PDA

View Full Version : 44 dragons == out of warranty?

LoydB
01-03-2008, 02:33 PM
I was looking at the amazing dragon carving in the customer gallery, and notice that it takes 4.5 hours to carve. This means that if you did 44 of them, your machine would then be out of warranty? And no extended warranty is available?

I really want one of these, but the whole 200 hour thing doesn't fill me with confidence that this is a solid piece of gear.

Loyd

edit: to fix spelling

gmalanoski
01-03-2008, 03:04 PM
I believe this is the case and fully intend on taking advantage of that (as it nears) considering mine died @ 14.5hrs....

DocWheeler
01-03-2008, 03:06 PM
Loyd,

I never looked at it that way, that is interisting. I carved some lithopanes and a name-plate last weekend 500 lithopanes and 100 nameplates = 200 hours hmmmmmm.

I'm not sure that you are looking at things the way that I do. The machine is addicting for what it can teach you, looking at that other way does not appeal to me. You will learn somethings about the machine and about yourself as well if you are up to it. As you can tell from a lot of posts here, it brings out both your good points and some bad points.

LoydB
01-03-2008, 03:13 PM
I'm sure it can teach me a lot -- but I don't want one of the lessons to be "congrats, insert another $2K to continue" 3 months after I buy one.

Jeff_Birt
01-03-2008, 03:36 PM
I guess I fail to see the point. If I bought a pickup and hauled freight coast to coast, I guess I would only get around 40 trips before the 100,000 mile warranty is up. But I didn't buy a pick-up to haul freight, I bought it to haul stuff around town, a few trips out of state, etc. If one needed to rack up hundreds of thousands of miles in a short order hauling freight a pickup would not be the proper tool, a big rig would be more sensible.

Same goes with the CW, its not the tool to run 40 hrs a week, that is not what it was designed for. The tool you choose has to fit the job.

Hawg_man
01-03-2008, 05:24 PM
I've had mine 10 months and have completed over 100 projects with an average carve time of 50-70 minutes and for a bobbyist this is a deal. The longest carve was 5 hrs but that is not typical. Only problem I've had is a torn traction belt............great deal for the money

Bob