PDA

View Full Version : CW for Arch. Modelmaking?

roosterize
01-02-2008, 09:21 AM
I've been looking at the CW as a tool for architectural modelmaking using wood. I was wondering if anyone out there is using the CW for this or something similar. It's my understanding that the CW uses only raster files and I'm questioning the accuracy of the finished product, knowing that line variations/irregularities can occur when converting a CAD file to raster.

I guess my question is: Can the CW cut out precise pieces of basswood (1/8" thick) consistently from raster files converted from CAD files?
I know the 1/8" thickness is an issue - I guess it would have to be temporarily laminated to a thicker board while cutting.

Just wondering if the CW would offer any advantage over conventional woodworking tools?

Any CW owners out there live near Greensboro, NC where I could see a CW in action?

Thanks for any advice you may offer,
Sean

HighTechOkie
01-02-2008, 09:59 AM
You would need to recreate your designs in the Designer software, but then they would cut the outline in vector mode and ensure dimensional accuracy.

If your material is 1/8", you would simple stick it(using double stick carpet tape or similar) to a thicker board to get a combined thickness of 1/2" or greater.

Regarding the advantage over conventional woodworking tools, The two biggest advantages are accuracy and I don't have to be the one running the tool, so I can be doing other things.....until it errors or I have to load a different bit :D.

Rob

Dan-Woodman
01-02-2008, 04:47 PM
I've never tried cutting Basswood with a spiral endmill, but it doesn't sound like it would leave a very smooth finish, considering other woods like Pine doesn't leave a very smooth finish. Scrollsaws with PGT reverse tooth blades work really well, and can cut 1/8" material stacked up an inch or more depending on your saw.

later Daniel

Router-Jim
01-02-2008, 04:59 PM
Hey Sean, I love my machine but I want to give you my honest opinion.

For architectural modelmaking I think you will be disappointed. Not in the machine but in the software. I would recommend that you try the free trail software and see if it's capable of doing what you want.

Sorry guys, that's just my honest opinion.

Jim

roosterize
01-02-2008, 05:57 PM
I appreciate the advice. After downloading and trying the software I quickly realized that the software is the weak link. However, I have to redraw the model components anyway even if I was using conventional tools, so it's just a matter of 'drafting' in the Designer program (Not quite the same as AutoCAD).

Any word yet on when a CAD compatible version will be available??

Thanks again,
Sean