PDA

View Full Version : Tips and Tricks Topic Suggestions

mtylerfl
01-01-2008, 08:02 PM
Hello All,

As we enter the new year, I was thinking that it might be a nice idea to ask the forum members if they have any topic ideas for the CarveWright Tips & Tricks Newsletter that you would like to see covered this year. I get suggestions via email, but never have posted a query on the Forum.

I'll start out with one suggestion...

"How to Make & Use Sleds"

swhitney
01-01-2008, 08:58 PM
This would be a great topic, and might help to explain the function(s) of the sled to the newbie as well as the seasoned veteran!!!

Others might include "The Care and Cleaning of Your New Toy" or "Routine Maintenence I Should Be Doing"

Lin
01-01-2008, 09:08 PM
Michael,
One that I'm sure several out there would like covered besides me is how to do a cut path when merging two or more pattterns. I know that is has been touched on here on the forum...but a total step by step on how to do the separate pattern from another graphics program and how the entire thing works...ya know the depths...heights and such...and how do you know what size and grayscale color(s) to make this other pattern that you will pull in?

I also like the other suggestions so far.
Lin

ChrisAlb
01-02-2008, 04:42 AM
Good Morning Everyone,

I have to say Michael, the sleds topic would be very helpful to me. Thus far I've only built and used one small sled for scanning some small irregular shaped items. I've seen so much talk about them in the forums it's becoming obvious to me there are far more uses for sleds of various sizes than I'm aware of.

I'm sure most out there can figure it all out but a topic on various sizes and the uses for each (both carving & scanning) would be very helpful.

HighTechOkie
01-02-2008, 09:49 AM
Since a sled is just another shop jig, why not discuss the jigs in general. Each person has a slightly different procedure for using their machine, therefore the sled should be designed by the user to accomodate how the user works. Jig design concepts carry over to other useful projects for the CW as well. Definitely a topic that needs covered (and discussed further).

A couple other ideas came to mind,
The use of Surfaces and/or Textures
Mold making with the CW (not sure if anyone is presently doing this, but would be awesome for candles/soap/etc.)

I would add a note in the Jan issue regarding shop temps as the winter months are upon us. Could include the "what to do with your sawdust" section :)

Rob

HighTechOkie
01-02-2008, 04:59 PM
Another suggestion would be focused on portraits and lithopanes. Especially with Valentines and wedding season approaching.

Rob

Dan-Woodman
01-02-2008, 05:14 PM
I personnally would like to see items kept seperate that are make in Designer as opposed to others made in programs such as Corel.etc.

Not all of us have any other programs ,or if we did would'nt know how to use them.
Until the CW came along my computer was just for e-mail, and sign making layout in Print Artist.

I'm very proud of my accomplishments with this computer since the cw,and I'm learning more all the time.
later Daniel

Bubbabear
01-02-2008, 07:38 PM
I know I have asked about Portraits. I know i have asked about them shown a photo told way to difficult to do them. them next thing i know someone else ask post photo and 10 minutes someone has them a ptn to work from. so yes i wouls love a help on this

Another suggestion would be focused on portraits and lithopanes. Especially with Valentines and wedding season approaching.

Rob

jwhllh55
01-03-2008, 12:45 PM
Everyone has had great suggestions, as a matter of fact, there are more than anyone can count. From sleds to software. I would keep the simple things first. I have invested in a probe and haven't used it yet. The cost of the probe was high and I'm afraid to use it until I understand how it works. We all have had error messages during the use of the craver and if I have the same problems with the probe, I would not know what to do to fix it.

For example, the sled sizes vary from small and short to large and tall @ 5 inches. I have read so much about the sleds that I'm totally confused at this point. If there was just a starting point and a step by step to do something simple to learn what sled to build and what the probe should do and what to look for when it starts to scan. And yes I watched the video and it helped, but more detail is needed. Just call me dumb, I guess, but I would love to see a little more detail in the use of the probe and sleds.
Thanks all,
John Hammett

mtylerfl
01-03-2008, 01:14 PM
Hello John,

You may find the video I made of the scanning probe in action, helpful for you. Nothing to be afraid of. It's really quite easy to use.

Maybe the video will make you feel a bit more comfortable in trying the probe. Here's the link to the video...

http://www.carvebuddy.com/scanningvideo_how_it_works.html

Here's a link to building plans for a simple sled to use for scanning...
http://www.carvebuddy.com/PDFs/SCANNING_SLED_PLAN_3-PAGES.pdf

Dale in Anaheim
01-03-2008, 01:22 PM
I'll chime in with a vote in favor of some discussion about sleds, that seems like a great idea. While there have been many (very helpful) posts related to that subject here on the forums; it seems to me that there is also an abundance of confusion when it comes to the proper use of a sled.

First off, there seem to be many differences in the way sleds are made for scanning versus carving. Many people (including me when I first started) do not seem to grasp the concept that there is a difference. Some people may think that one sled will do it all (I did) when in fact it may not be that easy. A discussion of the differences, especially related to the height of the rails, on a scanning sled (as high or higher than the object being scanned) versus the height of the rails for a carving sled (same height as the project board) would be nice.

Secondly, many of the terms used to describe sleds are tossed around interchangeably on here. Sled, carrier board, sacrificial board, end rail, side rail, scrap piece, filler, etc... it seems as if one mans sled is another mans carrier board and one mans filler is another mans scrap. This sort of loosey goosey use of phraseology is all very confusing to a newb. I have been reading about sleds for six months now and I still get confused trying to follow a conversation about them in these forums if I do not pay careful attention to the discussion.

Some well thought out discussion with detailed pictures and meaningful application of appropriate terms would help. Something to both define the sled making craft as it relates to sled use in the machine, as well as provide more detail into what many seem to feel is an area wanting for better instructions. Yes, that is definitely something I would love to see LHR tackle and set the standard on.

Thanks,
Dale

Thumper
01-03-2008, 04:20 PM
Great idea Mike, I need all the help I can get. I think that the tips and tricks is the greatest.
Ken

liquidguitars
01-03-2008, 08:03 PM
I made a few images to show "how to setup a sled for Designer" for parts, using plywood and how best to index the sled for the Carvewright.

http://liquidguitars.com/html/tips_and_tricks.html

LG

Gunner
01-04-2008, 08:19 AM
Thanks for the info LG. Very nice.

Gunner

liquidguitars
01-04-2008, 09:02 PM
Thanks, I will try to update the sled info as much as i can.

LG

marinan
02-01-2008, 09:50 PM
I'll chime in with a vote in favor of some discussion about sleds, that seems like a great idea. While there have been many (very helpful) posts related to that subject here on the forums; it seems to me that there is also an abundance of confusion when it comes to the proper use of a sled.

First off, there seem to be many differences in the way sleds are made for scanning versus carving. Many people (including me when I first started) do not seem to grasp the concept that there is a difference. Some people may think that one sled will do it all (I did) when in fact it may not be that easy. A discussion of the differences, especially related to the height of the rails, on a scanning sled (as high or higher than the object being scanned) versus the height of the rails for a carving sled (same height as the project board) would be nice.

Secondly, many of the terms used to describe sleds are tossed around interchangeably on here. Sled, carrier board, sacrificial board, end rail, side rail, scrap piece, filler, etc... it seems as if one mans sled is another mans carrier board and one mans filler is another mans scrap. This sort of loosey goosey use of phraseology is all very confusing to a newb. I have been reading about sleds for six months now and I still get confused trying to follow a conversation about them in these forums if I do not pay careful attention to the discussion.

Some well thought out discussion with detailed pictures and meaningful application of appropriate terms would help. Something to both define the sled making craft as it relates to sled use in the machine, as well as provide more detail into what many seem to feel is an area wanting for better instructions. Yes, that is definitely something I would love to see LHR tackle and set the standard on.

Thanks,
Dale
Were you able to get any MORE information concerning tips, etc.? marinan