PDA

View Full Version : Catching sound when the wood is rolling

MajorHavoc
12-31-2007, 08:41 PM
I just noticed today a catching sound when the wood is rolling through the machine. It sounds like one of the gears is gummed up with sawdust or shavings. It really sounds bad and I am concerned that I may damage the machine if I continue to use it like this, additionally when the catching sound occurs it doesn't move smoothly through the machine.

Can anyone help me figure out how to get to the gears that roll the sandpaper belts? I didn't want to attempt to open it up, as I've never done this before, without having some idea of what to expect.

MajorHavoc
12-31-2007, 09:49 PM
I ran across the parts list PDF (thanks forum) and was able to track down the problem. It seems that the inside gear on the X - Drive Motor Mount Assembly (part #104) has been stripped. After reading another post (thanks again forum) I remember how this happened. A few weeks ago I was having an issue with a board catching inside of the machine and couldn't figure out what was going on... until I measured it. It was 1/16 of an inch wider at one end than the other. Now, I could have sworn I checked that but evidently I didn't. Like they say, measure twice, cut once. I had gotten in a hurry and felt it was a problem with the machine, it didn't occur to me until too late that it was my mistake. Another lesson learned.

So, does anyone know where I can get one of those really quick like? :(

Digitalwoodshop
01-01-2008, 11:17 AM
Here are some pictures of what you are dealing with. An inspection and gear cleaning is in order.

AL

MajorHavoc
01-01-2008, 07:30 PM
Thanks Al, this is exactly where the problem is. On the last photo that you posted it is the inner gear that is the problem. It currently has less than half of its teeth remaining. But there is enough tooth left on the broken ones for it to work somewhat, so it took me a little while before I knew that I had a problem. I believe that it was an earlier post from you that led me in the right direction.