PDA

View Full Version : Design offset

DrBob
12-31-2007, 09:16 AM
Does anybody have any idea why I would get an offset chamfer from a 90 degree bit that was dead over the holes in designer but not on the board..everything else cut right. Photos attached.
Disigner 1.125
Bob

Bubbabear
12-31-2007, 09:44 AM
If your talking about what i am seeing turn off the feathering. It is auto set to 1/4

DrBob
12-31-2007, 10:02 AM
I used a 90 degree to give my holes a small chamfer of .075 dp.
Their is no feather opt. it was a direct bit and depth selection by me.
Bob

DrBob
12-31-2007, 10:13 AM
Also I was watching the carving and it did what it was supose to do but in the wrong spot and there was no roller slipage that I could see
Bob

Jeff_Birt
12-31-2007, 10:32 AM
This is a classic case of 'stair stepping'. Your stock is slipping on the board tracking sensor (little brass wheel with O-ring in front) so the machine can't keep proper track of where it is at.

The main causes are a board with a slick finish, defects on the edge contacting the board tracking sensor, a cupped board, improper down pressure or the rear guide being too tight causing the board to bind a bit.

Al, a.k.a. 'DigitalWoodshop', came up with the idea of putting a piece of painters tape along the edge of the board that contacts the tracking sensor. This gives the knurled part of the sensor something to bite into. It works great and I would highly recommend it. Also, the rear, sliding guide, should not be tight to your board. You need about a 1/32" or so gap in there.

If you do a search for "stair stepping" (include the quotes) you will find LOTS more information on the subject.

DrBob
12-31-2007, 10:45 AM
Thanks Jeff
I guess the board must have moved between my carving and the routing of the edge and I did not see it.
Taking a closer look at my carvings the hole chafter and carving are equal to each other...which says to me that the board tracking sensor slipped.
I will try the masking tape trick. I am going to attempt this again, and, hopefully it will work.

Thanks
Bob