PDA

View Full Version : Is this machine right for me?

ArcadEd
12-30-2007, 10:03 PM
I've been researching this machine for a few days, and despite the many bad reviews of breakage, I think it might work out well for me. I had a few questions though.

First I'll will briefly state what I do. I build custom home arcade systems, and I do have a large 48x60 CNC router, so I am very familiar with CNCs in general, and cad software. Most of the stuff I cut is very simple, holes, and profile cut around the edge. The items I want to cut with this machine are my smaller parts (the largest being 15"x10")

Questions:
1. Does this system work for doing profile cuts? How does it hold the wood in place, along with the "excess" wood around the edge when it does the final profile pass?

2. What RPM does the router run at? I cut 3/4" Melamine coated particle board, will this system handle that? I don't mind cutting in several passes.

3. Will the bottom area, that looks like sand paper, scratch the melamine? I cut from the bottom, so the top of the piece is actually facing down.

4. Will it be easy to transfer my cad files for use with this machine? Any chance of getting G-Code support anytime?

5. Can you use any size router bit in this machine, right now I tend to use 3/8" Plunge cutting straight bits. Does the software give you the opportunity to say what size bit you want to use?

6. Does the system allow you to cut in multiple passes?

I think that's it. I really appreciate anyone that can help.

Ed

Digitalwoodshop
12-30-2007, 11:10 PM
I think the Carve machine will have limitations but I think it will free up the big machine for the bigger jobs.

I have 2 machines so I have a backup.

Questions:

1. Does this system work for doing profile cuts? How does it hold the wood in place, along with the "excess" wood around the edge when it does the final profile pass?

It will do a profile and the a cut path to cut your parts. With Cut Path it leaves little tabs automatically.

2. What RPM does the router run at? I cut 3/4" Melamine coated particle board, will this system handle that? I don't mind cutting in several passes.

It has a computer controlled cut motor but I don't know the RPM. It has a 1 inch max cut depth with the 1/8 inch cut bit. It will take about 5 passes to cut 3/4 inch wood.

3. Will the bottom area, that looks like sand paper, scratch the melamine? I cut from the bottom, so the top of the piece is actually facing down.

Face down on a carrier board or sled is your best bet. If you are doing a cut path then the 14 inch wide carrier board is the trick to letting you tell the board thickness or the computer measures it based on the right side guide.

You could do a cut and depth the same way except it will not leave a tab and the part could jam.

4. Will it be easy to transfer my cad files for use with this machine? Any chance of getting G-Code support anytime?

Don't know the answer but it looks like you will need to manually enter the drawing unless the software guys have a trick.

5. Can you use any size router bit in this machine, right now I tend to use 3/8" Plunge cutting straight bits. Does the software give you the opportunity to say what size bit you want to use?

As long as your bit is in the Designer Selection you can use it.

Designer is FREE to test and look around.

6. Does the system allow you to cut in multiple passes?

It only cuts in multi passes, a little at a time.

Good Luck

AL

If you post what part of the country you are in, you might have someone to show you a system.

OR... Buy one.... Don't like it, sell it.... Resale is high on them.

ArcadEd
12-30-2007, 11:36 PM
Thanks Al,
I think I might pick one up and try it out. I'm not sure how else I will be for sure whether it will work for my needs or not.

Just playing around the software a bit and I able to import a graphic and seemed to work. (DXF to Illustrator to jpg). I'm not if the size is right, I will need to play around with it more.

What do you mean by little tabs? I've seen that mentioned a few times on these forums and I'm not sure I'm getting it.

Looks like 3/8th straight bit is an option. Does it still work in 5 passes, or does it adjust based on the bith size? Typical rule is cut as deep as your bit is wide, curious if the software/system follows that same rule.

Thanks again.

jlitz
12-30-2007, 11:46 PM
Just playing around the software a bit and I able to import a graphic and seemed to work. (DXF to Illustrator to jpg). I'm not if the size is right, I will need to play around with it more.

Depending upon the desired carving, you can potentially skip the "to jpg" step and go from Illustrator to an MPC file. This may be a better option for certain effects http://allcw.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=301.

Jeff_Birt
12-31-2007, 08:21 AM
jlitz's ai to MPC converter works great. I have made raster images out of my vector graphics in the past and imported/made patterns out of them in Designer and then used 'Outline patterns' to generate the:)
sorry, they vector path in Designer. This works well if you use PNGs or GIFs but using the ai to MPC is faster and does a better job.

The JPG compression scheme leaves extras pixels around the edges of the objects in the image. These artifacts can really screw up the process when used to generate patterns in Designer. PNG is your best format for importing into Designer to make patterns.

ArcadEd
12-31-2007, 09:27 AM
After doing some more reading, it looks like I have to use the 1/8th bit to do any kind of cut paths? I'm not sure how long that bit will hold up cutting melamine. If it's anything like the rotozip bits, it won't last long.

That ai conversion program looks good, I'm still trying to make it work. Keep getting PDF not supported, even though I'm saving as ai, or legacy ai. I'll check that thread for answers though.

Jeff_Birt
12-31-2007, 10:35 AM
The 1/8" cutting bits are solid carbide and not even comparable to the roto-zip bits (which are designed to be cheap). I have found that the bit adapters wear out before the cutting bit does but as you know cutting any type of processed wood product is harder on cutting tools than wood alone.

jlitz
12-31-2007, 11:25 AM
That ai conversion program looks good, I'm still trying to make it work. Keep getting PDF not supported, even though I'm saving as ai, or legacy ai. I'll check that thread for answers though.

Only ai versions 3 to 8 are supported.

Illustrator CS3, for example, lists ai versions 9 & 10 as "legacy", but those are still PDF.

ArcadEd
12-31-2007, 12:20 PM
Only ai versions 3 to 8 are supported.

Illustrator CS3, for example, lists ai versions 9 & 10 as "legacy", but those are still PDF.

Yup, I figured it out. You can set the legacy down to 8 and it worked fine.

Very nice program, thank you.

I ordered the system from sears today and paid the 200 more for the 3 year warranty. Plus with a 90 day return policy, I figured I might as well give it a shot :).

Thanks for all the help.

ArcadEd
12-31-2007, 12:26 PM
Is there a way to simulate the cutting process, or get an estimated time it will take to complete the job?

mtylerfl
12-31-2007, 12:30 PM
Yup, I figured it out. You can set the legacy down to 8 and it worked fine.

Very nice program, thank you.

I ordered the system from sears today and paid the 200 more for the 3 year warranty. Plus with a 90 day return policy, I figured I might as well give it a shot :).

Thanks for all the help.

You mean there is an Extended Warranty now available for the machine??

For real? I know that there was a huge debate about that earlier this year - maybe Sears really has one now. (They were selling them, but we all found out that it was in error and most folks got a refund for the "warranty" that really did not exist for the CompuCarve - Sears was selling a "generic" BenchTop tool warranty that did not actually cover the CompuCarve.)

Please let us know. Thanks.

Bubbabear
12-31-2007, 12:35 PM
Extended warranty sounds good. But i bet after the first year we couldnt call LHR direct and get the parts like we do now. Probably have to wait 10 to 14 days for sears to send a tech out to work on it for you. and then he would look at it decided what he needs for parts and come back another two weeks later

ArcadEd
12-31-2007, 12:40 PM
Extended warranty sounds good. But i bet after the first year we couldnt call LHR direct and get the parts like we do now. Probably have to wait 10 to 14 days for sears to send a tech out to work on it for you. and then he would look at it decided what he needs for parts and come back another two weeks later

From what the girl told me, I just bring it in and they will replace it. Because of "issues" they had repairing them, they are just replacing them now. I don't know how true this is.

The nice thing is, I can cancel the extended warranty at any time up to the first year.

jlitz
12-31-2007, 12:44 PM
Is there a way to simulate the cutting process, or get an estimated time it will take to complete the job?

There's no cutting simulation. For the time estimate, you need to upload the project to the memory card.

ArcadEd
12-31-2007, 09:45 PM
I just thought of something while reading through the forums, and I noticed someone mention using dark wood and having to "fool" the sensor.

I mostly cut black melamine wood, will I have a problem? The last think I want to do is coat every cut with masking tape :).

Jeff_Birt
12-31-2007, 09:53 PM
You only need to tape where the machine measures the board which amounts to a strip of tape across the length and width or your stock.

ArcadEd
12-31-2007, 09:54 PM
You only need to tape where the machine measures the board which amounts to a strip of tape across the length and width or your stock.

Oh thank goodness. Thanks :).

Vern R.
12-31-2007, 10:02 PM
I live in everett WA i just got my compucarve and have not got it fig.out yet isthere anyone close to learn from

Sarge
12-31-2007, 11:05 PM
I live in everett WA i just got my compucarve and have not got it fig.out yet isthere anyone close to learn from

I live near Portland, Oregon. I've had people travel down from Seattle to get a demo or some type of tutorial. Drop me an email if you're up to the trip.

TIMCOSBY
01-02-2008, 02:07 AM
waranty that came up on the screen was $299 when i bought the second machine.

Paul Brown
01-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Big Ed, Did you say that a 3 yr. warrnaty is available now? The Sears store here in Jasper, Tx. told me that they were'nt even offering one back when I purchasd mine back in June of last year. Would like to know. Thanks.

nirmala
01-02-2008, 12:49 PM
Currently the manufacturers of the CarveWright/CompuCarve machines do not offer an extended warranty. Any inquiries regarding a Sears extended warranty would need to be addressed with Sears. In the meantime we have contacted Sears and are awaiting a response. As soon as we receive a response from Sears this posting will be updated.