PDA

View Full Version : Carving on raised surface, what am I doing wrong??

Virginia Beach Carver
12-30-2007, 01:16 PM
OK here is my problem or at least the one someone here might be able to help. I am trying to take a picture of a bass (.ptn) and have it carve over a raised pattern (.ptn) which I made from an outline of the same bass and having no luck at all. Played with the depth and height until my finger tips got sore with no luck. What am I doing wrong? I want to create a bass which will be a little less than an inch thick and have the scales and fins drawn of it down the contours of my raised fish outline so when it is hung on the wall it looks like a ½ cast or ½ mount. Is there anyway to do what I am trying to do?

HighTechOkie
12-30-2007, 01:24 PM
You might try playing with addative merge and see if that gets you closer. Also, if you would atrach the MPC file for your project, we can help you out better.

Rob

mtylerfl
12-30-2007, 01:59 PM
...or you could go the easy route and simply purchase a Bass Pattern from us;) - they carve very nicely at the deeper depths like what you're wanting (you shouldn't go deeper than .75" because the CarveWright carving bit is only designed for a maximum 3/4" depth).

Virginia Beach Carver
12-30-2007, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the advice but I really like the file I am trying to use and if I just buy one I'm not going to learn anything. My goal is to learn how to do this, it a character flaw I can't let it beat me.

I will keep playing with it. I will try the addative merge and see what that does. Thanks to both of you for the help.

mtylerfl
12-30-2007, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the advice but I really like the file I am trying to use and if I just buy one I'm not going to learn anything. My goal is to learn how to do this, it a character flaw I can't let it beat me.

I will keep playing with it. I will try the addative merge and see what that does. Thanks to both of you for the help.

Hello Virginia Beach Carver,

Please post your mpc (as long as it does not contain a commercial pattern). That will enable us to help you in a much more specific way - and let you know if what you are trying to do is even possible with what you are working with. Might save you some time!

bjbethke
12-30-2007, 07:28 PM
Hi I saw your post under this thread

(mtylerfl

(Quote) "Please post your mpc (as long as it does not contain a commercial pattern). "

I used your JPEG to make a pattern for my self. I am not sure if this JPEG is covered under your copywriting or not.

I like to make my own patterns. I use lots of items I find in the net. Thanks for the photo. This is my mpc.

TIMCOSBY
12-31-2007, 03:04 AM
1/8" to 1/4" depth or thickness is all i have been able to get out of photos. it aparentlty takes a more sofisticated (artcam etc $$$$) to get the depth.

hotpop
12-31-2007, 05:22 PM
Virgina Beach Carver

Not sure if this is what your looking for. I put the fish depth to.75 and the height to 999.

If you more rounded appearance the middle of the fish needs to be near white and the edges near black.

I use a program called Paint.Net it free it has lots of plugins for extra affects. It's free at http://www.getpaint.net/

Virginia Beach Carver
01-01-2008, 07:40 AM
Thanks to each of you for the help and happy New Year to all. I was a power carver before I got the compucarver so I decided just to do a Bass like I had done fish in the pass, by hand. If I decide I want another one to give away I will take the time to scan it with the probe and then I'll have a pattern that I can share. Thanks to each of you for taking your time to help. A lot of really nice people here, glad I am a part of the "community" thanks for having me as a member. Jim