PDA

View Full Version : Traction Belt replacement

ChrisAlb
12-29-2007, 07:13 AM
Good morning everyone,

I have three questions.

How involved is it to change the traction belts?
What would cause the belts to tear like this with only a couple uses?
Can I trun this one around and use it until I can get a new one?

(aside from user error guys, I know how much we all like to blame ourselves but honestly, I'm really very careful about no rough edges, cups etc.etc.) I only use clean straight wood.

I've been searching the forums since 3am under Traction Belts. I've found "some" info about them but not enough.

I have the trouble shooting and parts list pdf.

The first little tear happened at about 8 hours of use months ago. This picture shows what happened yesterday. Which I'm sure is related to the initial "little" tear. About 60 hours on it now.

I'm a really good mechanic so I'm not afraid...lol

Ron Smith
12-29-2007, 07:39 AM
The first little tear happened at about 8 hours of use months ago. This picture shows what happened yesterday. Which I'm sure is related to the initial "little" tear. About 60 hours on it now.

I had the same issue occur with my first machine. Just a bad belt, I guess. I've had the same happen with my belt sander. The compression of the rollers is what keeps widening the tear. I took the belt off and actually trimmed th first inch off all the way around, then put it back on with the trimmed edge away from the keypad end. No noticable difference for the time it took to get the new belts sent. Not hard to do.

Ron

mtylerfl
12-29-2007, 07:42 AM
Hello Christopher,

Here is a link to the pdf instructions for changing the belts:
http://www.carvebuddy.com/PDFs/sandpaper_belt_change.pdf

You can purchase belts directly from LHR or from another source here:
Replacement Traction Belts for the CompuCarve™/CarveWright™ machines:
http://customsandingbelts.com/ (http://customsandingbelts.com/)
specify "j" material, Aluminum Oxide Open Coat W-15" x L-13" Grit-120 Dry

Kenm810
12-29-2007, 07:47 AM
Hey Chris Good Morning,

There is I’m sure, a list of reasons a traction belts may tear, one of the must common you all ready address by making sure there are no sharp edges or ends on your project board or sled if your using one. Another is to much pressure from the rollers, a few folks have posted that their down ward pressure reaches over 85 lb with one ratchet of the handle, others have said theirs reaches much more with one or two additional clicks of the handle. This can easily be checked with a bathroom scale. Another reason is the project board binding, that is often caused by the Sliding Guide Plate being to tight against the stock or being out of line with the Squaring Plate.
Plus it has been posted that folks have removed the torn part of a belt and continued to carve until their new belts arrived.

As an after thought watch that the traction belt is not tracking to one side or the other, just like a belt sander, it may track to the side and fold over on its self and tear.

Hope this helps a little

ChrisAlb
12-29-2007, 07:53 AM
Hello Christopher,

Here is a link to the pdf instructions for changing the belts:
http://www.carvebuddy.com/PDFs/sandpaper_belt_change.pdf

You can purchase belts directly from LHR or from another source here:
Replacement Traction Belts for the CompuCarve™/CarveWright™ machines:
http://customsandingbelts.com/ (http://customsandingbelts.com/)
specify "j" material, Aluminum Oxide Open Coat W-15" x L-13" Grit-120 Dry

Morning Michael,

Wow, links, instructions, pictures and sources...I've said it before.. you da man!

Thank you sir! I'm off to be a mecinic.....

ChrisAlb
12-29-2007, 07:59 AM
Hey Chris Good Morning,

or being out of line with the Squaring Plate.
Plus it has been posted that folks have removed the torn part of a belt and continued to carve until their new belts arrived.

As an after thought watch that the traction belt is not tracking to one side or the other, just like a belt sander, it may track to the side and fold over on its self and tear.

Hope this helps a little

Morning Ken,

The tracking is something I've suspected since day one. I did trim it once but I think today I'll remove it (practice anyway) trim it again and turn the tear away from the keypad side.

Head pressure sits at 75lbs.

Thanks also Ron, With all you smart folks out there, all I need CW for is ordering parts...lol Less than a year and under 65 hours...gee, I wonder if they'll give them to me...lol

Router-Jim
12-29-2007, 08:19 AM
Also check that the rubber O ring is riding in the groove on the brass tracking knob. Mine rolled off do to an imperfection on the bottom of a board that I was carving. The O ring was covered under warrenty but the belt is considered a consumable and is not.

Gunner
12-29-2007, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the link Michael. I'm going to have to get a bigger 3 ring binder for all these pdf's and notes. lol

Thanks,
Gunner

Digitalwoodshop
12-29-2007, 10:12 AM
I think board placement can have an effect on the belts too.

When you place a board in the unit and butt it up against the left guide rails I always place my fingers on the joint of board and the forward and rear guide. Double checking the gap.

I have found that when I am in a hurry and the forward part of the board it slightly away from the forward left guide when the board moves it's full length it is like turning your wheels on your car. The board migrated toward the center and when the board reverses sometimes it can butt up against the guide and put pressure on the sand paper belts causing a rip.

Neighbor, if you need a set of belts this weekend I have some extras.

digitalwoodshop@aol.com

AL

Sand Paper belts are not covered under warranty.

ChrisAlb
12-29-2007, 12:13 PM
OK guys,

Up, running and making dust again. Thanks to all of you for the help. And Gunner, I said EXACTLY the same thing to my wife this morning about the 3 ring binder...lol Mine hangs on the peg board right above the machine. Al, what can I say neighbor, thank you for the offer. I may take you up on it just to meet you in person and see your messy shop. I haven't been in down there in SNOWhola since I moved 10 years ago.

For what it's worth folks, here's my 2 cents and a couple pictures about the belt switching process. First off know this, it took me longer to write this and process the pics than to switch the belt around. Truly an easy fix.

Just a couple of things to watch for and a trick or two to help.

1) When removing the "left side" belt tray bolts be careful not to drop the little lock washers as they are recessed slightly under the left squaring plate making them hard to see. See Traction belt before pic & small lock washer pic.

2) If your vice is to small to compress the belt tray as mine was (no wise cracks please). Or you don't have a vice, you can use a bar clamp. If you have a vice I recommend clamping the bar clamp in it as I did to hold it all securely. See Bar Clamp pic. I actually prefer using the bar clamp if you intend to re-use the belt as the flat jaws are less likely to damage the belt further.

3) Clean clean clean... this is a perfect opportunity to clean your machine and especially the rubber roller on the belt tray. Mine "looked" pretty clean but my finger could feel the very small dust particles on it. See Clean Rollers pic.

4) My belt was in good shape other than the tear. If your's is like mine and you want to keep using it for lack of having a new one handy, I found a simple pair of sharp scissors made a nice clean cut. See fresh cut pic.

5) Last but not least, Make sure you adjust the Sliding plate upon reassembly BEFORE you tighten the screws. The instructions suggest using a "board" you know is parallel. I have a really nice, accurate table saw but I prefer to use my 24" square metal level to do this. Keeping in mind it's "Metal" I placed it "gently" against the left squaring plate, held it in place and lowered the head just enough to hold it firm. Then move the sliding plate against the level/straight edge and hold it while tightening the screws.

The whole process took me roughly 20 minutes and I'm carving again.

Hope this helps anyone with the same questions I had this morning.

mtylerfl
12-29-2007, 12:31 PM
Superb, Christopher!

Thanks for going through the time and effort of documenting your tips with photos. Much appreciated by all!

LollyWood
12-29-2007, 12:47 PM
Here, Here Chris,

Thanks for the Viz on the belt replacement. It took alot of the edge off when I switched mine out this AM. Thanks :D

Bernie :^)

Kenm810
12-29-2007, 01:00 PM
Traction Belt repair and replacement

It really reduces the dread and worry for us simple folk.
By far, less hair pulling and hand wringing.
When we have a few photos to help weather the tribulations.
Definitely an appreciated addition to my Three Ring

Thank again Chris

Dan-Woodman
12-29-2007, 07:58 PM
Michael T
The link you gave for the custom sanding belts, do they sell there belts with butt splices or overlap splices, very important as overlap splices with have a bump in them.
later Daniel

mtylerfl
12-29-2007, 09:23 PM
Michael T
The link you gave for the custom sanding belts, do they sell there belts with butt splices or overlap splices, very important as overlap splices with have a bump in them.
later Daniel

Hello Dan,

I believe they are butt splices (same as the CarveWright belts), but you may want to contact them directly to re-verify.