PDA

View Full Version : Brazilian Cherry

spike
12-28-2007, 07:38 PM
I purchase some Brazilian Cherry wood the other day along with other cherry wood. As this wood (Brazilian Cherry) is very hard I wanted to know if anyone else has tried carve with it. I don't want to ruin the cutters or some other part of the machine trying to carve it. Any advice would be helpful.

Spike

pkunk
12-28-2007, 08:38 PM
Never tried Brazilion cherry, but it can't be any harder than hard maple which carves nicely. The cutters are end mills, designed to cut metal, so hard wood won't hurt them.

Router-Jim
12-28-2007, 08:40 PM
It should carve beautifully.

Sarge
12-28-2007, 10:15 PM
Any harder than average wood (locust, cherry, ironwood, bubinga, etc) may cause some decent vibration if you're not using a fairly new cutting bit. I experienced this after months of using the same old bit. I had been carving mainly white and red oak, with some walnut. When I changed to cherry, it seemed very chattery. Changed bits and it seemed to cut smoother.:)

ChrisAlb
12-30-2007, 06:51 AM
I purchase some Brazilian Cherry wood the other day along with other cherry wood. As this wood (Brazilian Cherry) is very hard I wanted to know if anyone else has tried carve with it. I don't want to ruin the cutters or some other part of the machine trying to carve it. Any advice would be helpful.

Spike

Hi Spike,

I carve in Brazilian cherry all the time (one of my favorites) as well as African teak which is harder yet. The carvings come out BEAUTIFUL and the machine has NO problems at all handling it. Teak is SO dense it's one of the only woods that doesn't float. Sinks like a rock.

One note, Teak for example is so heavy that if I'm using anything over 24" in length I'll support it at both ends of the machine.

The fish is Brazilian Cherry... I just LOVE that wood...lol