PDA

View Full Version : Moving the Z-axis by hand

deemon328
12-28-2007, 06:07 PM
I'm still waiting on my Z pack, so I thought I'd try to get things working based on the tips on these forums.

When moving the Z-axis up and down by hand, does it require a lot of pressure to move and is the movement totally smooth and consistent over the entire length of travel? I'm putting like 7-8 pounds of pressure on it to make it move (based on a test done with my bathroom scale). It seems to have a little hitch in it about 3/4 of the way down where I have to use a little more pressure to get it past.

So, my next question is: does shop temperature affect how stiff this z-axis movement is--sort of like how you can't crank the head down when your shop is too cold? It just seems like if your shop was 75 degrees, this unit would seem to work better.

Thank you. Any opinions?

pkunk
12-28-2007, 06:33 PM
With the machine turned on the movement is stiff. You're trying to push against the servo motors which are energized. Turn it off for a few minutes and it will move easier.

deemon328
12-29-2007, 06:42 AM
Thanks for the tip. I did have the power off for 3 days.

Is it normal to find a little hitch in the travel sometimes too? How warm is your working area normally?