PDA

View Full Version : bitr removal

raboles
12-28-2007, 08:01 AM
I am frustrated. Not only do I get x axis errors every time I cant even figure out how to get the bit out. I tried by hand and with removal tool to the point I might bend the flange. Help.

Jeff_Birt
12-28-2007, 09:09 AM
Welcome to the forum.

Much has been written on the subject of the proper care and feeding of the chuck and bit adapters. In short the chuck must be kept clean and lubricated in order to work properly. The manual suggests 3-in-1 oil, I have found that a dry plate (spray on then it drys to a film) lubricant works better as it does not attract saw dust. You should also check the adapter set screws with each use as they can back out and cause problems.

I have found that by rotating the chuck a bit by hand and pulling up on it with each rotation will help. Once you get the collar to lift you can try rotating the adapter/bit counter clockwise while pulling down.

The most important thing is to keep the chuck clean.

BTW, the forum has a 'Search' tool that allows you to do a text based search of previous posts. This is a good place to look when you have a question as odds are it has been asked/answered before.

raboles
12-28-2007, 09:59 AM
Thanks for your help. No luck yet but will keep trying. I was looking for the info to take the chuck off but havent found it yet. I may have bent the the chuck flange so may have to replace it.

ruggybear
12-28-2007, 08:04 PM
Get the tools from Ron Justice (on this forum). You can change the chuck in less than 10 minutes with them.

Also last I knew the chuck available at Sears was not a direct replacement for the CC/CW machines. Something about the threads being different.

hotpop
12-28-2007, 09:20 PM
To remove a stuck bit. Hold the bit with a pair of pliers, lift up on the chuck collar and rotate it counter clockwise.

If the collar won't lift then one of the set screws is jammed against the collar.

Keep wiggling the bit and rotating until you get it out.

Don't assume that the factory ships tight set screws as I did. Remove each screw. Add a drop of Loc-tight Blue (available at most home centers and auto supples) to the threads and re-tighten. Full cures takes 24 hrs.

I don't use any lube on the under side of the chuck just a drop of 3in1 on top of the collar is all it needs. Blow out the bottom of the chuck occasionally.