PDA

View Full Version : Did I get a lemon?

gorchris1
12-27-2007, 09:10 PM
Anyone ever had an issue with the chuck? I've been snapping bits(new)for the last 2 weeks. Bits seem to lock in place but after about a minute or so, bits becomes loose at the chuck. "wobbles" 2 bits have even been thrown right out of the chuck. I've destroyed the last few Christmas projects. Looking at the bit adapters, the chuck is chewing them up. I've gone through 2 carving bits and 2 cutting bits. One of each were brand new.
This isn't the worst of it, at first I was getting an error message to insert the wood when the wood was in already. Come to find out that the front rollers weren't compressed. I'm sure all it need is adjustments but support won't call me back. I have to push down on the front rollers slightly and then lock it down for the project to start. I actually got a call from the supervisor for support to apologize that no one has called me and assured me that someone would call me today. I thought it was weird for him to call for that reason. I just want answers. Needless to say, no one still called me back. :(

Jeff_Birt
12-27-2007, 10:08 PM
Welcome to the forum,

While I do recall that a few folks have gotten a bad check off the bat, for the most part problems with the adapter/bits coming loose are related to not installing it into the chuck properly or not maintaining the chuck properly. If you had one come loose it may have damaged the chuck as it came loose.

I'll try to give you a few pointers off the top of my head and invite you to try the forums 'Search' feature. You'll find that 'search' will be your best friend as you can find answers to most common problems with a few minutes of searching (or at least come away with a better idea of what the problem my or may not be).

The chuck and adapters need to be lubricated with each use. CarveWright suggests 3-in-1 oil in the users manual. Several folks (including me) have been using dry lubricants (they spray on and then dry to a film) instead as oil will attract saw dust. You also need to wipe down the inside of the chuck after each use. Since I am using a dry lube I also blow the chuck clear with compressed air and the end of each carving section and then give it a wipe with dry lube sprayed on a rag.

The adapters should also be checked with each use. Make sure the set screws are tight and that the bit/adapter does not wiggle when inserted into the chuck.

Also, you want to make sure that you stock ALWAYS stays under the rollers. This can be accomplished several different ways. Try searching for some tips on this subject or check out this last months tips and tricks newsletter on CW's main website.

Durtdawber
12-27-2007, 10:15 PM
I'll give you my .02 worth on this subject...

I install the bit in the chuck a little different than the manual directs. Instead of just "cocking" the holder then pushing the bit in till it clicks, I actuall use two hand. One hand cocks the holder all the way up and I keep it held up. The other hand inserts the bit and holds it in place. I then push down with the first hand on the chuck to ensure that the bit is seated properly and locked into place.

This process requires you to bend down and look at the chuck straight on while you do this but this way I know for a fact that the bit is installed properly.

gorchris1
12-27-2007, 10:29 PM
I guess I use the 2 handed application myself. Right after installing the bit and the sleeve portion slides back down. I take a scrap piece of stock and try to wiggle the bit. The 10% of the time that the bit stays locked in, I have a heck of a time trying to get the bit out after I'm done. You should see the bit removal tool. I'm telling you the chuck is messed up.

jwhllh55
12-28-2007, 03:26 AM
You are not the only pebble on the beach... I think at one time or another we all have had a stuck chuck. I have found that putting a little lub on the chuck adapter before inserting it, helps a lot. Once the bit is locked into place the craving goes well. About removing the bit to change to a different bit, comes the problem. Using the tool to get the chuck loose is a good start, then I use the hands to remove the bit. And yes my tool looks like hell too. I wiggle and push and pull, until the bit comes out. But like I said, using a little lub helps in the removal. After the bit adator is used a little, it easier to get out.
I like the design and it works great. However, it would be great if the chuck was a little easier to use..

ChrisAlb
12-28-2007, 04:56 AM
I have found that after each use if I just lift the collar (no bit in it) and allow it to "snap" back down several times I get a lot of dust and chips out of the chuck. Like Jeff, I also use compressed air to blow it out but then snapping it gets even more. I also inspect the bit adapters for any dust that's gotten "packed" around it. As of yet I have not used any lube. You Definitely should but as of yet, I've had no chuck related problems at all.

The path to a mean machine is to KEEP IT CLEAN! LOL

Rex Wingate
12-28-2007, 07:08 AM
You also have three little check balls up inside your chuck. They have little springs in the back of them that get stuck with rust and dust etc.. It may also help to clear with PB rust and lubricated after each use.

rex

The "DH"
12-29-2007, 09:00 AM
I have had both stuck bits and bits that will not lock in place. I use the two hand method. I also put alittle 3in1 on the bit. I took a basketball/football pump needle and bent it at a 90, placed it on my compressor and blow out the chuck while moving it up and down after each project, this has improved both problems.

hotpop
12-29-2007, 12:10 PM
gorchrist1

Chances are that if you through a tool bit while starting a carving the metal part on the bottom of the chuck is chewed up. Take a mirror and look up into the chuck and see if the lower metal edges inside the chuck are chewed up. If it is then the latching mechanism does not come down all the way to push the three balls into the groove on the adapter.

You will need to remove the chuck. Once removed, see if you can get the outer collar pulled up to expose the metal edges. If you can't, it is not repairable. If you can, remove any metal burrs that prevent it from seating. You will see the three balls pushed towards the center. I used a Dremel tool w/ a fine stone to remove the burrs. If you can't get the chuck to operate freely you might as well throw it away and get a new one.

CW sells them for $30. I bought an extra one for myself because I was careless and screwed up my last one so bad I couldn't repair it.

Good Luck!

hotpop
12-29-2007, 12:51 PM
Rex Wingate

You said, They have little springs in the back of them that get stuck with rust and dust etc..

There are no little springs behind the balls. There is however one large compression spring that pushes against a sleeve which slides down and pushes all three balls at the same time.

Sorry photos are a blurry. Cheap camera!

The little shiny thing on the first photo is one of the balls. On the second photo you can see the spring.

The "DH"
12-30-2007, 07:18 AM
I have taken two apart and both didn't have any springs behind the bearings, just the large compresson spring!!!!! Is this a flaw or a design change on later editions?

stephanilynn
01-30-2009, 02:45 PM
I was so excite to get this machine, i had read all the great things people have said about it and it sounded great. Unfortunately I now think its a complete piece of crap and waste of money! I have never been able to get the bits tight from the day I opened it, at first I thought it was just me not installing it right so Ive had 3 other people try and every time they lock into place and 2 minutes into carving they're wobbling all over and when I actually do get them to stay tight and carve the quality of the carving is so bad it looks like an animal chewed the pattern. Im at a loss. Costumer service is NO help when they actually do have a suggestion or call me back the only advice they have is take the screws out and use locktight, which to me is alittle insulting. The manual came with my machine, If I wanted them to just read me an answer from the help tips I wouldn't waste my time calling. It would be nice for someone who actually knew about the machine to work for customer service.

Ike
01-30-2009, 02:55 PM
I was so excite to get this machine, i had read all the great things people have said about it and it sounded great. Unfortunately I now think its a complete piece of crap and waste of money! I have never been able to get the bits tight from the day I opened it, at first I thought it was just me not installing it right so Ive had 3 other people try and every time they lock into place and 2 minutes into carving they're wobbling all over and when I actually do get them to stay tight and carve the quality of the carving is so bad it looks like an animal chewed the pattern. Im at a loss. Costumer service is NO help when they actually do have a suggestion or call me back the only advice they have is take the screws out and use locktight, which to me is alittle insulting. The manual came with my machine, If I wanted them to just read me an answer from the help tips I wouldn't waste my time calling. It would be nice for someone who actually knew about the machine to work for customer service.

Is it a recondition CC from Sears? I ask because there is another post with kind of the same issues. So are you saying the bit won't stay in the holder or in the Quick release chuck? Sounds like you have a bad QC right out of the box.

We have a tech that pops in the forum maybe he can help point you in the right direction? ....Hint hint Barry or Alex?

Ike

stephanilynn
01-30-2009, 03:12 PM
No its not reconditioned. Its brand new that i ordered online from carvewright. I have maybe 15 hours on it and got so frustrated it just quit using it for the last couple months. The bits stay tight in the adapters but the adapters wiggle in the chuck after a couple of minutes and get the bb mark within 15 or 20 minutes. Ive cleaned it all out and oiled them and made sure the lines line up and everything people suggest and nothing works.

atauer
01-30-2009, 03:14 PM
I will admit that it is a little difficult to get the bits installed properly. I have been around the machine for well over a year now and I myself have difficulties every now and then.

There are actually numerous reasons as to why the bit will not stay in the quick change, including loctite missing from the set screws. If the screws on the adapter are loose, the bit is going to wiggle in the adapter. My first start would be to check the loctite on those screws.

Also, check the adapters for any imperfections, such as "bb" marks, dents, and even dings. A bad bit adapter will not seat properly, causing the bit to wiggle.

It is possible that you could have a bad bearing in the z-truck that is causing the issue. The only way to test for a bad bearing is to check the temperature of the z-truck. If it is excessively hot, it is possible that one of the bearings could be bad.

Call back in to our technical support and give the technicians a chance. As previously stated, there are several reasons as to why you could have this issue and it will take a little time to fully diagnose the correct cause. All of our technicians are trained on how to properly care and fully maintenance a machine, before they are brought in to the phones. They are also taught how to diagnose issues with the machine before being brought to the phones.

Give our techs a chance. They know what they are doing, but if they don't get cooperation from the customer on the issue(s), the problems will keep occurring.

Dan-Woodman
01-30-2009, 03:17 PM
check to make sure the screws in the adapter are not sticking out too far , especially on one side. Maybe the one screw is not alianed square with the flat spot on the bit.
later Daniel

stephanilynn
01-30-2009, 04:06 PM
I am more than happy to cooperate with anyone who can help.

I replaced all the adapters with new ones with no dents or marks. I cleaned the chuck and used the 3 in 1 oil. I put loctite on the screws and tightened them. Made sure the lines line up. Nothing is getting hot. Within 90 minutes i had to stop the machine and keep putting the bits in and out probably 40 times. nothing is keeping them tight. and the bb marks keep happening

i just bought 4 new adapters that should be here next week is there anything else that could be wrong?

cnsranch
01-30-2009, 04:08 PM
Steph -

Looking at your posts, it seems as though you've had bit problems from the beginning.

If a bit's "wobbly" it can only be a bad qc, bad adapter, or loose bit in the adapter.

If it's a bad qc, the bit won't be loose, and quite likely, there won't be "bb marks" on the adapter. it's the qc that's "flopping around", and would probably make one hell of a racket.

If it's a bad adapter, the likely problem is set screws that are too long - preventing the adapter from setting in the qc correctly. But, the adapter would probably fall out of the qc during a carve if that were the case.

So, that leaves loose screws. If you were able to tighten the set screws on the adapters, there wasn't any, or sufficient locktite on them. They can/will loosen without locktite, and locktite needs to cure for 24 hours before using the adapter.

If the adapters have developed "bb marks" on them, they need to be changed out immediately. The problem will only get worse, and will eventually ruin the qc (if it hasn't already).

Simply tightening the screws will only fix the problem for a short time. Spinning at 20,000 rpm, those screws will come loose.

Sorry, but the advice you got about fixing the screw problem was correct. But my bet is that you need new adapters, and quite possibly a new qc.

You've only had the machine for a few months - LHR should be able to help you here, but you have to trust that they know what they're doing.

***EDIT***

You posted while I was typing.....

If the red lines are lining up, and you're getting those marks on your adapters, the qc needs to be changed out.

But, you need to let the locktite set up for 24 hours before using the bits. it's like putting glue on two boards and trying to sit on them immediately - it ain't gonna hold you.

Are you using the bits from LHR, and are you sure you have them set at the appropriate height/depth in the adapter? If not, they could be bottoming out in the qc, not allowing the qc to lock in.

HelpBot3000
01-30-2009, 04:11 PM
Stop using the same QC. The damage has already been done to that QC and you will start a vicious cycle. You not only need to change the adapters but the Quick Change as well. A damaged QC will eat up new adapters and damaged bit adapters will destroy a new QC. You will need a new QC to end this cycle.

Jeff_Birt
01-30-2009, 04:19 PM
I think generally what happens is the a new owner does not understand how the QC works. So they don't get the adapter in right, it comes loose a few times and thrashes the QC. So then they start on the cycle of replacing adapters and cussing the machine. The problem is worse if one has never had any exposure to any type of machine tools and/or CNC equipment.

You should be able to lift up on the chuck collar and c0ck it (it stays up just a bit) then push the adapter up into the chuck. It makes a definite 'click' when it snaps in there. Next give the bit a wiggle, you should not feel it wiggle at all. It you don't feel the snap and/or the bit wiggles then STOP, do not pass Go, do not collect $200.

Everyone should go grab a copy of the QC bible: http://carvewright.com/downloads/Care_and_maintenance_of_the_QC.pdf, print it off and read it through a few times. Doing so will dramatically increase you happy quotient and reduce your blood pressure. :)

cnsranch
01-30-2009, 04:31 PM
Steph -

HB3K and Jeff are both correct.

The point I want to make is that there is not one of us here on the Forum (LHR included) that wants to see you get so frustrated that you throw in the towel. They can't continue to stay in business if their machines don't work - after all, who would buy something that's inferior (except for Kenm810 and his Yugo).

I can't back up the following statement with statistics (but I truly believe it):

The overwhelming majority of problems with the performance of the CarveWright/CompuCarve machine is operator related.

No offense, but when your check engine light comes on in your car, you better stop driving it and find out what's wrong - if you don't, the problem will compound. Your check engine light on the CW occurred with the first loose/wobbly/adapter/bad qc.

Like HB3K said, change the qc out now, use new adapters in the new qc, take a breath and have a blase like the rest of us.

stephanilynn
01-30-2009, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the help I dont mean to come off snotty im just frustrated. I could understant that he might be right about the screws and the locktight but when its been tried on several adapters and didn't help thats when i doubted him. It seems like others ive read about having to replace the qc had hundred of hours on their machines i didnt think i should have to replace it in the first week. Ill try changing the qc and see if that helps. I understand it takes time to get used to things and figure out how they work its just frustrating that i have hundreds of thousands of dollars of machinery in my shop and this little thing is the only one nobody can get working.

leesheridan
01-30-2009, 04:47 PM
You're not alone in having to replace the QC within the first week. My second machine had the same problem. My first unit had a few hundred hours before the problem came up. They work now but I have always lubed before each attachment of a bit aswell as cleaning out the QC and periodicly soaking the QC in penitrating oil. Welcome to our world. Just take a deep breath and realize that there is always over night shipping of parts.

Ike
01-30-2009, 07:29 PM
Is it a recondition CC from Sears? I ask because there is another post with kind of the same issues. So are you saying the bit won't stay in the holder or in the Quick release chuck? Sounds like you have a bad QC right out of the box.

We have a tech that pops in the forum maybe he can help point you in the right direction? ....Hint hint Barry or Alex?

Ike
Hmm I heard this somewhere! ;)

Ike