PDA

View Full Version : Spindle speeding up in the middle of a job

betacrash
12-27-2007, 09:31 AM
After my CC is running for about 10 or so minutes I will hear a very loud difference in the machine. It sounds like the cutter has doubled in speed. On the past 3 or 4 jobs that I have ran (signs, approx 1 hr each) I have seen a line where the head cuts a little deeper and continies at that depth for the rest of the job. Its probably a a difference of 1/32" or less, but it is a visible difference. any ideas would be appreciated.

Jeff_Birt
12-27-2007, 10:45 AM
Is your stock staying under the rollerss?

hotpop
12-27-2007, 12:42 PM
I had the same problem about a week ago. Traced the problem to the bit being loose in the adapter. I removed the bit and screws and soaked them in lacquer thinner a few minutes to remove any oils. Reassembled with Loc-tite Blue making sure the screws are seated against the flats. Note that the flats are longer then the screws are in diameter. When the screws touch the flats I make sure screws are at the lower end of the slot. I don't know it makes much difference but I know the bit can only creep in one direction if it loosens. I haven't had the problem again.

btw: Only the carving bit and cutting bit have flats. On the other bits I grind a small notch in the 1/4" shaft almost guarantees the bit won't loosen.

Hope this is a solution for you.

betacrash
12-27-2007, 12:48 PM
I selected "no" for the staying under the rollers prompt. Is that what is causing the issue?

hotpop
12-27-2007, 01:35 PM
Check that the Z truck does not have any movement in it except up and down.
If one of the rollers is loose the pressure of the cutting action keeps the pressure against the material being cut. Then when the cut changes direction the pressure on a loose roller also changes direction. I noticed when my lower right roller got loose the tip of the spinning carving bit was actually swinging in a small circle.

Digitalwoodshop
12-27-2007, 01:36 PM
Could be your Cut Motor Magnet has let go and you are running in full blast mode.... The replacement plastic encapsulated magnet fixes that problem.

Could be you dust bag muffler are impacted with dust slowing down the motor causing it to go into full blast mode to compensate for the restriction.

AL

liquidguitars
12-27-2007, 01:59 PM
Also any drilling will ramp up the cut motor 2.

LG

TIMCOSBY
12-27-2007, 08:12 PM
from not staying under the rollers...happens every tim i try it. but 1/32" is not going to change the mtor speed.

pefries
12-28-2007, 06:51 PM
I've noticed the same increase in sound (like kicking into a faster gear) about 10 minutes into the project, from my very first project. But, I have not noticed any defect in the carvings. I haven't noticed any wobble in the bit, no roller compression problems, etc. I clean the machine after every project and inspect the mechanics. I also soaked the drive shaft in lubricant for 24hrs before ever using the machine. I have had a board sensor problem, and a new one is on it's way. And, I've noticed a chip out of the inner sleave of the quick release assembly (chuck). Tech support assured me that it will work with this defect as long as there is no vibration or movement in the bit. They will send a new one out as well. Overall, I'm very happy with the machine. And got some fantastic christmas presents done just in time (2am Christmas Day). Yes, I procrastinate badly.

betacrash
12-28-2007, 07:04 PM
Im thinking now that the issue is actually two seperate issues. 1) the slight change in depth caused by the piece not staying under the rollers and 2) the change in spindle speed possibly caused by an RPM sensor.

Gallaher
12-28-2007, 10:21 PM
Is there an RPM sensor?
I get a motor speed up and then it tells me to check the motor.
After blowing off the motor I press start and the motor runs normal again for the rest of the project.

mtylerfl
12-28-2007, 10:29 PM
Is there an RPM sensor?
I get a motor speed up and then it tells me to check the motor.
After blowing off the motor I press start and the motor runs normal again for the rest of the project.

Hello Gallaher,

That particular problem may be related to a 'clogged' muffler bag. Are you using the bag? (I don't.)

If the muffler bag is not allowing air to flow freely through it, the motor can get a slight build-up of fine dust and/or overheat. Remove the bag altogether, and that issue generally "goes away" for good if the bag was the culprit.