PDA

View Full Version : Selling patterns?

ChrisAlb
12-27-2007, 07:58 AM
Hi folks, I didn't know where to best post this but,

When I bought some patterns from the depot the other day I could of sworn I saw a link about selling my patterns but I can't find it now. :confused:

Does anybody know if it's possible to sell my patterns through the depot? and if so how?

I'm recently disabled and this may be the closet path I have to continue making a living.

I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this but I wasn't sure where else to ask.

Chris

swhitney
12-27-2007, 08:18 AM
As I remember the post... It was a call for "pattern designers" to APPLY to sell through the pattern store.

ChrisAlb
12-27-2007, 08:49 AM
Thank you

You wouldn't happen to remember what post is was? or was it a call that no longer exists?

I have done some searching in the forums but no luck yet.

DON FIELDS
12-27-2007, 09:11 AM
ChrisAlb,
i found the information to sell your patterns in the last "newsletter".
Simply go to info@carvewright.com for instructions on how to proceed.
Good luck
Don

Kenm810
12-27-2007, 09:44 AM
If you don't have the News Letter or didn't see it, Here's the Article, on selling your patterns in the CW pattern store

The CarveWright Pattern Depot launched on December 6th and has been a HUGE success! Thousands of patterns have been sold thus far, and the orders are coming in at a rapid pace. As of right now, there are nearly 800 patterns available and thousands more are in the works. The patterns range from basic carving elements, to extravagant and intricate masterpieces. You can visit the CarveWright website to enter the pattern store, or simply click the icon in your software and be automatically redirected http://carvewright.com/newsletter/images/goThereNow_white.gif (http://x.jngo1.net/y.z?l=http://patterns.carvewright.com/&e=2111&j=74736455&t=h)to the largest source for quality patterns ever

Our vendor upload pages our finally complete! We have had a tremendous response from customers wanting to sell their patterns, and now they can begin uploading! Of course if you are interested in selling patterns on the pattern store, simply contact us aat info@carvewright.com (info@carvewright.com) for details

ChrisAlb
12-27-2007, 09:44 AM
Don,

Thank YOU!!! LOL That's Exactly where I saw it as well. As soon as I saw your post it hit me... Duh...look in your email..:o.lol

I'm pretty excited about the prospect. I have a few designed already. I've been doing pixel by pixel computer graphics for years. It's tedious work but rewarding and for me, a lot of fun. Imagine that, my two loves, computers and wood at the same time. Might just be worth hanging up the Ole job site pouch.

Chris

TIMCOSBY
12-27-2007, 07:30 PM
feelings on the cut that you have to give them (50%) for the ability to sell on their site. been contemplating it too but 50%?????

HighTechOkie
12-27-2007, 08:57 PM
feelings on the cut that you have to give them (50%) for the ability to sell on their site. been contemplating it too but 50%?????

Tim, is 50% confirmed as LHR's cut? If so, that would seem like a real arrogant move on their part.

Rob

Durtdawber
12-27-2007, 09:37 PM
Guys...I've been thinking of allowing folks to sell their patterns via my site. If anyone has an interest, PM me so we can discuss.

TIMCOSBY
12-27-2007, 09:58 PM
and you turn over full rights to them. the only plus is their pattern protection scheme. wonder if vector got a better deal???????

TIMCOSBY
12-28-2007, 12:18 AM
an upload page up very soon that you log into so that anybody can upload and sell easily, as long as you sign the agreement.

Jeff_Birt
12-28-2007, 09:14 AM
All right this has gotten out of hand so I have removed one post and will lock the thread if needed. The terms on the CW Pattern Depot are pretty close to how other arrangements of this nature work.

Jeff_Birt
12-31-2007, 11:00 AM
...and you turn over full rights to them.

Just to clear things up, I asked CW for a copy of the licensing agreement. The statement I quoted above, from earlier in this thread, is flatly wrong. If you are interested in the licensing details please email info@carvewright.com and they will be glad to send you a copy.

bluecobra
12-31-2007, 11:54 AM
weigh the pros & cons.

50% sounds a lot to me too, but where else will you get this kind of visibility for your pattern/work?

There's nothing that says you can't sell here and somewhere else (ie: ebay) as far as I know, somebody correct me if I'm wrong please.

The great thing is that you can get paid multiple times for doing something only once.

TerryT
12-31-2007, 05:05 PM
Most of us that are or have been in retail business know that 50% is about standard. The normal markup in my business is double my cost. If I pay 20 bucks it retails for $39.99 but then I have to pay shipping to get my products to my store, overhead such as heat and power, advertizing etc.

If I had patterns to sell I would gladly pay LHR 50% to sell from their established website with an already high traffic load.

Sounds like a good deal to me.

TIMCOSBY
01-02-2008, 01:57 AM
you are right. they have this in the terms and definitions but no where in the rest of the agreement does the words "intellectual property rights" show up??? i saw this and assumed it was covered somewhere in the text.

INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS means all intellectual or proprietary rights, including but not limited to copyrights, oral rights, patents rights (including patent applications and disclosures), rights of privacy, mask work rights, and trade secret rights, recognized in any country or jurisdiction.

so i think we can liscence the pattern to them and sell it elsewher too?maybe?hmmmm