PDA

View Full Version : CarveWright & PhotoVCarve

jlitz
12-26-2007, 09:37 PM
I've been experimenting with various vector formats on the CarveWright and was recently given a link to a program called PhotoVCarve (http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/pvc/pvc_index.htm). While I haven't produced a decent result on the CarveWright yet, it appears to have potential. Attached are a couple tests. The "deep_carve1" sample show how the effect is produced - straight vector paths with varying depth along the path, carved with a 60 degree v-bit.

woodknack
12-26-2007, 09:44 PM
Thats cool but the software that comes with the CW machine will do that. Why would you want to spend extra money to try something that the machine and software already do? ;)

jlitz
12-26-2007, 09:49 PM
Thats cool but the software that comes with the CW machine will do that. Why would you want to spend extra money to try something that the machine and software already do? ;)

No. The software that comes with the CW can not do that effect.

woodknack
12-26-2007, 09:58 PM
so what kind of effect are you looking for? you want your picture to show through lines?

jlitz
12-26-2007, 10:01 PM
so what kind of effect are you looking for? you want your picture to show through lines?

It's simply a different style of carving. In essence, it's a half-tone image and produces a unique look.

woodknack
12-26-2007, 10:23 PM
this is just a thought. but could'nt you change a drawing over to say a pencil sketch in a drawing program and get close to the same effect? You got me wondering now!:)

jlitz
12-26-2007, 10:38 PM
this is just a thought. but could'nt you change a drawing over to say a pencil sketch in a drawing program and get close to the same effect? You got me wondering now!:)

I tried something similar and carved a couple tests as a raster pattern with the 1/16" carving bit. It lacked the clean lines a v-bit and vector path can produce. Maybe someone else can achieve a better result.

The ultimate goal is to produce a similar effect to the engraving style of old time stamps.

dougmsbbs
12-26-2007, 11:11 PM
I've been playing around this for months now, and recently got jlitz interested. Anyone that wonders why we are bothering should check out the examples on the web site of PhotoVCarve. I think you'll be impressed....
http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/pvc/pvc_index.htm
jlitz, I sent you an email. We need to talk....

TIMCOSBY
12-26-2007, 11:50 PM
what file format does it produce? the photos on wood looked great but at the bottom it said they were on a laminated board that i am assuming has the diff collors in the diff layers.

dougmsbbs
12-27-2007, 12:15 AM
They can be done on laminates, but the normal method is to cut it in wood, stain the grooves, and sand off the surface. The program only outputs DXF and Gcode, but with jlitz on the case, I think a conversion program can be done.

jlitz
12-31-2007, 06:30 PM
A less complex sample

rstudley
11-18-2008, 07:33 AM
Does anybody have experience with the V Carve software or similar? I'm looking to create tool paths but am not finding a ready-to-go solution anywhere.