PDA

View Full Version : Rear roller compressed error

ChipperBob
12-25-2007, 06:52 PM
For the third time I have a rear roller error. In the past I have talked to CarveWright about it and have been able to clear it up by blowing compressed air in and around the keypad side of the top roller limit (pressure) limit switch. My latest attempt did not clear the error.

I removed the keypad side panel and the top cover to have clear access to the rear roller limit switch. I have cleaned the area around the limit switch and the roller end. The roller moves up and down freely and the surrounding area is clean and looks just like the front roller. No matter how I try to maneuver the roller, I still have a rear roller “compressed” error.

As a side note, this machine has been returned three times and I have made many repairs and part replacements in my basement. Even with all the great help form Carvewright,
(the last trip to the factory was a general overhaul) the amount of downtime is frustrating.

Any help out there???

mtylerfl
12-25-2007, 07:05 PM
Hello ChipperBob,

Sorry to hear you're having a rear roller error.

Do you get the error with another board? I know it's a long shot, but maybe the board is cupped??

The only other suggestion is to check all wiring (that you can get to) to make sure a connection hasn't worked itself loose.

Dirtydan
12-25-2007, 07:58 PM
ChipperBob,

What have you been carving?
Have you actually removed the rear Roller? What sometimes happens is the dust gets compressed and over time becomes quite hard and takes up all the slack that would normally be there under normal conditions.

A quick check would be to remove the key pad panel, turn the machine on, go to options, sensor check, and rollers.... I assume at this point the rear roller will still be indicating it's under compression. There are two bolts that hold a plate that keeps the roller in position... Loosen these bolts slowly and watch the keypad display... if the roller indication goes from compression to released, you have some compressed dust inside. In either case, remove the two bolts and clean the roller & switch area.

When you remove the two bolts that hold the roller in-place it will drop down...beware of the spring and block that houses the roller. Chances are there is a bunch of junk between the block and the plate on the bottom... You can also exercise the switch from here... you should be able to hear a clicking sound as you push up and release it.... If no clicking can be heard, and the display still indicates the roller is under compression, the switch is bad.

I am un-aware :confused: of any other condition that would cause your problem other than a wire broken or loose some where...

Jeff_Birt
12-25-2007, 08:11 PM
Can you hear the switch click when you compress the roller? You should be able to compress the roller by hand and hear the switch click. If sawdust is left impacted around the switch it could, perhaps bend the switches' lever. It is also possible for fine sawdust to work into the switch itself. If you can't hear the switch click look at its lever and see if it is deformed.

ChipperBob
12-26-2007, 02:34 PM
Clearing privious errors, yes, I heard a click and the machine worked OK. This time---no audible click. I have not loosened the two retaining screws to look at the switch, I am not sure what will happen when I remove the screws.

Jeff_Birt
12-26-2007, 02:42 PM
This time---no audible click.

I would then suspect a bent switch actuator arm or bad switch. Saw dust left lodged in the switch area could allow the switch arm to become deformed with the up/down movement of the pressure roller.

ChipperBob
12-26-2007, 06:00 PM
That’s just it, I am not carving because it never progresses past the measurement portion of the carving program. When the program measures to insure that the board (which was straight and true) will accommodate the job, the piece is driven PAST the rear roller, then the error indication appears on the LCD. The system believes that the read end of the board is still under the rear roller, but also senses that there is no board under the board edge sensor, thus the error.

I have actually moved the roller up/down and there is a reasonable amount of play. The “bolts” you refer to, I assume are the two Phillips head screws on each end of the roller. I thought they held the limit switch in place. I have tried to loosen them but can’t move them. They should have Allen head cap screws, because they are impossible to loosen. Do you know if the plates are removed if the switch would fall out?

I understand what you are saying about loosening and checking for relief on the switch. If I am able to loosen the screws, is there a spring that might fly out if I remove that holding plate?

By the way, I inevitably deleted your answer about the fonts used in your Clint Adams sign. You seem to know a lot about this machine, have you had problems also?

Ivanq
12-26-2007, 06:26 PM
I had the same problem and tried about everything short of removing the roller. Finally I took 3 short 2x4's stacked on top of each other and placed them under the rear roller. Then brought the head down in contact (including the 'clicks') with them just like I was setting up a carve. This forced the roller all the way up so I could hit the end area of the roller with air. Saw some small stuff fly out and that was the end of my roller problem. Now when I clean the machine I always do this to both rollers and haven't had a problem with them since.

Hope this helps - - -
Cliff in Roswell

ChipperBob
12-26-2007, 06:51 PM
To all of you that responded to my roller problem, thanks. I finally discovered that the limit switch was tilted ever so slightly at an angle, just enough so the switch would not break contact. It now clicks as I move the roller up/down. I am still not comfortable with the movement and before I reassemble the machine I will try the 2X4 application as suggested by Cliff in Roswell to insure the area is as clean as possible.

Bob in South Carolina