PDA

View Full Version : 3D carving

divad
12-21-2007, 12:40 PM
i am seriously thinking on buying the machine but have a question or two. first i want to carve a cockpit for model planes. i am thinking of setting a plastic Acrylic block 2 x 2 x 4 in the machine and carve the cockpit with the frames and glass panels with the rivets and various details. Then flip the piece over and router out the inside. Once carved out i can polish the plastic to get it clear. will the machine do such a thing? i am quite good with Auto CAD so i figure the software should be no problem to learn.

HighTechOkie
12-22-2007, 10:12 AM
Yes, the machine can handle acrylic in the size you specified, but you will need to place it on a sled/carrier board as the smallest piece by itself is 6"L x 1.75"W x 0.5"D.

Regarding the software, I've noticed (myself included) those who are familar with CAD software have more challenges in learning the Designer software. Many of the tools we are accustom to in CAD are not in Designer. I found it best to treat Desginer as a completely new and foreign application and explore its capabilities. As is evident on this forum, you can coeherce the machine to do almost anything you can imagine within the limits of the machine. At the basic level, all shapes are made up of two forms, lines and arcs.

HTO

divad
12-23-2007, 09:48 AM
actually it is not the cockpit i wanted to carve but the clear canopy that covers the cotpit. You can see a canopy at the following link. Will the carvewright cut such a shape from a block of wood or acrylic

http://www.raidentech.com/pwa60arfp40a.html

thanks divad

HighTechOkie
12-23-2007, 12:25 PM
It looks like the canopy may be taller than 1" (max cutting depth of machine). If you can get by with a 1" tall canopy, then yes, I don't see why not. If you plan to make multiples of the same canopy, you might consider making a mold and then heat form the acrylic around the mold. Would be faster and would not need polished.

Rob

mtylerfl
12-24-2007, 08:35 AM
i am seriously thinking on buying the machine but have a question or two. first i want to carve a cockpit for model planes. i am thinking of setting a plastic Acrylic block 2 x 2 x 4 in the machine and carve the cockpit with the frames and glass panels with the rivets and various details. Then flip the piece over and router out the inside. Once carved out i can polish the plastic to get it clear. will the machine do such a thing? i am quite good with Auto CAD so i figure the software should be no problem to learn.

Hello divad,

I don't believe the CarveWright is the "right tool" for what you're wanting to do. It might be interesting to see if you could figure out an accurate way to carve/flip/carve the plastic block, but I think doing a clear canopy with the CarveWright is the "hard way".

I suggest looking into vacuform molding techniques and equipment as an alternative for that particular task.