PDA

View Full Version : Machine vibrations

Lloyd
12-18-2007, 04:14 PM
I have taken my first machine back to Sears and waiting for my replacement. The first machine lasted about one minute of carving. While I am waiting I built a downdraft table for it to set on and was wondering if there is enough vibrations from the machine that it will have to be bolted to the table. Also wondering how exact the thickness of the board has to be ? :confused:

Kenm810
12-18-2007, 04:28 PM
Hey Lloyd,

I have found the machine dose vibrate, but for me not enough to bolt it down yet.
I know some folks do, and says it helps, a few even said it made the machine quieter.
As for the thickness of the wood , I always try to keep it exact,
a few times I've had a fat 1/32 of an inch through my machine off. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_confused.gif

Lloyd
12-18-2007, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the response. My machine is supposed to be in Friday, hope it shows up. Have a lot of ideas to try.

pkunk
12-18-2007, 06:01 PM
The machine measures the thickness of the wood. I use the default 3/4" in Designer, & feed the CW anything within spec unless it's too thick for a cut outline. Just today fed it a piece of maple thar was a tad less then 5/8" for the 3/4" mpc. It doesn't care.:rolleyes:

Bubbabear
12-18-2007, 06:07 PM
i guess i am the lucky one my unit has little or no vibration and it sits on a slick surface and so far doesnt move

mikemel
12-18-2007, 06:36 PM
I took one of 5/8 thick foam floor mats and cut out the shape of my down draft hole. I placed it on the table and the CC on top of it. Helps with vibration and forms a partial seal to help with dust collection.

Lloyd
12-21-2007, 02:11 PM
Picked up my new machine from Sears yestersday, I had finished the downdraft table but did put foam strips around the dust port. Put the CC on it and turned it on after my first attempt I found there was no movement at all. Noise level was still high, I have it setup in the basement now my wife wants sound proofing put in, go figure. It looks like it was worth sending the first machine back this one works great.

Kenm810
12-21-2007, 03:20 PM
Hey Lloyd,

Glad to hear your up and carving again.
If you do happen to run a across a way to quiet
down you're machine for you're wife,
Pease remember to pass it along
to the rest of us wood chippers http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

oldjoe
12-21-2007, 03:53 PM
Ken I was reading a post awhile back and the member said the the techs at LHR would put rags in the muffler or dust collector as some call it and that helps, I did not have any rags handy so I put an old sock around the out side of the muffler and it seemed to help some so now I am going to find a heavy wool sock and try that, looks kind of funny with the sock when the machine is running looks like a foot sticking out of the machine.

Kenm810
12-21-2007, 04:06 PM
Hi oldjoe,

Now that you mention it, I do recall that post about the rags.
But I really like your sock idea much better,
Maybe I could get barb to knit us some custom fit muffler socks
Maybe we even could add them to the LHR CW store. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

Ps Just think of it, we could start of own line of designer wind bags
for all the hot air the Machine, and us chipper blow around here.

Lloyd
12-21-2007, 04:40 PM
Is the air flow thru the dust bag or muffler also used to cool the cut motor, if it is could the additional restriction cause the motor to over heat? There seemed to be a lot of heat comming out of it after a few minutes of running.

Digitalwoodshop
12-21-2007, 08:43 PM
I believe the plumbing is pulling air from the Computer area of the machine..... Cooling the computer area with the front part of the fan and the rear part of the fan is pulling the air from the motor side of the fan. Note the second to last picture of the top input port where the right side is open to suction and the left is closed and gets air from the armature.

If you don't have a down draft I would blow air into the vent openings of the motor near the brushes to flush any dust out.

AL

As a public service anouncement... If you have close to 250 hours on your machine you should have in stock a set of replacement cut motor brushes. The first time the motor stalled because the brushes were too short to make proper contact with the armature the machine broke a bit. A bit cost MORE than a replacement set of brushes.... So I broke a bit and STILL had to buy brushes.... Do your machine a favor.... Buy it some brushes.... About $5.00..... Motor replacement when the spring on the brushes eats into the commutator.... $77.00 plus Core fee.... Pay me now or pay me later.....

This is pictures of when I tried to fix my Magnet with heat shrink. Didn't last. The new molded magnet fixed this problem as seen in the last picture. From a few months ago.

See the sawdust in the case between the stator and the case. Could be a fire hazard if you don't keep it clean.