PDA

View Full Version : Xmas Gift for Dad

badger
12-18-2007, 03:03 PM
Keeping with the Centennial were celebrating here in Oklahoma finished gift for my father with a flag that was flown over original site of Capital in Oklahoma in 1907 with replica peacemaker and one of my Centennial Badges worn during this year in the Sheriffs Office.

Shape is State of Oklahoma even though its hard to see and the card was a certification card for the flag recessed into the wood.

Still having problems with my miter cuts matching up...God I hate it when it comes to miter cuts, hope I get them figured out soon.

oldjoe
12-18-2007, 04:00 PM
Your dad will like that one for sure. Good wood and finish choice for that piece also. And I had to look twice but I did see the outline of Okalahoma.
Mitres are easy just do it backwards from what you think it should be :rolleyes:

Kenm810
12-18-2007, 04:13 PM
badger,

Great Gift idea, I'm sure your Dad will Love it.

Plus oldjoe has it right, miter joints do get easier with practice
like he said, do it backwards from what you think it should be,
then you can Graduate to Mitering Crown molding,
all you have to do is learn to think, both upside down and backwards. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif

Dirtydan
12-18-2007, 04:54 PM
Badger,

You did a Great job on that project. Looks real good.

Don't get me wrong, but I was glad to see that you have trouble with miter cuts. ME2.... I don't care how dead-on the wood and tools are, they just don't match up... I feel you pain on that one and it's always just one corner....and after sanding or attempting to correct the problem I end up with several corners that don't match up... Guess we all need fire wood....

Keeping with the Centennial were celebrating here in Oklahoma finished gift for my father with a flag that was flown over original site of Capital in Oklahoma in 1907 with replica peacemaker and one of my Centennial Badges worn during this year in the Sheriffs Office.

Shape is State of Oklahoma even though its hard to see and the card was a certification card for the flag recessed into the wood.

Still having problems with my miter cuts matching up...God I hate it when it comes to miter cuts, hope I get them figured out soon.

badger
12-18-2007, 06:31 PM
Ive been told by 1 friend that builds cabinets for a living that dealers have stated most miter machines typically cut the degrees off by 1 or 2 every time and no machine is exact.

What is used by most people here to cut their miters. Me I have an old Dewalt model 34-080 miter saw.

Dirtydan
12-18-2007, 06:40 PM
Of late I've been using my table saw... But now that I think about it a little more, I do have a power miter saw somewhere.... Guess I'll go looking tomorrow. Thanks for twiking my memory....:p

Ive been told by 1 friend that builds cabinets for a living that dealers have stated most miter machines typically cut the degrees off by 1 or 2 every time and no machine is exact.

What is used by most people here to cut their miters. Me I have an old Dewalt model 34-080 miter saw.

forqnc
12-19-2007, 09:56 AM
I use a Dewalt DW718 miter saw.
I have some luck by cutting at 44.5 deg, but I agree, you spend all that time carving, cleaning and the "Simple" miter cuts goes and throws the whole project off.
It still looks great.

Oliver Lande
12-19-2007, 10:14 AM
Hey Badger - That is a great project, loved it. My Dad was a county sherriff in South Dakota before he passed, now I think I know what to do with his badges and his flag. Great idea.

As for the miters - I was taught thus ..... "Cut long, Go around the frame one corner at a time, the last peice is where you do your adjusting. Measure both toe to toe and heel to heel."

After years of cabinets and thousands of "bad" cuts (remember there is no such thing as scrap), I finally got it down.