PDA

View Full Version : Can't lower head - not stuck at top problem

joncanfield
12-16-2007, 10:32 PM
I finally had a chance to setup the CW today after getting a replacement memory card. I can't crank the head down though - it will raise fine, but when I try to lower it just clicks like it was already all the way down. I tried the head screw adjustment noted in the manual but that doesn't do anything for this problem. I searched the forum but didn't see anything that sounded like this.
Any ideas, or am I looking at sending it back in before I get to make the first cut?

Thanks in advance,
Jon

Jeff_Birt
12-16-2007, 10:44 PM
Try doing a quick search for 'head won't lower' or something along those lines. Here are few ideas off the top of my head.

Is the head level front to rear?
Have you tried loosening the four screws holding the corner posts and retightening?
Is the handle tight/installed correctly?
Is the red level partially out?

Bubbabear
12-17-2007, 05:43 AM
IS it below 50 where the tool is if so get some heat on it. mine has done this a couple of times turn the heat on and let it warm up

joncanfield
12-17-2007, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I ended up needing to call CW and after much experimenting on the phone, they had me take the shims off the riser posts and put them on the crank to compress the spring more. This seems to have done the trick.

Of course, that just takes me to the next problem which is getting it to recognize the bit I have installed - it's asking for a Classical 3/8 which I install but after some movement it goes back to the center position and asks for the bit again.

Jon

Jeff_Birt
12-17-2007, 02:40 PM
Search for 'bit plate', it's the little black flapper that comes out for hte bit to touch down on at the rear of the machine.