PDA

View Full Version : Buying a PC...

jdwykrent
12-16-2007, 05:33 PM
Ok...here's the story. I am going to be buying a new laptop and need to know what to look for... The last time I bought a computer was in 2000 when I bought my current laptop. It has recently died and forced me to pull out my desktop that is from 1997 (windows 98 first edition, a huge 5 gig hard drive with ram that was upgraded to 128mb, and a processor speed of somewhere around 500mhz:) ).

I am going to be shopping for a new laptop...from what I have seen things have changed since the last time I bought a computer.

So what I am asking...Is there anything to stay away from? My budget is $500 - $700. I would like a laptop...but haven't ruled out a desktop.

Any suggestions?

pkunk
12-16-2007, 06:09 PM
I bought a Toshiba Satelite. Right price, 1gig memory, Vista, etc. Not fast like my Mac, but it does OK, & runs Designer. Could use more ram, & the battery doesn't last long, but ram is upgradeable and I'm never far from power or an inverter.

Bubbabear
12-16-2007, 07:25 PM
vista never go less than 1gig of ram i prefer 2gigs other than that get what you think you will need. i like bigger hard drives too

kyeakel
12-17-2007, 06:50 AM
I have 2 Dell Inspirons. One has been in service for 4 years, the other 1 year. No problems with either one. They are getting daily use. I see that Walmart now carries Dell. If you order from Dell you can get either XP or Vista. Maybe some of the other companies do that as well. I don't work for Dell, or have any of their stock. I'm just happy with their products....

Kipp

Gunner
12-17-2007, 07:16 AM
I have a Compac Presario PC and a HP Pavilion dv9000 both very user friendly. and the more memory the better.no problems with Vista on my HP.

Bubbabear
12-17-2007, 07:50 AM
I did DELL warranty work for 5 years. They have no better no worse machine than anyone else. When i purchased my compaq i bought what had the most of what i wanted in it for the price i was willing to pay. Best thing about DELL ost of them you can buy and extended onsite next business day warranty. My problem with that and most service contracts is i hate the outsourced support system in India. But anymore that is with dang near anything you buy so.

Dale in Anaheim
12-17-2007, 01:58 PM
My only comment is that, if that is your budget then, you should give some serious consideration to a desktop machine or perhaps even a refurbished laptop bought straight from the manufacture (online) so that it comes with a warranty. You might find a few new laptop machines in that price range but you would get allot more bang for your buck out of a new desktop at that same price point than you will a new laptop. If you really must consider a laptop, then you might consider looking at the refurbished models that are often offered on the manufactures web sites. Many times they come with a warranty and you can usually add extended warranties and on site service to them (if you like) just like with a new machine.

Good luck!

Dale