PDA

View Full Version : Christmas in Texas

kwin
12-16-2007, 07:18 AM
This is just to let everyone know to check the board measuring out. Mine has been carving fine as I always just centered on board but then I wanted to place a carving at 8in off the end it came up wrong, so I turned on manual jog, won't jog over 2 In's. Loaded a board 35 and .7/8 or 35.875. The carver said board was 36.43
I did all the sensor tests and put a new rubber o-ring on. ( been carving with out one) Still the same as before. Called and went thru all the test again with tech. Measures good on Y but X came up different every time I loaded the same board. Waiting on UPS!

PS: the o-ring is a 5 mm size (got mine at Lowe's 10 for $ 1.50)

newcarver
12-16-2007, 07:26 AM
Waiting on ups for what, what was the problem then a motor?

kwin
12-16-2007, 10:50 AM
Waiting on ups for what,

For the pick-up and return of the machine to Texas

what was the problem then a motor?

They never said! Just pack it up and They would have UPS pick it up!

liquidguitars
12-16-2007, 01:25 PM
I did all the sensor tests and put a new rubber o-ring on. ( been carving with out one) Still the same as before. Called and went thru all the test again with tech. Measures good on Y but X came up different every time I loaded the same board.

Check your sandpaper belts could be slipping and add more down pressure..

I would also try to calibrate the CW..
you will need the 3/8 bit from CW for starters then run the calibrate program, this fixed a issue i had with 2 cws not reading the same. it worked for me..

LG

kwin
12-16-2007, 02:55 PM
Check your sandpaper belts could be slipping and add more down pressure..

LG

Sandpaper is new and head pressure is 86 lbs

liquidguitars
12-16-2007, 03:08 PM
Hmm, try calibrate next..

LG

kwin
01-03-2008, 06:30 PM
Back from Texas! I don't know if anything was done to it. I tied four boards as follows
#1 with a tape 35.875
Machine 36.49
difference .61
#2 tape 35.625
machine 36.36
difference .73
#3 tape 47.875
machine 48.65
difference .65
#4 tape 27.625
machine 28.03
difference .40
Things that have been done
Head pressure checked 88 lbs with five clicks
new sandpaper belts
new o- ring
I guess I'll get a 3/8 bit and calibrate the machine as I'm not ready to send it back yet! Thanks LG

Router-Jim
01-03-2008, 07:35 PM
I'm curious, why do you need the 3/8" bit from CW to calibrate? :confused:

kwin
01-03-2008, 10:13 PM
Per owners manual:
Calibrating Machine Offsets: The "Calibrate Offsets" function is a
simple procedure to allow the user to fine-tune the CarveWright
machine for improved accuracy.A board at least 2" wide by 10" long between 1/2" and 3/4" thick.
- The CarveWright branded 3/8" Jointing Bit.

Dan-Woodman
01-04-2008, 08:00 PM
Any 3/8" bit will work. It does sound like it needs calibrated since you have a new o-ring.

kwin
02-02-2008, 08:11 AM
to keep everyone updated
I went to Sears and got a 3/8 bit and did calibration test.
No change
Machine sent back to Texas before Christmas and returned second week of Jan. Machine came back with up dated z-pack and all. Also have new crank cover on both sides now. OK that will let in more air! Same problem in measuring board NOT FIXED! Called teck services and they had me dump all software in the machine and reload. No change. still over measures board.
PS Calibation test did give me a better carving!

Digitalwoodshop
02-02-2008, 09:05 AM
This is just to let everyone know to check the board measuring out. Mine has been carving fine as I always just centered on board but then I wanted to place a carving at 8in off the end it came up wrong, so I turned on manual jog, won't jog over 2 In's. Loaded a board 35 and .7/8 or 35.875. The carver said board was 36.43
I did all the sensor tests and put a new rubber o-ring on. ( been carving with out one) Still the same as before. Called and went thru all the test again with tech. Measures good on Y but X came up different every time I loaded the same board. Waiting on UPS!

PS: the o-ring is a 5 mm size (got mine at Lowe's 10 for $ 1.50)

Reading this post I had a thought..... In my Navy days of being a Technician going to ships to fix the radars and computers I would always ask what maintenance was done before the radar stopped working. I would hear things like "I adjusted all the Power Supplies", or "Cleaned the Air Filters". More times I would find the problem where the Sailor had not plugged in a wire after checking the power supply of left a switch off changing filters.

We had a saying. "Go where Sailors have been" Lets take this O Ring and apply the "Go where Sailors have been" theory...... The O Ring is like a tire on your car, lets say your car has 15 inch tires and at 55 MPH your speedometer measures 55 MPH. Lets say a Sailor replaces the tires with some nice new 16 inch tires. Tires are Tires he said...... Now when your tires are going 55 MPH the speedometer is showing something different because the speedometer is calibrated to a 15 inch tire.....

Lets say the O Rings installed in China are the Low bidder thin wall version in metric and the system is calibrated with that size O Ring. Now the Sailor goes to the Big Box Store and picks out some nice new 5mm Thick shoulder O rings and applies them to his Brass Roller. Now the 15 inch tire is replaced with a 16 inch tire per say and the measurement will now be different.

Recommend ordering a O Ring from LHR and replacing it.... This bigger or thicker O Ring Could be the source of the OVAL HOLES I see written about. To cut a Circle you need to apply equal motion in all directions. Add a 16 inch tire to one axis and the balance is off..... The Brass Roller uses the Rubber O Ring and it's Encoder to make this happen.

I would love to see a clear close up picture of your Brass Roller showing the O Ring. If I saw a big FAT O ring I would expect that is your problem. A measurement of your O ring thickness installed on the brass roller compared to someone else's brass roller would tell me if I am on the right track.

Good Luck,

AL

swhitney
02-02-2008, 10:40 AM
Is it possible the "callibration test" does not correct for the O-ring size?? Would love to hear from a tech on this one (Oh Bard, where fore art thou)

kwin
02-02-2008, 02:41 PM
OK Al got a good point sooooo
measure with tape 48.25
I took the o-ring off as I don't ever remember having one on when I got the machine.
o-ring off 48.87
o-ring in first grove from end 48.87
o-ring in second grove past the teeth 48.86
The pictures are not too good but I couldn't get better

Digitalwoodshop
02-02-2008, 07:35 PM
OK....... "Nevermind"........... My Bad....... Talking out my 6........ Nice Try........... Not even CLOSE............ etc.........

:( AL

Try this.... In sensor test mode slowly rotate the brass roller watching it step 0000 0001 0002 0003 Etc.... Forward and backward. Look for skips like it's missing a bit.... Just another idea.....

kwin
02-02-2008, 09:13 PM
Got hold of Houston today and went Thur all most everything again. They said that the board sensor must be out and there sending a new one. I guess this is a wheel with a light shining Thur a wheel with slots in it. any way another week to receive that.
Other than that it really carves well sense coming back from Texas