PDA

View Full Version : How do you split a project into sections if it is wider than 14"?

jdwykrent
12-15-2007, 09:53 AM
I want to carve a table top that is 24" x 48". I am going to have to carve the project on 2 boards and then glue after carving

Do I split the pattern in the software or do I have to split the pattern in something like photoshop?

Or is there some other way to do it?

Help!

mtylerfl
12-15-2007, 12:37 PM
I want to carve a table top that is 24" x 48". I am going to have to carve the project on 2 boards and then glue after carving

Do I split the pattern in the software or do I have to split the pattern in something like photoshop?

Or is there some other way to do it?

Help!

Hello jdwykrent,

It depends upon the pattern and layout as to what method is most appropriate.

Please post a picture of the design layout if you can, so that we can better advise you.

Basically, if the pattern itself doesn't need to be split along the joining seam, then just carve the two boards and glue 'em up afterwards.

If the pattern IS split along the seam, then you could either split it in a graphics program and create two seperate pattern halves, OR you could use the same pattern for both boards and just position the pattern appropriately off the edge of each board so that after the carve they will match up.

TIMCOSBY
12-15-2007, 11:14 PM
let us know how it goes. i may want to do that latter on.

Gallaher
12-15-2007, 11:47 PM
I think the christmas wreath posted here was done in sections. You may want to see how it was done.