PDA

View Full Version : Bit jammed and broke

potentialbuyer
12-14-2007, 10:55 PM
Cutting some letters on a 5x15 piece of pine. Just had started, made about 4 passes and wham it jams the bit about 3/16 into the board and busts it off.
The project was only 1/8 deep cuts.
Is this common? Whats the problem?

mtylerfl
12-14-2007, 11:50 PM
Cutting some letters on a 5x15 piece of pine. Just had started, made about 4 passes and wham it jams the bit about 3/16 into the board and busts it off.
The project was only 1/8 deep cuts.
Is this common? Whats the problem?

Hello,

Sorry to hear about your bit.

Couple questions...

1) Was the bit firmly in the chuck? If it was not fully seated, perhaps that is what caused the mishap.

2) Was your board at least 7" LONGER than the "virtual board" you had in the software when you laid out the design? Your "real" board must be kept under both rollers at all times - to do that, the board must be 7" longer than your "design" board. (This is one of the most common reasons for broken bits, poor carving quality, and all types of miscellaneous errors and problems...all caused from not adding the 7" to the overall length of the actual board being carved.)

Hope this helps in troubleshooting the cause of the problem. Please let us know if either of the above might have been a factor or not.

potentialbuyer
12-15-2007, 09:41 AM
Yes the bit was firmly in the chuck and the board was more than 7" longer. It was in the middle of the board when it did this so it wasnt a case of being too close to the end.
I also had a Z stall error before this, maybe that had something to do with it.

mtylerfl
12-15-2007, 09:58 AM
Yes the bit was firmly in the chuck and the board was more than 7" longer. It was in the middle of the board when it did this so it wasnt a case of being too close to the end.
I also had a Z stall error before this, maybe that had something to do with it.

Some more questions...

1) When you setup the project, did you specify "Center On Length" so that both ends of the board were under the rollers as the project started? (sounds as if you did, but just making sure).

2) Was the board in "good shape"...i.e., no cup/warp, edges nice and crisp, no sticky sap?

3) Was the sliding guide plate up against the board, but not TOO tight? (board needs to move freely between the guide plates to avoid binding).