PDA

View Full Version : Coloring text on signs

RRettig
12-14-2007, 11:05 AM
Looking for a way to color lettering on a sign.
I envision being able to stain or paint the board before carving. After curing
apply some type of film (need to know what type or kind) over the board before carving. Complete the carving then spray the letters and remove the
film. Does this make any sense or is there a better way.

Any help will be appreciated.

Durtdawber
12-14-2007, 11:24 AM
If the text is recessed...

- Carve the project
- Coat with sanding sealer
- Paint the letters
- Sand off the excess outside of the lettering.

Should end up with only the lettering being painted.

BobHill
12-14-2007, 11:26 AM
One way is to use the Centerline Text cut, paint the lettering without a heavy regard to the outside area that's flat, then just sand that outside area, leaving the Centerline Text with whatever color you painted it,

Bob

Kenm810
12-14-2007, 11:35 AM
How about carving the text, sanding off any fuzzies or imperfections.
Then stain the project text and all, add a couple layers of seal coat on the whole board,
it will help provent the paint from bleeding.
Next paint the text with latex or othe water base paint, then
use a damp cloth or towling to clean up any drips or oppses
and finish with a good top coat for the entire project. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

RRettig
12-14-2007, 12:02 PM
If the text is recessed...

- Carve the project
- Coat with sanding sealer
- Paint the letters
- Sand off the excess outside of the lettering.

Should end up with only the lettering being painted.

Thanks so much for your reply.
I should have been a bit more specific.
I'm using MDF and lettering will be recessed. I want the board to be black
and the lettering white. Final sanding will remove the black background.
That's why I envisioned using a one sided sticky film over the black before
carving.

Router-Jim
12-14-2007, 12:39 PM
Thanks so much for your reply.
I should have been a bit more specific.
I'm using MDF and lettering will be recessed. I want the board to be black
and the lettering white. Final sanding will remove the black background.
That's why I envisioned using a one sided sticky film over the black before
carving.

I have considered doing exactly what you are talking about. I think it will work as long as you get good adhesion that is still removable after painting and does not leave a residue or remove your surface paint. I've been thinking of using vinyl paper and self adhesive spray. I just haven't had a chance to try it yet.

HighTechOkie
12-14-2007, 12:44 PM
Paint the board black. (place masking tape on ends if not using a sled so the board sensor see's the board)
Carve text
Paint text and wipe of excess on top of board.
Clear coat to finish.

HTO

Gunner
12-15-2007, 06:28 AM
Try your local automotive paint store. They should have a product called something like " liquid masking ". Spray or brush on . cut or carve design , then peal off masking.

yatrgatr
12-16-2007, 10:34 AM
I have tried a couple of different ways and without buying anything special.
I used mdf to carve a lot of projects. check out my post in this thread,
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=4921&page=2

carve the project, paint the letters, carefully paint around the letters and use a small roller to dry roller the rest.

Dan-Woodman
12-16-2007, 05:36 PM
You could try contact paper,before you carve, but I don't think it peels off very easy.
Or how about masking tape , as in 2" blue painter tape.

later Daniel

jblues71
12-16-2007, 10:56 PM
I would try the paper version of "Transfer tape" or "Transfer paper". You shouldn't have any problems with it. It is mostly used to transfer vinyl Lettering and decals from its backing to its new home. It is tacky enough to pull the vinyl from it's backing but, it is not tackier than the vinyl adhesive. Just a thought anyways.

Dirtydan
12-19-2007, 12:24 PM
If the text/lettering is going to be black and you want the grain of the wood to really show well, here's the trick.
Use Ebony stain on the entire board after you have carved it. Wipe off the flat surfaces and re-apply to the area's you want to be black. Again, keep the flat surfaces wipped off.. but not completly void of the stain.. After everything has dried, sand the board to remove the stain down to a level where only the grain is stained as well as the lettering. Blow out and tac... If the letter's are not dark enough, apply the stain to the letters only, let dry, and sand the flat surface again... When you have the color tones you want, clear coat, clear coat, sand, tac, clear coat., sand, tac, clear coat until you get a nice surface finish and the letters just pop out at you......

Hope this helps... Good luck...

Looking for a way to color lettering on a sign.
I envision being able to stain or paint the board before carving. After curing
apply some type of film (need to know what type or kind) over the board before carving. Complete the carving then spray the letters and remove the
film. Does this make any sense or is there a better way.

Any help will be appreciated.