PDA

View Full Version : Paw Paw Student Projects

jdwykrent
12-13-2007, 02:55 PM
Hey guys...

My students did a fundraiser to purchase a Compucarve. So far they are excited to use it. I would like it if they could use this thread to share their projects and ask questions.

Any tips / tricks would be awsome!
As we learn we will share.

Jeff Wykrent
Paw Paw High School
Woodworking Instructor
jdwykrent@ppps.org

mtylerfl
12-13-2007, 03:20 PM
Hello Paw Paw High School,

There are several excellent online CarveWright software Training Videos you and your students might enjoy. They are located at..
http://www.carvewright.com/tutorials.html

...in addition, you should be receiving the monthly Tips and Tricks Newsletters if you have signed up for the mailing list at the CarveWright homepage. If you need to download any newsletters you may have missed, they are availble here: http://www.carvewright.com/tips.html

BobHill
12-13-2007, 04:13 PM
AND, of course, this forum is open to any CarveWright/CompuCarve user or wannabe user.

Bob

Dale in Anaheim
12-13-2007, 05:04 PM
The designer application is actually fairly intuitive. To their credit LHR has done an outstanding job with the GUI. I would think that just about anyone could pick up the basics realtively quickly just by playing with it.

Rather than focusing on alot of learning time with videos or reading, my advice would be to start simple and give everyone a chance to get a feel for the software and the machine yet still facilitate the completion of a project or two so that they will have something to show for their effort.

It seems to me that a project or two that the students could complete in one or two class periods might fit the bill to start with. If you're looking for an idea for a quick and simple starter project that they can run with very little prep time (or wood usage) then I highly recommend that your students make name plates for themselves. It’s a simple thing to lay out ones name in designer using whatever font their heart desires. I chose not to do anything fancy and just had the machine carve the letters. You could of course spice it up with an edge treatment, or whatever, if you like. Heck, maybe even use the school logo or mascot!

I made a few for the folks around the office. I laid several out on the same board which helped cut down on waste even without the use of a sled. I used the CC to engrave the letters and then did the cutout on the band saw. The engraving took about 2 to 5 minutes each and they cut out in like two minutes on the band saw. They took longer to sand and finish than to cut. You could, alternatively, have the machine do all of it of you don't like the idea of the students using the band saw.

Dale

SevenCubed
12-14-2007, 08:31 PM
I'm more than happy to provide what little expertise I posess... I can imagine being a student and having access to a tool like this. Exciting stuff!

Lin
12-15-2007, 03:55 PM
Jeff, I sent you at PM. If you are in Michigan I believe you are very close to me.
Lin

Gman_Ind
12-17-2007, 03:17 PM
Someone donated one of these to my old high school shop class, I hope the shop teacher gets signed up and posts the results here OK Brian get posting.
: )
Paw Paw is SW of Kalamazoo, thats not too far from my place, looks like 1.5 hour drive one way.