PDA

View Full Version : Where to start

Danny Peterson
12-11-2007, 08:26 AM
I get my CW today and am wondering the best place to start. I have read the manual and the help section on the trial ver. It feels like Christmas. Also thank you to all that posted to help me make my decision to by the CW.:p

www.mountainpeak.ca

BobHill
12-11-2007, 08:36 AM
Danny,

After checking your machine and bits over (being sure bit screws are tight and bit is not loose or wabbling), then I'd choose one of the simple free samples (like the fancy box) and use clear pine or other soft wood of the right size wood (remembering that you need 7" extra length for the project to stay under the rollers, even if you don't say you wish for it to stay under rollers (your choice, on that and depends upon how you design the wood in Designer). You can cut all the box parts or just the fancy top which should give you a pretty good idea of what's going on. The box top will require two bits ... the carving bit first and then the cutting bit.

Bob

Gunner
12-11-2007, 08:36 AM
Re-read the manual, read maintenance again. Choose a simple project, pattern . Get used to the machine. Make lots of designer firewood. Have fun and come back to the forum with any questions. These guys in here are great.

DocWheeler
12-11-2007, 08:38 AM
Danny,

Very good question, one we all faced.
I am no expert but I found that I learned from a lot of mistakes.
So, to save yourself some money, start simple and make some mistakes.

To avoid harming the machine, get the feel of the proper roller pressure by using a bathroom scale - too much pressure and belts/gears break, too little and the belts rollup on the keypad side.
Lube the flex-shaft properly, use dry lube on other parts, and avoid binding.

That is a very short list, but one to get use to doing.

Enjoy and welcome

TurkeyBranch
12-11-2007, 08:52 AM
Danny,

I just wanted to say what great work you do in the chainsaw carvings. Beautiful!

Ed

Danny Peterson
12-11-2007, 10:04 AM
where do I find the free samples like making the box.

www.mountainpeak.ca

Gunner
12-11-2007, 10:46 AM
Danny,
Go back to home page , look under projects