PDA

View Full Version : Dove tail pattern?

Gallaher
12-11-2007, 01:14 AM
Can this cut dove tails to make boxes? or does someone have the pattern for dove tails.

pkunk
12-11-2007, 09:08 AM
Can this cut dove tails to make boxes? or does someone have the pattern for dove tails.
not possible.
;)

Dale in Anaheim
12-11-2007, 10:29 AM
HEY LHR!

LOOK HERE LOOK HERE!!!

How about adding a dove tail bit to the bit set?

:)

BobHill
12-11-2007, 10:58 AM
Dale,

I suspect the real reason a Dove Tail won't work is the negative cutting that you'd have to do. The CW won't do negative carving and unless you have the right router bit and exactsize and placement, it would be easier to do it as you do now manually.

Bob

phoenix02
12-12-2007, 03:20 PM
Hey, this just got me thinking...

I don't have the thing anymore, so someone would have to check this out themselves. Here goes-

Tail board-
Use a editor to make an image of a tailboard profile. To make the angle, add a gradient to each side of each tail, white to black, out to the distance difference of the grade, top to bottom. So, iow, if your tails slim side is 1/2" and the thick side is 5/8", add a gradient to the sides to bring the 1/2 out to 5/8. Import and floor the carve so that it's a carve through.

Pin board-
Make an edge profile of the pin angles. rough cut with the carving bit, come back and make a final cut to square with the 1/8" bit. Cut slightly undersized, and come back with a coping saw, bandsaw or scrollsaw and square the bottom of the cut- it'll be rounded, as it was cut with the 1/8" radius bit.

A LOT of work, and may not turn out, but it's worth a try. If you have time to kill and no router to use, see if you can make it work!

-Michael