PDA

View Full Version : CW screen goes blank

Gallaher
12-10-2007, 11:32 PM
I've done three carvings now. One two of them lasting about an hour or two the machine stopped about 25% through and asked to check the motor.

I blew out the machine and felt the temp then continued. After about ten minutes or so the CW screen goes blank and I don't see the % of completion anymore. Is this normal? :confused:

I like to see how much time is left and the percent of completion gave me atleast some idea of how much time was left.

oldjoe
12-11-2007, 06:46 AM
No it is not normal. Does the machine keep carving even though the screen is blank? Can you adjust the contrast of the screen? Check for loose wires to the screen itself might be just a loose connection. Just some ideas on things to look for.

Skyhawk
12-11-2007, 07:26 AM
Screen blanking can be caused by a number of things...If you shut off the machine and turn it back on does the display return?

If so you may have caused it by blowing out the machine...Static buildup could easily cause this...

Gallaher
12-11-2007, 08:12 PM
It keeps going until it copmpletes the project, but the screen goes blank. :confused:
i did not think this was normal. It has happened with two of the three projects I've done.

Jeff_Birt
12-11-2007, 08:59 PM
Are you using a shop vac to clean the machine while you have the machine stopped the check the carving? Some shop vacs can generate a lot of static electricity, there have been some reports about this causing the screen to blank out.

Gallaher
12-12-2007, 02:05 AM
Yes I've used the shop vac to clean out the CW. When it told me to check the motor I would clean out the carving with the shop vac.
This may be the problem.

Jeff_Birt
12-12-2007, 08:02 AM
Do a search for something like 'shop vac' and you will find a lot of information on the subject. Older shop vac tend to produce more static than newer ones. Also if you keep one hand on the machine frame while vacuuming it out you can prevent the static charge from building up (you are keeping the vac hose/ your body at same potential as machine.)