PDA

View Full Version : Any reason I shouldnt try and cut this out?

bizbiki
12-10-2007, 12:46 PM
I am in the process of making several cutting boards for christmas presents. A local discount hardware surplus store is selling 12 foot long butcher block counter tops (approx 1")). I have cut initals and a 1/2" oval figure around the perimeter of the board, as a place for juices etc. to drain to. I am also cuting a 1/8 oval figure 1" larger around the oval figure in order to use it as a guide to cut the cutting board out of the square workpiece on my bandsaw.

My question is this can I cut the entire project out using the cc? The wood is either rubberwood or maple and the cc really seems to be working very hard just routing out the 1/2" oval with the bullnose bit (chattering etc) would cutting all the way though this material put too much of a strain on the CC? I dont want to break anything.

Thanks

Louie

pkunk
12-10-2007, 12:50 PM
I'd use the bandsaw. Trace the outside with the CW if you wish, but those countertops are probably hard maple and that deep a through cut will be stressing the CW.

bizbiki
12-10-2007, 12:56 PM
Thats what I thought. When routing the oval figure using the 1/2 bull nose is it hurting anything to have the cc chattering and seemingly work so hard?

Louie

pkunk
12-10-2007, 01:09 PM
It is hard on it, but I've had that on several projects & I didn't break anything. I was sweating it though......

bizbiki
12-10-2007, 01:21 PM
Thanks Pkunk,

I ll go ahead with it and just set the height of the bullnose to .175 instead of .25 this should be easier on the machine.

This forum is a great asset of the cc community and has been very helpful. When I carved my first project I felt incredibly intimdated by the entire process, and while still not exactly sure of myself, I feel as if I am not at the whim of an inanimate (techical) object. Well not totally anyway.

Louie

Gunner
12-11-2007, 07:39 AM
Instead of 1/2" bullnose you might want to use the 1/2" roundover bit for outside carve. I've found it seems to carve with less stress. I"d have to agree with Pkunk that hard rock maple is a tough carve. Makes me sweat too!