PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used Minwax Polyshades...

Durtdawber
12-09-2007, 09:52 PM
Has anyone used the Minwax Polyshades stain? It has both stain and poly combined into one product. Was wondering how it comes out.

jwhllh55
12-09-2007, 10:59 PM
Yes, I have used it and it does a fair job on indoor stuff you will make, but don't use it for any outdoor things. I used it on a small sign and with in a few weeks it was flacking off. I went back to stain and an outdoor poly. It really works better.:-P

FINGERS
12-10-2007, 12:27 AM
It takes too long between coats for dry sanding and reapplying, me I like playing with different colors of stains on my work and then seal it with poly

oldjoe
12-10-2007, 06:51 AM
I use it for most of my indoor projects. I like it better then stain but it does take a longer time to dry. But I like the way it doesn't soak into the open grains in the carvings, kind of cuts down the blotchies. Then after one coat I usually do a couple coats of clear. Never tried using the outdoor Helmsman on a project after the polycoat to see if that would hold up better outside.

jwhllh55
12-12-2007, 01:23 AM
I use it for most of my indoor projects. I like it better then stain but it does take a longer time to dry. But I like the way it doesn't soak into the open grains in the carvings, kind of cuts down the blotchies. Then after one coat I usually do a couple coats of clear. Never tried using the outdoor Helmsman on a project after the polycoat to see if that would hold up better outside.

I build outdoor furniture and I use Helmsman on all of my stuff. I would like to post a few pictures of a Apple Collection in my back yard, but it's in two foot of snow right now. If there was ever a test of a product, this will be one real test for sure. I'll post what I can tomorrow so you can see how it holds up.

Gman_Ind
12-17-2007, 04:03 PM
I made a cabinet for customers, they had their painter apply so much dark polyshades it was almost impossible to tell what wood was used. It is great for hiding poplar or pine but I prefer a separate stain then top coating with the water based polyurethane.