PDA

View Full Version : parts falling out od machine

dougsnash
12-08-2007, 07:35 PM
I have about 14 hrs on my Compucarve now. I'm just staring to get to the point of creating decent carvings. There is definately a learning curve to this machine and the software. For the most part I am satisfied with my results and any issues have been me trying new things with the software.

This morning, while cleaning up around the machine, I found a LED/photodiode assembly sitting on the table at the front side of the unit. I have since made two or three fairly large carvings and the machine appears to be functioning correctly. I checked the sensors in the menu and don't see anything jumping out at me as being a fault.

Has anyone else encoutered an issue like this before? Is this just a loose extra piece that has worked its way out of the machine or has a position encoder broken on me?

Any suggestions?

Doug MacDonald
Compucarve Newbie
NW Ontario, Canada

Mikewiz
12-08-2007, 07:45 PM
hi,

Can you post a pic of the part. Seeing a pic will help alot to determine what the part is.

Digitalwoodshop
12-08-2007, 08:04 PM
Doug,

Not to fear, it's just the old Z Homing sensor no longer used because it vibrated loose on everybody.

AL

dougsnash
12-08-2007, 08:15 PM
I have attached a pic of the loose part. It is not very good but it is a small part. It appears to have an LED in one leg and a photo diode in the other. Reminds me of what the position encoder looks like from an older ball style computer mouse. I would think that this sort of sensor would be used to track the roller postions an a machine like this.

One edge looks like is is broken and the component legs are gone on one of the parts but there on the other.

Hope I am making sense.

Doug MacDonald
NW Ontario, Canada

dougsnash
12-08-2007, 08:21 PM
The attached pic is the carving I was making when the mysterious part appeared. This is approx 6"X8" and will be a cold air return difuser in my den. Yes, the machine did vibrate quite a bit while cutting this so that might explain why the sensor fell out.

crawls
12-09-2007, 10:48 PM
Al is right. It's part of of the home sensor that was obsoleted. Can you guess why? One thing to look for, if you push the z-truck (or cutting head) to the bottom of it's travel and look behind the flex shaft. Do you see a thin white cable (5 pin FFC)? If so, grab it with a pair of needle nose pliers and pull it out. This will prevent the broken home sensor shorting against the z-truck while carving. Hope this helps.

cabnet636
12-10-2007, 06:59 AM
very nice work!! built difussers before and had them check and split because of cold and moisture at ac. now we do them out of 1/2 inch veneer core ply with oak/mohogany veneer. very nice work!!
cabnet

dougsnash
12-10-2007, 02:59 PM
Thanks, I'm hoping the piece will be alright since it is fairly small. The actual size is only about 6"X8". The Ex wife built a closet ofer the original opening so it is only half the width of a normal cold air return.

Doug MacDonald
NW Ontario, Canada