PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the bits

Tamib
12-07-2007, 01:35 PM
I hope you can help me....First off, exactly how many bits are there for this machine? I bought the set that includes (what I thought...Everything I would need) Plus I have the two that came with the machine. The machine keeps asking for certain bits, 3/16 ogee, or the 1/16 carving, or 1/16 cutting...but.....machine won't cut anything...what is going on...Plus, I really don't know a radius roman ogee from a 3/16 ogee....it seems that my machine won't except any kind of bit...what could be going on? I thought the two bits that came with the machine would cut about anything....HELP! Thanks

Dale in Anaheim
12-07-2007, 04:05 PM
Tami,

I understand your frustration. Perhaps if you posted the project you are working on we could help you figure out what is going on.

I will assume that you ordered the bit set from LHR. There are quite a few bits in that standard set. I have that same set and though I've made a couple of projects on my machine I have yet use more than 2 or three of them; certainly no more than one or two at a time.

After you post your project, and while you wait for a response, try something simple like the star pattern in the default pattern library and see if it works. That simple shape by itself should only require one bit and I believe that it is the 1/16 carving bit that came with the machine.

While you work on that simple project, keep accurate track of everything that happens and try to describe the steps that your machine performs in detail. Write down any error messages you get (if you get them). Does the machine check the bit after you load it and then immediately ask you to load another bit? Does the machine touch the bit on both the keypad side and the far side of the board and then on top of the board? Does it move the head over to the side of the machine away from the keypad and touch the bit to the touch plate (little black flapper that pops out)? Does the touch plate make contact with the bit? These are all things to look for when loading bits.

Let us know.

Dale

TurkeyBranch
12-07-2007, 04:08 PM
When you begin a project, the machine will ask for every bit it will need to complete it, as you specified in the design.
Once it has gone through all of the bits, it will ask for the 1/16" carving bit and then begin carving. It will then ask for each bit as it needs them.

If you select an area on your design, right click, then click select bit, it will show you a profile of the bits. The classic ogee has a small squared step in it, where as the standard ogee does not.

I hope this has answered your question, or at least pointed in the right direction :)

Tamib
12-07-2007, 11:21 PM
Thanks Much....but....I'm beginning to think, that my machine doesn't want to use any bits...LOL! What exactly were the bits called that came with the machine? 1/8 & 1/16 carving or cutting ????? I'm getting frustrated and confused, I guess I need a picture book on what the bits are....I'm basically just trying to cut letters into a board....very basic and have done it before with the bits that came with machine...but...now...Hmmmmm asks for the bit...scans back and forth then asks for the 1/8 carving bit.....scans back and forth then asks for that same bit again....weird! Oh yeah....after each time I did press enter.

Jeff_Birt
12-07-2007, 11:28 PM
CW has a good picture of all the bits on their web site:

http://carvewright.com/store/home.php?cat=251

If it keeps asking for the same bit over and over it is likely that your 'bit plate' (touch plate) is not coming out all the way. After you install the with watch it as it takes the to the far side of the machine, a little flapper comes out and the bit will go down and touch it a few times so the machine will know where the top of the bit is. If the bit does not touch the flapper that machine gets confused. This is a common problem and the fix is typically easy.

Just do a search for 'bit plate' and you will find your answer.

badger
12-08-2007, 06:33 AM
asks for the bit...scans back and forth then asks for the 1/8 carving bit.....scans back and forth then asks for that same bit again....weird! Oh yeah....after each time I did press enter.

then asks for that same bit again

You didnt happen to mention what it did after that step. TurkeyBranch was correct in saying that the machine will ask for every bit that it will take to accomplish your project. Then it will ask for the first one again and at that time it should begin to carve your project. When its done carving then it will ask you to install the next bit, hit enter and it will perform that task, then will ask for the next bit, hit enter and it will perform that task until all are done.

I hope that is all that is needed, because the first time I had to use two bits I was worried also that it wasnt working right until I finally did everything it ask me to do and realized that it finally started carving. Good luck.

TurkeyBranch
12-08-2007, 06:40 AM
If it is asking for the same bit over and over............

Is it going over to the far side, away from keypad, and when it goes down to check for depth, does a little steel plate kick out and the bit touch it? Should do it 2 times, then go back to the near side and set depth, then height

But after it hits the bit plate, it should come back, go down 1 or 2 times, then move slightly and then go down and touch the wood surface 1 or 2 times. Then it should carve.

Usually when it ask for the same bit over and over the bit plate is not coming out.

Ed

Tamib
12-13-2007, 10:35 AM
Thanks everyone for responding, I guess you have probably noticed, that I am really new at this and really have no clue about bits...the am assuming that the machine came with 1/16 carving bit with adapter and the 1/8 cutting with adapter. Then I purchased the "Full Set" and I have No Clue as what they are: 1/2 Classic Ogee is it the same as the 1/2 Radius Classic Ogee? Or, do I have to purchase more bits...LOL...frustrating! I wish they could mark the bits somehow. Anyway.....my machine keeps asking for certain bits...I finally tried every bit that I own....still will not carve. The machine does it's homing thing back and forth...then asks for the bit....I press enter....does the homing thing again....on and on.....maybe you are right that the thing is not flipping back out....how do I fix this? I have been trying to carve something for 1 week now to no avail.....weird! Just how many bits are out there for this machine? Where do I purchase them? Thanks so much...getting behind of Christmas Gifts....I'm ready to give up...LOL! Just another Newbie;)

Jeff_Birt
12-13-2007, 11:37 AM
Do a search of the forum for 'bit plate'.

Router-Jim
12-13-2007, 11:45 AM
Tamib, here is a suggestion to help you identify your bits and their profiles.

Open your designer program and select new project. Make it a 6" x 6" board 3/4" thick.

Now select the square tool and place it around your board. Set it at 6" x 6" also. While it's highlighted in white your bit selection option should be usable on your tool bar. It's beside the drill icon. Press it.

Now select a bit and notice the profile it puts on the edge. Use the rotate tool to look at the board from different angles. Press the board front icon to return to your original board. Use your text tool to put the name of the bit on the board.

Print out the page for future reference.

Repeat for each bit.

I hope this helps

Jim

Tamib
12-19-2007, 07:39 AM
Hi again everyone,
After reading everyones ideas, I have found that indeed, my bits are not hitting the bit plate...the flip out thing...LOL, does anyone know how to fix this...remember, I am a women so step by step would be a good thing..LOL! Thanks Much!

Oliver Lande
12-19-2007, 10:22 AM
I had this problem early on in my machines life, and it was a pain until I finally seemed to get it figured out. Jeff is right about searching the forum for the bit plate solution. Plus there's also a good "sticky" about trimming the tabs on a retainer. The most helpful piece I ran across though was about a dry lube that I now use. Keep in mind that you HAVE to keep the machine clean, any dust (and the carveright creates lots of dust) will get in the way of smooth operation of any machine.