PDA

View Full Version : 2 Board Detectors broke in 2 days....

Digitalwoodshop
12-05-2007, 02:06 PM
Had a Zero Board detector on my warranty machine and found the LED's to be broken off. First time seeing that but have read about it.

AL

Kenm810
12-05-2007, 03:36 PM
Hey Al,

Samething here, I got a clear board sensor error,
when I cranked the head up, I found the sensor hanging by the wires.
I have photos of the broken parts on my other computer.
I've been waiting for the replacement since last week

Tuff to carve much without it. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

Digitalwoodshop
12-05-2007, 03:47 PM
I am just finishing up with Service on the phone and the part will be on the way shortly. Nothing but the best in service. I am in this for the long haul and I am grateful that a great parts and support system is in place. Without it....... I would be sunk.

Thanks,

AL

Jeff_Birt
12-05-2007, 04:07 PM
I noticed that when I removed my sensor for cleaning I tightened the mounting screws just a bit too much and started to fracture the plastic mounting flange. This causes me to suspect that the broken mounts allow the sensor to vibrate while carving which eventually leads to broken LEDs.

I have been examining a few bad board sensors that someone sent me. The case is designed in such a way that it clamps the LEDs in place fairly well. I had suspected that sawdust may be getting through the holes for the LED leads but after seeing the tight fit between lead and case and considering the convoluted path the sawdust would have to go to get in there it does not seem to be a contributing factor. More likely the way the side cover seals to the plastic window is to blame. Some really crappy ASCII art follows.

__ > Window
| |
| |) > back cover curves to clear LEDs
| |
| |)
|_|

The roughly rectangular shape represents the clear window, the ')' represents the curvature of the rear cover. The curvature is there to keep from blocking the light from the LEDs. These 'curves' also create a tiny gap through which sawdust can migrate. I have yet to think of a good way to seal it that would not prevent future cleaning or clog up the clear window.

EDIT: Being a large nerd, I measured the gap at the 'curve' just now with a tool makers microscope. The worst one had a gap of almost 0.010" the other one was closer to 0.002" (need to properly fixture the part to get a 'really' accurate reading :) ) I kind of wonder if the curves are needed at all. I feel an experiment coming on.....

Sorry, Al. Guess I hijacked your thread.

Dale in Anaheim
12-05-2007, 04:50 PM
Jeff If you play around with it, I'd be really interested in hearing what you come up with. My experiments with sealing it failed miserably and I ended up ripping it apart (again) last week and removing the little plastic window all together so that I could get back to work on some Christmas presents.

Dale

Kenm810
12-05-2007, 05:17 PM
Jeff,

I was just thinking about what you said about the small gaps in the way the side panel holds the lens cover in place.
When we try to get powered or dry lubes into a bearing sleeves we often use a small jet of air over,
but not into one opening to form a negative pressure inside the sleeve to draw the lube in through the other small openings.
Like a venturie fitting or air brush set up.
I wonder if by using compressed air to clean the sensor we might inadvertently be causing some of the problems.

Digitalwoodshop
12-06-2007, 10:03 AM
It's all about the common problem and the brain storming to possibly help. We are in this for the long haul. I have 2 broken board sensors now and 3 in total on the way. I know in my electronics stuff packed away I have some fiber optic cable from the Omron Sensors. I would love to get 2 eight inch lengths and find a way to encapsulate them to the end of the LED and Sensor. The goal would be for the fibers to point out through 2 or 3 holes through the old board sensor and replace the LED's at the cutter area. Moving them up near the Z Motor. They must be IR LED's since you don't see the light. Looks like it might be 2 illuminators and 1 receiver but a closer inspection is necessary.

If I knew what the signal was that was outputted, like 0 to 5 volts I might be able to use a Omron sensor. Something for the winter when I dig out my O Scope and stuff from my storage and set up my Electronic Bench.

Bottom line is it works now but in my case operator error broke the 2nd sensor.... and pinched a wire.... I stole the sensor from my other unit waiting for the spindle to come in the mail. Now both are down... I miss the Hum of the Carver in the morning through my intercom and the sweet smell of Pine.... Or was that Napam.... :)

AL

Kenm810
12-06-2007, 10:29 AM
I,m a little perplexed about a board sensor Error, I too happen to be waiting for a new board sensor. In the mean time I remover the lens cover and remounted the old sensor on the "Z" truck and began getting reading of 148 to 151 --- Great, I started a project and got a clear board sensor error, tried several times to start the project and got the error message each time, clear board sensor followed by a error message 400 - can not fine board edges. ----- Any Hints ??? http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_confused.gif

liquidguitars
12-06-2007, 10:31 AM
regarding the damaged bord sensor: Could it be a tear out of wood jamming under the board sensor that is under cutting the LED's or plastic?

Buy the time you return to your project the wood splinter could be in the dust bin and you got a busted sensor.

clear board sensor followed by a error message 400

Ken check your roller sensors "07" I think the rollers can add to this prob if sticky, even if the board sensor is cool.
LG

Digitalwoodshop
12-06-2007, 10:46 AM
Or you pinched a wire putting it back in and after the vibration.. Broke through.... Like me... Down for the count....

AL

Kenm810
12-06-2007, 11:17 AM
I just did a good Check of what you both suggested.
The machine is clean, nothing in or around the sensor
No wires appear to be pinched or shorted.
I checked the roller sensors "07s", alls fine rollers too.

The machine homes, asks if I want it to stay under rollers
and begins to measure the width of the board, the "Z" truck moves about 3"
away from the homing position across the board and errors out. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_sad.gif