PDA

View Full Version : Light Box Sled & Design

Dirtydan
12-03-2007, 06:16 PM
Well here's the sled I made for my light box design... Real Simple..
And the finished Light Box...:p

I've only attacked a few pictures of the sled...

Kenm810
12-03-2007, 09:07 PM
Very Slick Dan,

Ain't the feeling Great when a project comes all together.

Well Done! and Thanks for sharing. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

rjustice
12-04-2007, 03:20 PM
Dan,

Very nice setup. Thanks for sharing with us. You really have those corian Lithopane carvings down to a science! Beautiful work!

Happy carving...

Ron J.

Dirtydan
12-12-2007, 06:28 PM
Well the prototype is ready for stain. We're going to use Ebony and then rub and sand until my arms fall off.

All of it was done on the CW except for the 45 picture frame cuts on the base.legs I ment to take pictures before I mounted the lege to the base, but...I was on a roll...

There are a total of 10 pieces....
4 - Base Legs
1 - Base
4 - Side Rails
1 - Top

and little hardware on the top to remove the top for bulb replacements and/or corian carvings.

Well I was going to upload the pictures, but for some reason the upload keeps failing.. Hmmmmmmmmm don't understand...all the .jpg's are 100K or less...

Well I have them posted on my site...if anyone cares..

Dirtydan
12-12-2007, 06:38 PM
Guess it works better if your click on the reduced file... Old age is getting to me...

Here's the pic's

Kenm810
12-12-2007, 07:49 PM
Great project Dan,

It will be a wonderful accent piece for any room
Well done, Very well done. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

Thanks for Sharing your Photos

ruggybear
12-12-2007, 10:31 PM
Dan,

Do you mind sharing the project files and a little explanation?

Very nice project. What will you use for a light?

I have been trying to figure out a light box but always keep comig up empty.

Regards,

Ken

Dirtydan
12-13-2007, 12:19 AM
Sure Ken, I've attached them for everyone.

I know what you mean by your "trying to figure out a light box" statement. I've wasted a lot of wood trying to get things right. I was luck on this project, it looks like the third time was the charm...

I made a sled to carve the side supports. The file only shows one channel. after the first pass, the wood has to be rotated and flipped over and then run through the machine again.

The lightly carved box on the Legs pattern mark where the 45 degree cut has to be made on your table saw or what ever you have. Everything else is done on the CW machine...

The project is set up for 5 x 8 x .250 corian and a 5 x 8 x .125 clear plastic.
The slots on the Top, Bottom and Side Supports are 0.375 (3/8") and hold those items in place. The Side Supports are 0.750 x 0.750 x 8 inches long. You can play with the four square carve outs in the top and bottom pieces... You can make them a little smaller, but no more than 1/32 for sure. To change them just click on the top left square on each piece and change the size. The others are mirror images of that one.

Hope this helps...

Have fun.

Dan,

Do you mind sharing the project files and a little explanation?

Very nice project. What will you use for a light?

I have been trying to figure out a light box but always keep comig up empty.

Regards,

Ken

mtylerfl
12-13-2007, 08:47 AM
Hello Dirtydan,

That is an absolutely superb project - very, very well thought out! Thank you for taking the time and effort to design it.

I haven't studied the mpc's yet - does it require any bits other than the two standard carving and cutting bits?

ruggybear
12-13-2007, 09:11 AM
Dan,

Thanks for the files and description. What are you using for the light and how do you mount it?

Regards and Happy Holidays,

Ken

Dirtydan
12-13-2007, 09:55 AM
Michael,

Two extra bits are used:
3/8 Straight - for the channel routing to hold the corian and clear plastic.
3/8 Classical - for the edge route on the top and bottom pieces.

Everything else is done with the two basic bits... (Carving & Cutting)

Thanks for the kind words...if you only knew my design process...you'd run and hide.... there's nothing on paper... or anywhere else, well except for the Designer package... For some reason I have a hard time getting what I see in my mind onto paper... It's faster just to do it... I was that way with programming, "Never put anything on paper, just started typing..."

Thanks again.... Take care,

Hello Dirtydan,

That is an absolutely superb project - very, very well thought out! Thank you for taking the time and effort to design it.

I haven't studied the mpc's yet - does it require any bits other than the two standard carving and cutting bits?

Dirtydan
12-13-2007, 10:05 AM
Ken,

I'm going to use a 30 watt CF bulb... You know, the one that looks like a pigs tail... It mounts through the hole in the center of the bottom piece... I'm using a typical lamb "Keyless Socket Adapter" and a "1 x 1/8 inch IP threaded rod". The wiring runs through the rod...

Dan,

Thanks for the files and description. What are you using for the light and how do you mount it?

Regards and Happy Holidays,

Ken

Dirtydan
12-13-2007, 10:43 AM
I've added 1/8" holes to the base to help secure the side rails. This will also require some back drilling into the side rails with a smaller bit and then using screws to lock everything into place.

For now I'm just using glue and .23mm pins to perform that function. This mod will allow me to add the screws if I find the glue and pins do not provide enough support.

I do not intend to hard mount the top, but if someone wanted to do that, I would suggest putting the same 1/8" holes in the Top and using screws only... (No glue or pins - You might have to change the bulb at some point)

Dan-Woodman
12-13-2007, 05:13 PM
I used to make display cases that had the same base with clear glass on 4 sides for dolls,beanie babies etc.
Just cut slots in the 4 corner posts for the glass or plastic.
later Daniel

Dirtydan
12-13-2007, 05:49 PM
I used to make display cases that had the same base with clear glass on 4 sides for dolls,beanie babies etc.
Just cut slots in the 4 corner posts for the glass or plastic.
later Daniel

Dan,

I'm sorry, I don't understand... There are already slots in the post. Guess you didn't look at them very well... Or, maybe you ment that comment for someone else, in which case I'm sorry once again...

Dan-Woodman
12-13-2007, 09:53 PM
What I do is make a base like you have pictured and then add 1"x1" corner posts rising up with slots on ajoining corners to hold glass and then another board on top , like the base.
It looks like the same thing you have done here . I just use clear glass though to make a display case ,with no carvings on the glass.

Thats looks like a very nice project for the cw. I think we will all be still amazed at what we can create years from now.
I was mainly suggesting other uses for the same design. great project.
later Daniel

Dirtydan
12-17-2007, 05:40 PM
Well we have found a few oversights that will be corrrected on the next box. Nothing that couldn't be lived with, but we though we'd tighten things up a little bit more... Now remember this design is for 5 x 8 x 0.250 corian, so if yor plan to use the design, changes have to be made if you're going to use something different.

I've modified the Base, Top and side post and will post the files on my site.. The new modifications might require a little edge sanding on the corian, but not much...

Here the first two boxes.... One is about 95% and other one is about 35%. Nethier box has the new modification incorporated...

Dirtydan
12-17-2007, 09:53 PM
Well this will be my shop Demo Unit... The production ones will have all the problems I found corrected should be very nice...

Excuse the pictures, I'm tired and lighting not real great...:(

Also, the next time I'll just carve the protrait and not try and make it look like a picture... To much light around the image... I think, what do you all think?????

ruggybear
12-17-2007, 10:23 PM
Dan,

Thanks for posting the files. As soon as I get my machine back up and running I will be downloading the lastest files and giving it a go.

Currently have an adapter stuck in the QCC. Recieved Ron J's tools today and will remove the QCC tomorrow and try to clean it up. May wind up getting a ne w QCC from LHR. Looking forward to being able to produce th elight box.

Regards,

Ken

Gallaher
12-18-2007, 01:12 AM
Are those pictures carved in corian?
Please explain how you made the portraits.

Dirtydan
12-18-2007, 01:37 AM
Yes, that's Corian....

The process is no different than with wood...except, there's basically NO clean-up after you take it out of the machine...

There are several ways to handle pictures/portraits...
1. I open the picture I want to use.
2. Copy it to a new file with a transparent background
3. Erase all the un-wanted background from the orginal file.
4. Crop the file down the size I want to project
5. Save the fils as a .png
6. Import the new file into Desinger
7. Turn off the Feather option
8. Set the depth to .1 or .125
9. You can play with the height if you want...
10. Save the file
11. Upload it to the card
12. Place the Corian Center-Center on a sled
13. Tape the edges and Carve...

That's the main points... The sled design and utilization is just as important as editing the picture... Build a sled that is easy to change/update to different corian sizes...

This should get you started... Do a search on Portraits...there's a lot of info on the subject... Some people like to convert their color pictures to Grayscale before they did any other editing. I did that for a while and then noticed that if I saved the color file as a .png I would get the same results as doing the Grayscale conversion and saving the file as a .jpg or .png. So, one less step...for me any way

Hope this helps....

Are those pictures carved in corian?
Please explain how you made the portraits.

Dirtydan
12-18-2007, 01:50 AM
Your welcome Ken...

How long have you had your CW? I assume your talking about the Quick Release Chuck.... If the tool that came with the machine dosen't get it done, try applying a little 3-in-1 oil around the edge of the chuck. Use the CW bit release tool to move the outer ring up and down.

After you get things working again with or without a new QRC, remember to always do the following between every bit change:
1. After Removing the bit let the outer ring snap down. It actually turns to your left and down. (you should see clumps of dust fall out)
2. Pust the outer ring up and let it snap back there of four more times. (or until no more dust particals drop out)
3. Shoot a little compressed air up into the bit retaining area while holding the outer ring up (Unlocked)
4. Install the new bit...

Haven't had any trouble with getting a bit out after following the above process.

Dan,

Thanks for posting the files. As soon as I get my machine back up and running I will be downloading the lastest files and giving it a go.

Currently have an adapter stuck in the QCC. Recieved Ron J's tools today and will remove the QCC tomorrow and try to clean it up. May wind up getting a ne w QCC from LHR. Looking forward to being able to produce th elight box.

Regards,

Ken

ruggybear
12-18-2007, 07:37 AM
Dan,

I have had the machine since last February. Not sure how many hours on it but quite a few. I have used the tool that can with the machine and did the 3 and 1 oil thing but the adapter just will not come out. It is loose but. I have seen sawdust with oil come out. Yes I am talking about the QRC. Plan on using Ron's tools to remove the QRC so I can really get in there and clean it real good. Then be more diligent in doing after carve cleanup. I did have to send the machine to LHR once for repair and have had to install a new Zpack . Other than that I have had nothing but operator error.

Also have to replace on og the traction belts that is torn. They arrived yesterday so that will get done as well.

Regards,

Ken

Dirtydan
12-18-2007, 06:44 PM
Ken,

Here's some better pictures..

ruggybear
12-18-2007, 08:12 PM
Dan,

Thanks for the latest pictures. Let me know when you upload the newest files to your web site.

I got the QRC removed from the machine today and the bit adapter removed from it. Lookslike I will be calling LHR tomorrow and getting a new QRC. This one has some internal damage and no sawdust.

Ken

DocWheeler
12-18-2007, 08:15 PM
Dan,

Looks like a well executed design. The light seems to be well distributed, that was a concern of mine.

I was considering a "night-light" or hanging light with the lithopanes as the shade - I have yet to build one.

Dirtydan
12-19-2007, 11:57 AM
That's a 13W bulb... I think it's a little to bright... I've found some lower wattage bulbs, but $$$$ some are $8 each... So if anyone finds something in the 5-8 watt range for around $3-$5...let me know...

Dan,

Looks like a well executed design. The light seems to be well distributed, that was a concern of mine.

I was considering a "night-light" or hanging light with the lithopanes as the shade - I have yet to build one.

I like the idea of using the lithopanes as a shade, but the weight might be an issue... Corian is not light...
The night-light would be nice also, but weight and mounting ..... we'll have to think on it for a while...
Good ideas for sure... Let me know if you come up with some designs...

ruggybear
12-19-2007, 10:54 PM
Hi Dan,

Have got my CC up and running again. Removed the QRC with Ron's tools and got the stuck adapter removed as well. The QRC has four places you can place the set screws of the adapter for locking into the QRC. Two of them are damaged but the other two work just fine. So while my replacement is being shipped I reinstalled the QRC and am up and running. Did a couple of carfes tonight with no problem.

Going for wood to try and make the Quad light box tomorrow. You mentioned in an earlier post that you were going to place the most recently modified on your web site. I just looked there and did not find them.

I am excited about this project. Thanks for sharing. Will post picture wehn I get it done.

Happy holidays,

Ken

Dirtydan
12-19-2007, 11:19 PM
Ken,

Sorry about that.... Guess I forgot to upload them. Well this gave me a chance to clean up my file area...

ruggybear
12-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Dan,

Thanks, just downloaded the new files.

One more question - What size drill are you using for the various drill operations?
I assume 1/4" shank so that they will fit into an adapter.

Ken

Dirtydan
12-20-2007, 01:26 PM
I use a 1/2" shank on my 3/8" bit, but a 1/4" shank one will work just as well.

Dan,

One more question - What size drill are you using for the various drill operations?
I assume 1/4" shank so that they will fit into an adapter.

Ken

ruggybear
12-20-2007, 08:38 PM
Hi Dan,

Don't have a 1/2" adapter anyway so 1/4" will have to do. Now I need to see if I have a 3/8 bit with said shank.

Ken

geekviking
01-30-2009, 07:24 PM
I made a sled to carve the side supports. The file only shows one channel. after the first pass, the wood has to be rotated and flipped over and then run through the machine again.

Dan,
Do you have a picture of the sled you made? I'm ready to try your design, but I don't know if you just ripped the slots on your table saw, or if the sled you made runs through the CC/CW... :) Thanks!

Dirtydan
01-31-2009, 01:12 AM
I did use a sled on the first couple of boxes. While the sled works fine, it is a pain to turn and flip the pieces after the first side is done and its much simpler to just use a router table...to do the job. Setup is simple and it's much faster than using the CW. If you still want pictures of the sled, I'll take some tomorrow and send them to you...

Dirtydan
01-31-2009, 02:55 PM

Dan,
Do you have a picture of the sled you made? I'm ready to try your design, but I don't know if you just ripped the slots on your table saw, or if the sled you made runs through the CC/CW... :) Thanks!

Here's some pic's of the sled I used. What I like to do is put the slots into a long section and then cut it to the lenght I need. The sled shown will handle about 36".

The holes at each end are for pushing the rail out of the sled. The rail size I use is 0.750" x 0.750". The slots in the rails should be about 5/16" wide and at least 0.125 deep.

Dirtydan
01-31-2009, 02:59 PM
Here's my new light box design... It handles 4 5" x 10" x 0.250" Corian panels.

Dirtydan
01-31-2009, 03:05 PM
Here's a down and dirty Light Box.... Single Corian Panel design.... This handles a 5" x 8" x 0.250" panel. Light is placed on the back. Sorry, it's a little dark... I'll try and get a lighter picture later...

geekviking
01-31-2009, 03:54 PM
Gunny, do you have MPC's for the new design made up, that looks VERY nice as well! I just carved out my first pic's on a piece of cutting board, and they came out really beautiful... But I didn't carve them a standard size, I was trying to fit 4 equal sized pics on the board. Have to standardize the size before cutting the next ones... :)

What kind of bit do you use in your router to do them?

Dirtydan
01-31-2009, 05:15 PM
Gunny, do you have MPC's for the new design made up, that looks VERY nice as well! I just carved out my first pic's on a piece of cutting board, and they came out really beautiful... But I didn't carve them a standard size, I was trying to fit 4 equal sized pics on the board. Have to standardize the size before cutting the next ones... :)

I just made a down and dirty one for you to play with. As I said before, these pieces are done much eaiser on a table router... I mainly use the CW for the Corian Carvings...

To use the MPC below, you will need to either build a sled (44"L x 11"W) or use a board the same size (44" x 11" x 0.75")

Dirtydan
01-31-2009, 05:25 PM

Made it a little simpler... But remember you will have to cut to size and then do the 45 degree picture frame cuts your self...

Correction, the board or Sled will have to be 47" long and at least 11.75" wide.... OK????

geekviking
01-31-2009, 08:25 PM
Is this for your new model that holds 4 5x10's?
Thanks big time for the project!
Also, I think the skinny pieces in your file are the supports that hold the corian, but there are only slots down one side... It would probably be easier to use my router like you said, but what bit would you suggest to rout the slots for .25 corian?

Dirtydan
01-31-2009, 09:30 PM
Is this for your new model that holds 4 5x10's?
Thanks big time for the project!
Also, I think the skinny pieces in your file are the supports that hold the corian, but there are only slots down one side... It would probably be easier to use my router like you said, but what bit would you suggest to rout the slots for .25 corian?

The mpc file was an example of how to do it... You can only do one side of the supports at a time.... To save time, I'd just delete the supports from the file and utilize the rest. Acutally, I'd do it all with a router, but this will give you a chance to play with the file and see the results. The only way to learn is by doing.... Go ahead and give it a try... Sure, you might waste some wood, but you will also see where you went wrong so you can fix it the next time....

Have fun.... Oh, I use a .250" bit on the router and then sand the slots out a little so the Corian will move freely in the slots. A 5/16 bit would be great if you can find one.... 3/8 is to large.....but it will work...also.

geekviking
01-31-2009, 11:23 PM
Thanks Dan! This'll keep me busy for awhile :)