PDA

View Full Version : Keep getting prompted to insert same bit

NetHog
12-01-2007, 11:40 PM
A couple of times this has happened now, where machine keeps telling me to insert bit (e.g. cutting bit), goes through the homing/checking sequence, then prompts me for same bit again.

Currently machine is stuck in this condition. Watching the machine right now, I've noticed what seems to be the problem.

When the bit goes through the checking sequence, the bit moves on the Y-axis to the far side. Normally when it does this, it causes a metal plate to pop out, and then lowers the bit until it hits this plate. Interestingly there's nothing documented in the manual about this plate.

Currently, the plate is not popping out all the way. it's coming out just a little bit. I can move the plate freely with my fingers, so I'm thinking the motor is not travelling all the way on the Y-axis.

Anyone run into this problem before?

woodknack
12-01-2007, 11:45 PM
Yup you need to clean the spring on that plate real good. blow it out with air and then oil it with a dry graphite spray. and you'll be golden. Good luck..

NetHog
12-01-2007, 11:49 PM
Yup you need to clean the spring on that plate real good. blow it out with air and then oil it with a dry graphite spray. and you'll be golden. Good luck..

Cool, I'll blow it out tomorrow (mostly use a shop vac for cleaning) and see how I do.

Dirtydan
12-02-2007, 01:13 AM
Here's what I did.

Make sure the metal plate moves freely.... Take some light oil (3-1) and wipe it on the metal plate and the y-axis truck where it contacts the metal plate. If you have been doing a lot of carving also vacum out the track behind the y-axis truck. The light oil film always works for me...

A couple of times this has happened now, where machine keeps telling me to insert bit (e.g. cutting bit), goes through the homing/checking sequence, then prompts me for same bit again.

Currently machine is stuck in this condition. Watching the machine right now, I've noticed what seems to be the problem.

When the bit goes through the checking sequence, the bit moves on the Y-axis to the far side. Normally when it does this, it causes a metal plate to pop out, and then lowers the bit until it hits this plate. Interestingly there's nothing documented in the manual about this plate.

Currently, the plate is not popping out all the way. it's coming out just a little bit. I can move the plate freely with my fingers, so I'm thinking the motor is not travelling all the way on the Y-axis.

Anyone run into this problem before?

Ron
12-02-2007, 04:16 AM
Funny you should bring this up.I have 3 calls to LHR right now waiting for response.
On my machine the flapper just barely comes out and the bit dont have a chance to touch
it,so its continues the homing sequence.Thought it was clean will double check.

Router-Jim
12-02-2007, 07:32 AM
I've had this just start to happen to me too. I thought things were clean but I never oiled it so I will try that. I had used a hook on an insulated wire to assist the metal plate and was able to carve.

Jeff_Birt
12-02-2007, 08:18 AM
Guys do a search for 'bit plate'. You will find out a lot of information. There is also a PDF in the thread at the very top of the trouble shooting section that covers the bit plate as well.

Remember search is your friend.

Router-Jim
12-02-2007, 08:26 AM
Jeff you know this is another example of where a schematic drawing would help. One that ID'd parts. I have read many different terms including "metal plate", "metal flapper", "flapper thing", and now "bit plate". Hard to do a decent search when you're not sure of the part name.

Don't mean to sound critical, it's just that I'm a bit disappointed today. :(

mikemel
12-02-2007, 11:14 AM
I had the same problem with a new (3 hrs) machine. The guy at LHR told me to bend it up slightly. This did the trick as it has worked properly for three weeks now.

Kenm810
12-02-2007, 11:46 AM
Hey All,

According to LHR Manual page 25
the proper name for the part is Touch Plate

NetHog
12-02-2007, 11:44 PM
Here's what I did.

Make sure the metal plate moves freely.... Take some light oil (3-1) and wipe it on the metal plate and the y-axis truck where it contacts the metal plate. If you have been doing a lot of carving also vacum out the track behind the y-axis truck. The light oil film always works for me...

I cleaned around, and got hit with the problem again after one hour. However I oiled it, and that did the trick.

Kurtsara
12-03-2007, 06:13 PM
I just use one of these to hold it out all the time.