PDA

View Full Version : Upside-down drawing in designer?

rengaw
11-30-2007, 03:12 AM
Working on the first project building a scanning sled. Did the base last night on the older soft/firmware, but the design was symmetrical so I didn't notice. After the upgrade finally got registered today, I started on the side rails by drawing 2 horizontal lines 3/16 and 7/16 away from the top edge because that is where the X/Y grid homed. Told it to use a 90 degree V bit .015 deep to cut thru the laminate for better glue adhesion.
Loaded the board, but instead of carving on the "far" side, (like the screen layout), it carved on the "near" side.
Did a couple of quick test pieces and it seems everything comes out "Upside down" from the screen view.
Is this normal? In any other CAD or graphics software lower left is the 0-0-0 XYZ origin. This must play hell with text layout.
Can't find any posts or mention here or in the manual. What am I missing?
Also wanted to drill some 1/8 holes thru a C'sink, but the holes always come out oblong. The 1/8 cutout tool is center cutting, but maybe the machine wants to "walk" the bit back and forth for a thru hole. If that is the case, what is the smallest round hole the "Drill" function will produce?
From what I can tell so far, maybe a V bit could be selected at a "through" depth but when called for insert the cutting bit.
Any help for an old newbie would sure be helpful!
Thanks!

Ron Smith
11-30-2007, 07:04 AM
This shows the orientation and page 21 of the 4/23/07 manual showes and explains it for you. You can get a new version of the manual on the Carvewright website. I know it's confusing when starting out ... I did it too. Hope this helps.

Ron

fwharris
11-30-2007, 01:15 PM
I thought I was all confused to on this too.

In the manual it says cross cuts are on the right end of the board as in figure 14, but when I do a cross cut it is on the left side of the board. Same thing on rip cuts, bood says far side and the actual is near side.

Since everything cuts ok, I figured the book was bass ackwards, or they put the machine together bass akwards...

rengaw
11-30-2007, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the replys! Now I'm really confused...
So then, the default "0" for the XYZ axis would be in the upper right corner on the display, but the "near left" corner on the machine if I understand correctly.
If that is the case then the grid in the software zeros on the wrong corner. It zeros on the upper LEFT corner when not centered.
Oh well, 30 years of NC, CNC, CAD and Graphics down the tube. Or maybe UP the tube?

Thanks guys!