PDA

View Full Version : Pattern Issues with 1.123

kwyjibo67
11-29-2007, 11:13 PM
Can anyone else verify this. Carvewright changed the .ptn format to allow licensing of .ptn files, but it also has the following side effects:

1) Pre-existing patterns that have been imported to your library prior to 1.123 can no longer be exported in 1.123! You get an error that you can only export patterns that you created. Well, I created them, but after the upgrade with the new licensing it won't let me export them.
2) The only way you can export a .ptn file is if you create it by importing an image in 1.123.

When a .ptn file is exported, it is written in the new file format. It appears that the new .ptn file format is not compatible with Jeff Birt's CarveBetter application.

I understand the need to add the licensing information to the .ptn file, but I wish they would have created them with a new extension (.ptl a licensed pattern). That way, you could still export an unlicensed .ptn in the old format, and export a licensed pattern if you created it in the new format.

By the way, why is the pattern editor only available with the probe? I think this would be a useful tool and should be included with Designer. If you can import an image to create a pattern, you should be able to edit that pattern after it is created.

Darryl A
11-30-2007, 07:32 AM
You're right! Not only can't I export patterns that I created in V1.120, I can't edit them with pattern editor ( I have the 3d probe). I have in my favorites over 40 patterns that I painstakenly created, now what?

TerryT
11-30-2007, 07:50 AM
I like the flexability we have with our patterns alot more than the idea of "try before you buy". Too much control LHR! Not good.

I have purchased a great many patterns in the last few months and have not really been unhappy with any of them. eight or ten have been from VectorArt3d. I guess I won't be buying from them anymore if they go to this new "control freak" format with all of their patterns. Plus you have to go through the crap of updating and bugs, etc. with the software update which basically seems to have only been designed to take away our ability to improve or modify the patterns we paid for.

Just my thoughts.
Terry

Dale in Anaheim
11-30-2007, 01:25 PM
I agree with the sentiment here. I for one am holding off on any "upgrade" for now. Perhaps a few of us should also write to LHR and complain. I am sure that the would love to know that their customer base does not enjoy their changes.

Dale

Ron
11-30-2007, 02:26 PM
I wont upgrade till I absoultely have to.I downloaded the update last night but wont
be using it after hearing the issuesThis doesnt make any sense to me

natman
11-30-2007, 03:43 PM
I currently have several patterns in my library from Vector Art,Carvebuddy, shared ones from this site as well as some I have designed. If I were to download the new version I take it that all the money I spent as well as the hours I have spent are wasted..I'll have to repurchase all of my patterns as well as spend another month redrawing all the others...Am I correct in my assumption that LHR just ripped us a new one and didn't even give us the common courtesy of a reach around????:-x

Jeff_Birt
11-30-2007, 03:54 PM
You can still use all your old patterns, no problem. You cannot edit them however. If you have the original artwork you can then import it into the CW pattern editor and create a pattern and edit all you want.

Bubbabear
11-30-2007, 03:57 PM
Just wondering and thinking how many have actually called them and let them know they have dumped on us. I say us so far it hasnt affected me because i have anything to edit but i know one day i am going to say %$%*% now i know what they were raising sand about :rolleyes:

I mean the way i am seeing this it is if jeff being the great guy he is makes me a pattern but it needs text or other adjustments
He will be the one that has to make any and all adjustments to the pattern.
please correct me if i am wrong

natman
11-30-2007, 04:09 PM
I'm still a little unclear about the whole deal here...Are you saying that I have to save all my patterns to another place then re import and edit them..If I download this so called great update and lose all this money I will probably do something that I will regret as well as LHR...It's bad enought that my machine has only been at my house 4 months in the past year and the rest of the time it has been in Texas getting the junk replaced in it..If I sound a little upset you are dang right..

JOHNB
11-30-2007, 05:18 PM
from what i've been reading, all i can say is "TO HE-LL WITH THEIR PATTERN DEPOT! AND [UP]DOWNGRADE!"

yatrgatr
11-30-2007, 05:39 PM
Ok answer me this? I loaded the new software 1.123 and along with not being able to edit any PTN files, it also put a carvewright folder in my documents with a favorites icon, when I clicked on it to figure out what it was, it asked me to register my favorites or try before i buy. If i click on the register, it then asks for a code, which i would not have seeing that the favorites folder has the ptn's that came with the software and MY PTN's that I created!!!!! :-x
next if you click on the try before you buy, then you cannot load any of the patterns on to the memory card until you register. well there is no place on the carvewright web site where you can buy it or get the code to register it!!!
I understand that I can edit MPW's and work i have in other file formats, but any files I have got from my friends here are locked, to me as well as them if it was in ptn form. screw that.

What is up with that?

I just reverted back to 1.121 and everything works. I think i will not upgrade to 1.123 sorry carvewright I will not buy any pattern from you!!!
and so starts the campain against LHR...

newcarver
11-30-2007, 05:53 PM
I think it will be up to LHR at this point to either find a solution for the issues we are having with this new upgrade or live with the fact they are going to start to loose business. Forcing anything on someone is NEVER the answer. The fact that you may not edit anything scanned prior to this upgrade is just plain wrong, what good is the pattern editor? Better yet, what good was the scanner? Bad move LHR. I will not upgrade to 1.123, just to be able to purchase patterns....

DON FIELDS
11-30-2007, 06:06 PM
I also have made some simple designs as I try to learn the program. I made them from scratch and find that I can't EXPORT them either. It would be interesting to learn this authoring process. Anyone have a clue?:confused:

Jeff_Birt
11-30-2007, 06:11 PM
You can edit things you have scanned in previous versions with 1.123, but only if you have the MPW file. You cannot edit the PTN file.

Reset
11-30-2007, 07:18 PM
You can edit things you have scanned in previous versions with 1.123, but only if you have the MPW file. You cannot edit the PTN file.

But I don't have the MPW files, because I could edit a PTN file. Because I could edit a PTN file there was no reason to save MPW files. Therefore...I cannot edit things I have scanned in previous versions.

Tommy

royerm
11-30-2007, 08:31 PM
Hummmmm, Just a comment, basic software upgrade rules is usually to be
upward compatible.
Not doing so makes customer unhappy, I think this is what I'm seeing in the forum.

JOHNB
12-01-2007, 06:13 PM
seems like lhr has gotten everyones attention, active members is up around 100 more?

Bubbabear
12-01-2007, 06:18 PM
seems like lhr has gotten everyones attention, active members is up around 100 more?

Thats what i am a talkin about bring them in with a rumble and a roar like the walbash cannon ball

Digitalwoodshop
12-01-2007, 06:41 PM
This is really a BAD time to be doing this and upsetting everyone on the forum. Future Customers who see the Ad on TV and come here as I DID last year will see a BAG OF WORMS and say.... Scratch that idea to buy that..... Not good for the Shareholders at CarveWright....

AL

JOHNB
12-01-2007, 07:32 PM
when lhr announced their upcoming new patterns, i said yippee, more competition, to keep the prices low. now i'm not exactly sure how the new s/w works, but from what i've been reading ,it don't sound good. i haven't d/l their downgrade, and hope i never have too. if the people that make patterns want to lock their own patterns, that is find and dandy with me. but please don't mess with my 300 or so ptn.s, mpc.s, grayscales patterns that i have already bought, created, traded in the past year. and if i want to use jeff's $5.00 cbpe(to transferr a ptn into my free paint.net instead of your 300.00 probe editor, by gosh, let me.

woodknack
12-01-2007, 09:55 PM
Kind of makes you sit back and wonder about LHR.

What happens in the next firmware updates? Will the patterns you bought from LHR not work???? Will you have to fight to get them back after you spent money on there patterns?????

Kind of makes me sit back and wonder, where are they going with this and what are we in store for next??????

JOHNB
12-01-2007, 10:24 PM
"i Promise I Will Never Buy A Pattern From Lhr!"

Virginia Beach Carver
12-06-2007, 11:01 AM
This maybe the answer to why I can not get the new "pattern editor" portion on my software to work for the first time. When I try to open a ptn in 1.123it does so in the import window and not any edit window. Is this part of the ungrade problems. If so can I reinstall the old version or will the memory card reject it because the firmware has been updated??? I am a new user and at this point I can not advise anyone I know to purchase this machine. Carvewright needs to fix this quick....

swhitney
12-06-2007, 01:03 PM
If so can I reinstall the old version or will the memory card reject it because the firmware has been updated??? I am a new user and at this point I can not advise anyone I know to purchase this machine. Carvewright needs to fix this quick....

I am running 1.120 on the computer, and have 1.123 firmware on the memory card. I have encountered no problems that I am aware of....

Virginia Beach Carver
12-07-2007, 06:11 AM
Thanks based on your answer I feel OK about reinstalling the old software. Maybe version 1.124 will fix this "problem" if they are smart?

eromran
12-07-2007, 07:52 AM
Ok i have not posted before but have been around here for about 1 year a had the machine for 6 months and have had little problems that was not easly solved by the great help of this board.
Is it correct that if we all had the pattern editor that comes wih the probe nothing would really change in the upgade and we could edit the old patterns as we use to and the new patterns would be protected as they want? If this is so then it seems obvious what they need to do is make another up grade with the editor in it. They should provide this uprade to exesting cutomers for free but even if they would charge a small price i would pay just to get over this bull****. When it comes down to it i bought this machine as it worked a certain way if they change that i should be allowed to get my money back no matter how old it is cause its not the machine i bought or said it was when i payed for it. sorry for rambling.I still think this is a great machine and hope the work this out quickly.

Jeff_Birt
12-07-2007, 08:03 AM
Really, guys 99.9% of folks will never know there is a difference between 1.120 and 1.123. IF you have the probe/CW Pattern editor you will notice a slight change in how you do things. Artwork files (MPW) are 'unlocked' or 'unsigned' so to speak, when you author a pattern it signs the pattern, although it is 'unlicensed', only you can edit it. ANYBODY can use a pattern the same way they always did in Designer. There is no reason the new pattern format alone would require you to have the pattern editor. I think that if we give CW time maybe they will find a fix allowing us to make 'unlicensed', editable patterns.

eromran
12-07-2007, 08:24 AM
Really, guys 99.9% of folks will never know there is a difference between 1.120 and 1.123. IF you have the probe/CW Pattern editor you will notice a slight change in how you do things. Artwork files (MPW) are 'unlocked' or 'unsigned' so to speak, when you author a pattern it signs the pattern, although it is 'unlicensed', only you can edit it. ANYBODY can use a pattern the same way they always did in Designer. There is no reason the new pattern format alone would require you to have the pattern editor. I think that if we give CW time maybe they will find a fix allowing us to make 'unlicensed', editable patterns.

So are you saying if i upgrade and then get a pattern off this board that someone wanted to share like so many great people have done that all i do is put it in designer like i have in the past and i can still edit it like i always have? That is what 99.9% of the people do or want. If that is the case there probally is not that big of a probleme just some misunderstanding of how its going to work.THANKS

Jeff_Birt
12-07-2007, 08:32 AM
So are you saying if i upgrade and then get a pattern off this board that someone wanted to share like so many great people have done that all i do is put it in designer like i have in the past and i can still edit it like i always have?

Let's be clear about the word 'edit'. You can do anything with any pattern in Designer that you could before: stretch, rotate, cover parts of it up, overlay it with other pattern, add text, etc. This is not editing the pattern.

There is an entirely separate program that you get with the scanning probe that allows you to edit scans and patterns you have made pixel by pixel. This is pattern 'editing'. In 1.123 you can still edit your own patterns/scans but not those of other folks.

I think your right, there is some confusion over 'using' a pattern in Designer and 'editing' a pattern in Pattern Editor.

eromran
12-07-2007, 08:58 AM
Let's be clear about the word 'edit'. You can do anything with any pattern in Designer that you could before: stretch, rotate, cover parts of it up, overlay it with other pattern, add text, etc. This is not editing the pattern.

There is an entirely separate program that you get with the scanning probe that allows you to edit scans and patterns you have made pixel by pixel. This is pattern 'editing'. In 1.123 you can still edit your own patterns/scans but not those of other folks.

I think your right, there is some confusion over 'using' a pattern in Designer and 'editing' a pattern in Pattern Editor.

Jeff i think as short and simple as you last reply was it should be posted over
and over maybe on some other thread also it explained alot once you get your head around it you are right most people will notice a differance and if you are a knew buyer you are buying with the knowledge of how it is workworking now. Part of my problem i felt they were trying to change something i had already bought which that really is not really true as you explained.They are protecting future abilities.Thanks again.

BobHill
12-07-2007, 09:40 AM
Also, folks, remember that if someone wishes to share their PATTERN (a pattern is NOT a MPC file, it's a PTN file) so it can be EDITED (edited does NOT mean it otherwise can't be used) the author CAN make it into a MPW file, which is an editable PTN file in LHR's PATTERN EDITOR (not Jeff's, YET). An edited MPW file can be SAVED as a PTN file in the Pattern Editor and that PTN now becomes authored by the person that edited it. Even for the original author to again edit it again that same PTN file would have to be put into a MPW file by the THAT author to make it again editable. If you follow that path it makes sense AND protects PTN files from being edited. It DOES NOT limit it's use. The only use limitations, as far as I now know for PTN files are the sample PTN files that LHR offers in their store. Before you PURCHASE them, you can open them in Designer and do the things you can do in Designer to them, EXCEPT you can't put those into your flash card and carve them until you purchase them. Now what's wrong with that?

Bob

Dale in Anaheim
12-07-2007, 10:55 AM
Now what's wrong with that?

Nothing, really. I guess my only remaining question is, why didn't LHR explain it that way, in that plain, simple, well thought out, and easy to understand manner in the beginning so that we could all understand the changes?

In fact, LHR still hasn’t explained it in as a concise, clearly written, easy to understand way as you and Jeff have described it here. Why is that? ( I know you and Jeff probably can't really answer that and I don't mean to ask a question to put you or he any further on the defensive, I was just typing the thoughts as they came to me).

I hope that LHR is (at the very least) sending you and Jeff a nice big fat Turkey or Ham this year for the holidays as a thank you because you two have done one heck of a job of going to bat on their behalf. Regardless of whether or not I, or anyone else, agree with LHR's changes; I think your actions in regards to your willingness to respond to all these posts and make sure that everyone understands this issue are very commendable.

Good job and thanks guys!

No, really.

Dale

BobHill
12-07-2007, 11:19 AM
Dale,
Although they certainly are growing, and I'm sure even now there are many who CAN do that, remember that both Jeff and I as well as others volunteer as moderators for LHR, so LHR IS doing it. LHR isn't some huge corporation although it certainly is growing, and most of them are initially ENGINEERS, whose talent is in mechanical and software DOING more than talking. I know Jeff has many heavy talents and I like to think I might have a few, but one of the things we both do have, is somewhat a gift of gab and a way of putting things into words perhaps that we like to think make sense (not all agree, as I'm sure we'll hear about). Not all companies have opened up such an area as this forum, as most of you know (and some which abuse), and the time to assign a staff to monitor it would be a pretty heavy burdon. Have you seen such from companies like MicroSoft or Apple, Ford, GM, etc?
Bob

DocWheeler
12-07-2007, 12:09 PM
Bob,

Your input is much appreciated, as is Jeff's and Paul's, concerning this Designer upgrade. I think that many of us were confusing ptn and mpc kind of things and felt that major restrictions were put on us.

The mpw file is something that I did not recognize as a partial solution, still not familiar with it. What I felt limited about was if I had imported a picture into Designer, I could not get anyone to help me with a problem that I was having with that ptn file. Still confused here, could I back this ptn out into something that someone else could edit? Granted that this is an unlikely happening, but I was wondering if it was possible.

Dale in Anaheim
12-07-2007, 12:15 PM
...Have you seen such from companies like Microsoft or Apple, Ford, GM, etc? ...

Bob I appreciate what your trying to say and I commend you and Jeff for your efforts. What I was alluding to with my statements about LHR is that it would have been nice to see some more of those LHR engineers, or designers, or even the managers, step up and respond.

I really don't mean to be argumentative (honest, I am not trying to be) but just to point out a fact; as a mere as a matter of interest to any who might care. Microsoft does actually host quite a large number of forums, at their expense, for the purpose of product support and in addition to the company hosting those forums, many of the Microsoft employees are known to frequent them and participate.

http://forums.microsoft.com/

That having been said, I realize that LHR is not a Microsoft either in scope or scale and I do not expect them to act like MS, Ford, GMC or any other company. In fact, thank God in allot of ways that they don't act like MS. Moreover, whether LHR is like MS or not, is not germane to my point. My point is simply that it would have been nice to get more of a response directly from the folks at LHR who work in the office, behind the curtain, daily, rather than them simply putting most of the burden to respond on you and Jeff ( a couple of volunteers). Whether another company (any other company for that matter) could have, would have, or should have done that, like I said, has nothing to do with my point.

Dale

BobHill
12-07-2007, 12:34 PM
To me, it's the information that's important (if correct, anyway), not who gives it. But the points are given here, in any case .. both sides.

Bob

jlovchik
12-07-2007, 12:43 PM
I'd like to point out that LHR HAS been active in responding to this confusion. Bob and Jeff are absolutely wonderful and articulate in their explanations, so we've let them handle most of this on the forum. Rather than just repeating what they are telling everyone, I monitor the discussions as best I can and step in when and if it is needed. Bob is right, we don't have the staff to man the forum constantly, but we try and keep up with what is being discussed. It is clear that people are just confused for the most part about what has happened, and Bob and Jeff have been doing a good job of clearing up the confusion.

FINGERS
12-07-2007, 03:54 PM
The new software makes my machine run great, fast setup when I load a pattern to carve the only thing I can icth about is the 52 mb download ,with dial-up this would take to long and my internet provider kicks me off after so long, so I'd have to baby sit the long download, It would be nice if CW offer us unfortunate ones who can't get highspeed a program CD for the download, the price we pay for live out in the country is no high-speed or cable TV I had to take my laptop to starbucks to download the upgrade $10.00 for the hook-up and $5.00 for the coffee good-greef but fokes it was worth it to see my machine run this good, sorry to see so many disappointed fokes out there but if you try it I think you'll like it.

Dale in Anaheim
12-07-2007, 04:26 PM
I'd like to point out that LHR HAS been active in responding to this confusion. Bob and Jeff are absolutely wonderful and articulate in their explanations, so we've let them handle most of this on the forum. Rather than just repeating what they are telling everyone, I monitor the discussions as best I can and step in when and if it is needed. Bob is right, we don't have the staff to man the forum constantly, but we try and keep up with what is being discussed. It is clear that people are just confused for the most part about what has happened, and Bob and Jeff have been doing a good job of clearing up the confusion.

jlovchik,

Thanks for the response.

Just a thought and question rolled up into one. Over the course of the past few days a thought occurred to me, more than once. Perhaps if an announcement been made ahead of time regarding these changes. Something indicating what was coming in the next release of the software (release notes). It might have given us (the user community) the opportunity to clear this confusion up amongst ourselves before people had installed the new version and felt slighted by the unexpected results. Would LHR considering posting release notes (perhaps on the web site) prior to the release of any future software versions from now on?

Dale

John Douglas
12-22-2007, 03:16 PM
Please assist. I have attempted to try one of the new pattern files without success. The first problem is deciding where I should save it. When I attempt to open the file, my computer attempts to open it as a coreldraw file. I have tried importing and converting as a corel file, didn't work. I have attempted to open it in Designer, doesn't recognize the ptn file. Anyone have any idea where I am going wrong? Thanks..... John

BobHill
12-22-2007, 03:23 PM
John,

What pattern? Where did you get it, or locate it? What version of Designer are you using?

Bob

Bubbabear
12-22-2007, 03:26 PM
you may need 1.124 or 1.125 if it is one of the newer files from lhr

John Douglas
12-22-2007, 03:27 PM
Bob, The pattern is from the new pattern store, hearts pattern. I was running 1.120, upgraded today and tried it again. same result.

BobHill
12-22-2007, 03:55 PM
John,
At one time the TRY options in the Pattern Depot didn't work, but I just went there and opened the Pattern Depot, chose Animals and the very first Pattern and clicked TRY. It automatically opened the pattern into Designer's Import Image window. From there it'll go into your Pattern library (note that it's in Favorites and in RED, as it's a demo and can't be carved, although you can create what it would look like in a Designer project. Give any of the patterns there a try. If you have current Designer and have it installed, it should be working for you,.

Bob

John Douglas
12-22-2007, 09:44 PM
Bob, Attempted again. Went to the pattern depot page, signed in. Then went to animals and clicked try on the humming birds pattern. Windows asked me if I wanted to run or to save. I clicked on save. It does not automatically go to the Designer program but defaulted to my documents. I saved it to a file I have named CarveWright. In the designer program I clicked on import image and found the file. When I go to the file, it is listed as a GUI. And when I try to import it, it tells me that it is an unrecognized file format. Any further suggestions? Thanks again, John.

Hawg_man
12-23-2007, 05:32 AM
John
Try thia...........open Designer, New Project, Set board size, OK, Cilck Carving, Click Pattern Tool, Right Click Favorites at right side , right Click mouse and import the file from your documents.
Bob

BobHill
12-23-2007, 09:02 AM
John,
As Bob has indicated you have to bring the pattern into your Designer as an import. Remember that Designer can only OPEN Designer files. Perhaps it opens in Image Import for me because I have the Probe (I forgot that). But if you Save it, then you have to bring it into your Designer by way of Favorites, and in order to get the PTN file there, you have to first open a project (new or old) to get the Library icon. Right click Favorites, Import, browse to where you saved the PTN file, and with it's in Favorites, note that it's bounded in a red box (which shows it's use is limited), then drag it into your open project.
Bob

John Douglas
12-23-2007, 10:41 AM
Bob & Hawg Man, You solved the problem. I was trying to import using file, import. That didn't work but when I imported from the pattern box, it did. Appreciate the assistance. John

BobHill
12-23-2007, 11:08 AM
Glad to see that it worked out for you, John.
Bob