PDA

View Full Version : Locating Carving On Sled

Hawg_man
11-29-2007, 10:20 AM
I have made a sled to hold a 10 1/2" round disk centered on the sled (disk is not flat on the top surface to be carved).........I know to put tape over the top so when measuring it does not detect the edge of the disk but how do you place it when it goes to touch the surface prior to carving and and if I manual jog to carve is the location to the center of the pattern or to the edge of the pattern to start the carve?

Bob

DocWheeler
11-29-2007, 12:08 PM
Bob,

Let me add a couple of things that I've learned, perhaps they will help.
If you are going to make more than one of this particular piece, I would create a special sled for that purpose as you have.
What I have found successful is to create the sled, say 18" X 13" from plywood with a layer of material on it approxomately the thickness of the carving material. this added material, usually plywood, could be several pieces of scrap or one whole piece. I cut a hole about the size of the of the piece I'm about to carve in this top layor, but ABOUT 1/2" SMALLER.
I then create am mpc of the sled with a route that will create the exact size of the hole that I want in the sled and let the machine POSITION and cut that out for me.
I usually tell the machine to place it on the end although placing it in the center would also work, just make sure that you always make that same choise in the future for that sled.

Make sure that you mark one corner of your sled so that you always position it the same way on each use.

Fasten side rails on the top of the sled, you can use thin cellophane tape here, if the carve piece is higher than the top of your sled. And, if these side rails are higher than about 1/4", it helps if you also attach some material to the top of the ends of the sled for the sensor to see more precisely.

As for the "jog to touch", I press "0", set to "best", press Stop, then up/down keys to Jog to Touch and set to Yes. Now when the program gets to the "find-surface" part it asks you to position the bit.

If you do it this way, any same-size/shape carving you create with an 18" X 13" board in designer will work on that sled.

I hope that this helps, others may have found a better way - I'm not there yet.

liquidguitars
11-29-2007, 12:19 PM
I know to put tape over the top so when measuring it does not detect the edge of the disk

I have designed some new selds that you do not need tape anymore :D
the CW sensor just needs to hit the small side the sled to index, saved a ton of taping work!

LP

mtylerfl
11-29-2007, 10:10 PM
I have designed some new selds that you do not need tape anymore :D
the CW sensor just needs to hit the small side the sled to index, saved a ton of taping work!

LP

Hello LP,

Do you have any photos of your new sleds?