PDA

View Full Version : Close Cover Error

Kenm810
11-29-2007, 07:27 AM
Hey All,

Close Cover Error, sound familiar --oh ya, yep it happen in the middle of a carving -- (Nuts).
So I open and closed the lid a couple of times and it finished the project.

A few minutes later I set up another project to be carved and (Nuts again)
The error came up before I could even start it.

So I listened, and I could hear the switch klicking on and off but still no go.
The wires all appeared to be well seated, but just in case I briefly bypassed the switch and the close cover error Vanished.
So it was the switch after all, I thought of how much of a pain in the B---
it is the remove the switch and wait for a new one and then reinstall it.
So I thought some more, what if it was the contacts or dust inside the switch, I went and got my trusty CRC spray and shot a drop into the switch at the little push button slot, And wonder of wonders -- I saw back to carving in two minutes.
I certainly can't say it will work for everyone, but it did for me.
I'm not trying to get anyones hopes up, but I think it's worth a shot, it couldn't hurt.

· Instantly removes grease, oil, dirt
· High purity formula evaporates rapidly
· Non conductive, non- corrosive, no flash point
· Helps prevent contact failure
· Electrical grade

wodwerking
12-03-2007, 10:38 PM
OK Ken

I've had my machine just under 2 weeks. I've been unable to use it for about 5 days because I broke both of the bits that came with the machine and just got the new bits today.

So I go and plug in the machine to start it up again........ and I get a "close cover" message and guess what. The cover was closed.

I can hear the switch clicking, but have not yet located the switch. I had to go with my wife and run some errands at that point in time.

But maybe you can save me a couple of Mins by telling me where the switch is

Ron

Wodwerking

TIMCOSBY
12-04-2007, 03:07 AM
you can see the little tabs that push them on the cover on each side. the right one is the cut motor switch. the left one is the cover switch. try tightening the two screws that hold them in they are underneath the switchs. worked for me.

TIMCOSBY
12-04-2007, 03:10 AM
your gunna break these too unless you found out what was causing it. bits should last a long long time.

Kenm810
12-04-2007, 08:23 AM
Sorry Ron,

I just saw your post, Looks like TIMCOSBY, got you covered.

wodwerking
12-04-2007, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the info on the switch(es) location. I wouldn't have guessed there would be two.

As for the broken bits, I have ( I think, I hope, I pray) found the solution to that on another troubleshooting topic, that of broken bits.

Thanks

Ron

wodwerking

TIMCOSBY
12-05-2007, 12:14 AM
causing the breakage so i don't do it sometime. i've carved a lot and can't see where i could break anything but i haven't done anything with the special bits like the ogee and jointing, etc.

edgarcia28
12-05-2007, 11:32 AM
I'm also getting the "Close Cover Error"
I have gone thru the "Check The Machine's Onboard Sensors "Checking The Machine’s Onboard Sensors
The status of each of the machine’s onboard sensors can be accessed from the LCD
screen and keypad for the purpose of troubleshooting. To access the Sensor Check
menu simply select the “0” (Options) key at the CarveWright Main Menu or use the
up/down arrows to locate the Configurations Menu and then press ENTER. Next,
select the “7” (Measure) key or use the up/down arrows to locate the Sensor Check
menu and then press ENTER. Navigate through the different sensors and associated
status values using the up/down arrows.

and the cover work fine...(the switches working )
The machine will start and as it touches the wood ..it's stops with error "Close Cover Error".....

what to do next?????

ed.

Kenm810
12-05-2007, 12:02 PM
Hey Ed,

One suggestion,

It's possible that the switch has slipped back a fraction of an inch and needs to be moved forward and tightened.
I found that if I held my hand on the lid my machine would run
as soon as I lifted my hand and it was allow to vibrate I would get a close cover error.
I adjusted the switch and the error stopped

Jeff_Birt
12-05-2007, 01:08 PM
Ed, that can be a sign of an intermittent short circuit in the little circuit board that is located in the Z-truck. CW has redesigned the workings of that section of the machine the board is actually no longer needed if you are using firmware version 1.120 or higher. CW has recommended that the small ribbon cable, (about 3/8" wide) that runs from the truck to the little connector board under the Z-motor, can just be disconnected at the little circuit board. This cable also carries the probe connection so if you have a probe CW will send you a new wire to hook it up in a different location.

edgarcia28
12-06-2007, 08:09 AM
Ed, that can be a sign of an intermittent short circuit in the little circuit board that is located in the Z-truck. CW has redesigned the workings of that section of the machine the board is actually no longer needed if you are using firmware version 1.120 or higher. CW has recommended that the small ribbon cable, (about 3/8" wide) that runs from the truck to the little connector board under the Z-motor, can just be disconnected at the little circuit board. This cable also carries the probe connection so if you have a probe CW will send you a new wire to hook it up in a different location.

thanks for the info..I'll try it...

Ed.

edgarcia28
12-06-2007, 08:38 PM
Has this happen to anyone? and if I reboot the machine,
will it complete my project? or the 2 hours of craving and nice oak wood go to waste?:(

Ed

DocWheeler
12-07-2007, 07:38 AM
Ed,

You can save your wood and carving. It is not guaranteed, but I have done it.
In Designer, save your project as a different name, add a carve region to this new project that covers almost all of the area that has been carved and set the depth to zero (0).
Restart the carve and the bit will remain keypad-side until it gets past that zero carve area, and then it will complete the carving.

A couple of things that are necessary:
(1). Make sure that the bit measures the top surface at an area that was the "original" top of the board.
(2). Start the carve exactly as you did the first time; like place on end or center, etc.

edgarcia28
12-07-2007, 06:15 PM
:p thanks, it work...I was able to complete my project...
Ed.

Ed,

You can save your wood and carving. It is not guaranteed, but I have done it.
In Designer, save your project as a different name, add a carve region to this new project that covers almost all of the area that has been carved and set the depth to zero (0).
Restart the carve and the bit will remain keypad-side until it gets past that zero carve area, and then it will completet the carving.

A couple of things that are necessary:
(1). Make sure that the bit measures the top surface at an area that was the "oroginal" top of the board.
(2). Start the carve exactly as you did the first time; like place on end or center, etc.

Mikewiz
12-07-2007, 06:44 PM
Hey Ken,

I had the same problem, a couple of weeks ago. Called LHR and the tech had me take the switch apart, And I found a lot of dust on the inside. Cleaned the switch no more close cover problem anymore. Also don't worry about taking the switch apart, there are no springs that jump out. The spring is sodiered in place. Hope this helps.

Mikewiz

Digitalwoodshop
12-07-2007, 10:04 PM
Since we are on the Closed Cover Error.... This might help someone later when they search. Putting my cover back on tonight I got the left lid switch wires caught behind the metal where the cut motor cable comes out and between the plastic lid. I see where it could cut the wires if you were not careful. A open or broken wire in that cable could cause you problems with a close cover error or probe data at a later date.

Good Luck,

AL

Kenm810
12-08-2007, 08:59 AM
Hey Mikewiz,

I saw the soldered wire connections, and one was holding on by one strand
of wire which quickly snapped while I was checking and cleaning the actuater button.
I added an extra inch or two of wire to each external terminal to give me a little more slack,
and the switch works fine now. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

Bubbabear
12-11-2007, 09:32 PM
My close cover switch went out sunday. Found a industrial supply house had exact replacement switch $4.00. Gotta love it beat the devil out of waiting aweek for it to get her on turtle express from texas