PDA

View Full Version : Cast Acrylic sculpting

DRL
11-28-2007, 09:32 AM
I would appreciate any advice/feedback on working with machineable cast acrylic & plexiglass sheets. In particular how deep these machines will cut into material without heat problems. Also if chipping is a problem and if smooth edges are achievable.

thank you
I'm new around here but greatly respect the intelligent posts read so far.

Ron
11-28-2007, 04:14 PM
I have done work in cast acrylic If youre doing text I would advise just scorring the surface
that I do on the back side it looks much better if you have the engraving on the back that way the front is smooth to the touch and looks much better.Havent had any problems with chipping.Havent tried plexiglass.Hope this helps

DRL
11-28-2007, 05:40 PM
Ron
Thanks! Can you tell me what depth you were working to and the thickness of material?

Ron
11-28-2007, 06:09 PM
if I remember right when i would do texe i thought it was about .010.I you set it there and
manuever it around and see if you can see on the board

Ron
11-28-2007, 06:10 PM
the thickness was 1/4 in it was put on a sled

edgarcia28
11-29-2007, 09:02 PM
Importing photographs and carving them into semi-transparent plastic with backlighting creates a very interesting photographic effect (see the website Results page). how , where, do you fine these Suitable plastics include polycarbonate or cast acrylic. And do need a sled to complete.has any one done this ,,,do you mine shareing.....
Thanks,
ED

Ron
11-30-2007, 05:14 AM
I havent carved pics,mainly text signs.There are different colored cast acrylic pieces usually I buy flouresent green.Before I had a sled i would cut a piece of particle board 3/4" the same size as the piece and use double faced tape, on each end and one in the middle. Leave paper on plastic on the side against the board ,then just pull them a part when i was done