PDA

View Full Version : What kind of Wood??

Norman
11-27-2007, 06:14 PM
We have had problems with the machine for months now plus I have had 4 operations on my legs so my time with the machine has been limited. I have finally got the thing running I think but not great!! We have the new 121 z thing and don't know what kind of wood is best to use in carving wood signs. The pine is not that clean and wanted to know if there is a better kind of wood to use. Is there something at Lowes or Home Depot that we can use. We have made and sold sings before the new z thing and the machine ran great then went down the tubes. It took a long time to do this z thing but think it is OK now! We are praying it works for us as we have orders for 4 signs and need to get them done yesterday!!

Hopefully I will be back working at Lowes in two weeks so let me know about what wood to use.
Thanks Loads Guys and Gals
Norman:

TurkeyBranch
11-27-2007, 06:48 PM
I use a lot of popular. I get it at home depot. Clear grain and doesn't "fuzz" as much as the pine

Ed

mcanelly
11-27-2007, 08:35 PM
I have used alot of poplar and that works great for signs, but I have been using hemlock for the last couple hundred signs and they turn out great. They have some really nice grain patterns as well. I get it from Lowes, but I live in Alaska. (Not sure if they carry it in the lower 48 states)
Good luck on your signs.

Norman
11-27-2007, 09:26 PM
Thanks guys this is great and we do have the poplar at work and will try the hemlock if I can find that here. I just wanted to make sure that I am using the right wood!! With the problems we hav ehad with the machine I didn't want anything else to go wrong. I hav enot been able to get back to this for a while but your all great as far as helping goes.
Here is to our new signs!!!
Norm from Lowes

Dan-Woodman
11-27-2007, 09:37 PM
Norm
I just finished a sign made from cedar from Lowe's.
It was 2 x 6 which I jlued together with Tightbond 111 waterproof glue, to make a finished board that was 10 x 24. The lettering carved better than the carved pattern which was about like pine.

later Daniel

bizbiki
11-28-2007, 09:22 AM
Norm.

I too have had very good luck carving on Cedar. What I do is to buy some inexpensive fence pickets and just run them though a planner on both sides. They clean up really well.

I guess if they seem too thin you could always laminate two together.

Louie

Kenm810
11-28-2007, 10:11 AM
I've used the cedar fence pickets the way you described
for several small signs this year, they do glue up fine, if you need to.http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

jspringertx
11-28-2007, 02:50 PM
I have had very good luck with cedar fence boards. They make great signs with or without the centerline font. I carve them without planing and they really do well.
I like them as they are cheap and soft..easy to cut.

I will try the glueing idea.