PDA

View Full Version : check board error revisted

dragoncarver
11-25-2007, 05:51 PM
i am sure you have all seen the check board error message. i replaced my drive belt because of this error and keep the belts clean. now it is back with vengance i took the cover off the gears remaved the side panel and CLEANED IT OUT! i now beleive that one of the nylon gears is touching the metal gear. to test this theory the next time i got a check board i took the cover off pushed on the gear slightly with my finger replaced the cover and it worked now the problem is it keeps doing it i am going to call LHR and see if something needs to be replaced. has anyone had this problem ? i have read post where people replaced gears but i do not see why except for broken teeth. i do not see any broken teeth on my machine :confused:

Digitalwoodshop
11-25-2007, 07:26 PM
Sounds like a broken tooth on the gear and the broken piece is like a speed bump stuck in another tooth.

AL

dragoncarver
11-25-2007, 08:28 PM
i did not see any broken teeth is it possible for the nylon gear to bind against the metal gear

dragoncarver
11-26-2007, 01:33 PM
i called LHR they said it was board semsor to clean it. i did . it did not fix the problem now to try and get them on the phone again :mad:

Jeff_Birt
11-26-2007, 01:42 PM
What readings are you getting from your board sensor?

dragoncarver
11-26-2007, 02:00 PM
150 - 153 on the board 0-3 off the board

Jeff_Birt
11-26-2007, 02:13 PM
Is it spitting the board out of the machine? And, have you checked the down pressure?

dragoncarver
11-26-2007, 02:47 PM
no not spitting the board out i get "check board problem" thru each step i press the any key go pack to project menu select project this goes on till i have went thru each step once it gets to inserting a bit it is fine and carves fine but if it is a 2 sided project and i get this message on the 2d side i have to start from the begining i am taking the project that i have one side finished on go into designer erase one side i hope i can jog it to position to cut the 2d side i replaced the drive belts recently i clened and lubed the gears i do not see any broken teeth although i beleive the gear has about a hairs play in it i do not know if this is normal or not

Digitalwoodshop
11-26-2007, 06:35 PM
I just changed my belts yesterday and found the first project today I had the stuttering movement of the board for the first time. Found that my down pressure was too tight.... Try backing off slightly but monitor the compressed on sensor data when you put the board in. It was damp too that might have caused the back of the belt stick to the metal tray.

Something else you might try, putting a strip of 1 inch masking tape all the way down the board edge to give the board sensor a nice smooth path to follow. A board foot of masking tape is always cheaper than a board foot of wood.

Make sure you right side guide is square, with 2 screws it can twist.

Good Luck,

AL

dragoncarver
11-27-2007, 12:27 PM
after speaking to 4 different machine techs and 2 software techs then machine teck superviser the problem was the sanding belt had rolled up slightly on front far left belt the belt was touching the brass wheel when fully compressed (but not all the time) and lifting the board off of the brass wheel (but not all the time ) causing 2 error messages at the same time i had to look under the plate on the left to see the fold. i actually noticed some wear on the belt i asked the tech about it and that is when he said to check and see if the belt was running off and yes it was very glad that it was something so simple i took the belt off and turned it around problem solved :D

JOHNB
11-27-2007, 08:26 PM
check your belts daily. i take them out and adjust mine about every 10-15 hours? might have something to do with the down pressure?

dragoncarver
11-28-2007, 10:17 AM
the tech said that some of the belts are slightly smaller on one end and this causes them to creep

PsalteryDreams
11-29-2007, 10:12 PM
I have been having check board problems since I took my Compucarve out of its box. Today I haven't been able to carve at all. My board edge sensor is reading 152 on a board and about 25 with my hand. I check the down pressure with a scale every time before I load a board. Today I worked on the input and output trays and when that didn't work I took the belt off and adjusted them. I still am getting a check board error. I have also squared the boards lately with a table saw and a miter saw the only thing I cannot do is plane them (no plane). Is there anything else I can try to get this to work? When I measure the board with 7 in the menu it is spot on for length and width. Most of the boards I am using are new pine boards from Home Depot over 15" long

Digitalwoodshop
11-29-2007, 10:27 PM
You are doing all the right things. Add making sure the board guide is 1/8 inch away from the board edge. Had a staple in the side of a board stall my x drive the other day, catching on the board guide.

Also take your fingers and touch the gap in the keyboard side of the board with every load. Sometimes I find the front of the board 1/8 of an inch away in the front but snug in the back. That makes a difference, could cause the belts to roll up and the board to bind.

Make both gaps snug and check it every board. That will save you grief.... Plus add masking tape to the brass roller area of the board for a better tracking and no stepping.

Good Luck,

AL

PsalteryDreams
11-30-2007, 04:44 PM
Tried a new board with tape and the 1/8 inch offset and still no go. I have no clue what to check next.

PsalteryDreams
11-30-2007, 05:13 PM
Just removed sandpaper again and checked the plastic gears no missing teeth i am really confused as to why it is doing this. LHR isn't answering the phones started calling at 4pm central all I get is the answer machine.

Kenm810
11-30-2007, 06:36 PM
I talked to the techs at LHR twice this after noon,
first at 1:30 and then again at close to 3:00 pm.
They are answering the phones, just a lot of hold time involved.
I just keep alternating between the different phone numbers. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_cool.gif

highway
01-14-2008, 04:54 PM
I too am having check board errors, less than .5 hrs on the CW and no rhyme or reason I can see. Have cleaned and done all the things you have done plus jointed, planed and sqaured the board. As you said, using the menu #7, the board measures fine. Keep up the postings to see if there is an answer. (It would be nice to see an error code that was more specific.)
Highway

highway
01-14-2008, 06:40 PM
I have been having check board problems since I took my Compucarve out of its box. Today I haven't been able to carve at all. My board edge sensor is reading 152 on a board and about 25 with my hand. I check the down pressure with a scale every time before I load a board. Today I worked on the input and output trays and when that didn't work I took the belt off and adjusted them. I still am getting a check board error. I have also squared the boards lately with a table saw and a miter saw the only thing I cannot do is plane them (no plane). Is there anything else I can try to get this to work? When I measure the board with 7 in the menu it is spot on for length and width. Most of the boards I am using are new pine boards from Home Depot over 15" long

Having the same problem. Did you find a solution ???
Highway

larry711
01-20-2008, 11:41 AM
after 8 hours of use my sensor can no longer see my board. i did the trouble shooting things. it says cover switch closed. and it is sunday cant call to get it up and running till tuesday holiday monday. any ideas?

larry711
01-20-2008, 02:46 PM
it seeme everyone is having the same problem does anyone have an answer? or is this somthing crave wright needs to solve?

larry711
01-20-2008, 02:46 PM
it seeme everyone is having the same problem does anyone have an answer? or is this somthing carve wright needs to solve?

Jeff_Birt
01-20-2008, 03:43 PM
Larry, by your description one cannot tell WHAT sensor you are referring to. What EXACTLY is you machine doing and saying (on the LCD screen). If you can provide some more information perhaps someone can help.

larry711
01-20-2008, 04:23 PM
Larry, by your description one cannot tell WHAT sensor you are referring to. What EXACTLY is you machine doing and saying (on the LCD screen). If you can provide some more information perhaps someone can help.

it is doing a few things first it was saying load board, i cleand everrything real good and tried again then i started getting error code 400 so i checked the presure on the rollers 50 pounds if my scales are rite i greasd it up tried again same results. i have done everything the book said to do and still get error code 400

Jeff_Birt
01-20-2008, 04:34 PM
If you only have #50 of pressure your board sensor will not work right as it will not be focused properly on the board. What did you grease up? (I'm not being mean or dense, but it is VERY easy to not communicate properly on a forum like this. It helps to be explicit.)

If your shop is cold you may not be able to get the correct down pressure as the bushings on the vertical guide rails will have shrunk down creating too much friction. (The board sensor will not work right at temperatures below 40 deg. F either, due to the temp characteristics of the photodiodes/detector) I think CW is recommending temps over 50 degrees F, I try to get up around 55 myself (more comfortable for me too).