PDA

View Full Version : Temperature Sensitivity

Artist
11-25-2007, 02:03 PM
I don't own this machine yet...but I'm getting close to buying one. Just gathering the facts right now so I can plan. Does anyone have their machine set-up in a workshop, storage shed, etc. that is NOT climate controlled? Are you having any problems with the machine; for example, in the summer when its 95 degrees outside. Or, during the winter when its around freezing?

Just trying to figure out if it needs to be pampered.

pkunk
11-25-2007, 02:17 PM
95° won't bother it but below 55° will. Keep it warm & happy, like a woman.:p

Lin
11-25-2007, 02:59 PM
I live in Michigan and have my all my woodworking tools in my garage. It is not climate controlled. I used a kerosene turbo heater to warm it up in the winter months before I go out to play with my "Toys". The CW is not left out in the garage with the rest of my tools...I warm up the garage to above 55 degrees before taking it out to its downdraft table for a day of carving. And I keep the temp above 55 while its out in my garage. When I'm done carving for the day I bring it back inside my house after a good clean up and it stays nice and warm in the house till the next time I want to carve something...I generally set up several projects to do in a day...So far this has worked well for me. I set it up on my kithcen table inside the house now that its so cold outside when I scan something with the probe...easier and cheaper to do than to heat the shop up for it...
Lin

Digitalwoodshop
11-25-2007, 04:14 PM
You need to be concerned about moisture in a cold environment. The other cold wet day the shop had a damp feel to it. I fired up the heat and later ran the dust collector through the machine to circulate the heat and remove any moisture. Moisture would kill the computer. The grease on the x, y, and z motor gear boxes won't like the cold.

AL

rjustice
11-25-2007, 04:28 PM
I have also had problems with a cold machine. The head doesnt want to ratchet down correctly, probably due to thermal expansion. The down pressure on the rollers is very light, but once the room warms up, all is good... I like the idea of keeping it indoors if you have the room, it would definately keep the machine from gathering condensation as others mentioned.

My 2 cents...

Ron

dragoncarver
11-25-2007, 05:23 PM
pampered more like put on pedestal and worshiped but hey it does wonderful things

Kenm810
11-25-2007, 05:26 PM
These machines Do Not require a blood sacrifice when operating or cleaning them.
A repeat of an earlier post.

How easily and quickly we forget,
We Have to be careful working around these carving and routing bits, (Their often Pointy and Extremely Sharp)
But most of us have to learn the hard way. I did, a couple of times http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_confused.gif
Putting a short piece of ¼” vinyl tubing as a sleeve on the bit when it’s not carving can protect the bit and your fingers.

Artist
11-25-2007, 06:31 PM
Appreciate all the info about temperature. I guess I'll have to find in the budget somehow to "buy it" a climate control place of honor.

Until that time comes...I'll just put it on one of my "fauxed pedestals" during the winter months.

jgowrie
11-06-2009, 05:28 PM
Well my machine arrived yesterday and we've got temps in the low 40's today. Right away, the machine head pressure test produced a failure and then it wouldn't crank back down. I see now it's probably due to the temperature.

I haven't run it yet. I'm being patient and reading the manual tonight and plan on firing it up tomorrow when it's supposed to reach the upper 50's low 60's.

This thread did seem to answer the question I was searching which concerned people storing their machines in non-climate controlled environments. I spoke with a tech at carvewright today and he said it would be fine to store my machine in the garage and let it come up to temp before working on it. I too heat the shop only when I'm out there. Not fortunate enough to have a nice toasty indoor shop :(

I'm actually kinda of surprised that the tech didn't think to mention the condensation issues ( which I did think about and confirmed as a potential problem after reading this thread ).

I'm not crazy about the transporting back and forth between the house and shop idea so I guess I'll have to find a corner of the basement - the farthest corner from where the wife watches TV above - and set up a work area. I still don't have a gauge for how loud it gets but I imagine I'll need to frame a small room which can be sound proofed to avoid the complaining which I anticipate :mrgreen:

Kenm810
11-06-2009, 05:50 PM
jgowrie,

It's been mentioned a few times on the forum before, if you do set to carve in the basement, or the like.
Please remember if you have a forced air heating or cooling system, you may want to up-grade the filters on your furnace.
Any make-up air vents in basement or on the furnace itself can pickup any fine carving dust in the air and distribute it through
the entire house, kitchen, bedrooms, or kids rooms.
So be sure to control the dust from the Machine the best you can just to be on the safe side. http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

Ike
11-06-2009, 08:03 PM
Another trick I use is a hair dryer to warm the inside of the machine. Once it is warm you can run it all day with temps in the 50's. Well at least it has for me, if you have any kerosen heaters put one or two in the garage and it is a cheap way to warm up your working area.

Ike

Bowengg
11-06-2009, 08:13 PM
I use an LP forced air heater in my garage. Gets it nice and toasty in about 30 minutes.:wink:

TerryT
11-06-2009, 08:17 PM
For over two years I have used my machine summer and winter in my unheated garage. In the winter I use a diesel fuel heater and turn on the dust collection. This draws the warm air through the machine. Warms it and dries it. During the summer I just open the doors to get a breeze blowing through. No problems in two and a half years.

roughcut
11-06-2009, 11:33 PM
Well my machine arrived yesterday and we've got temps in the low 40's today. Right away, the machine head pressure test produced a failure and then it wouldn't crank back down. I see now it's probably due to the temperature.

I haven't run it yet. I'm being patient and reading the manual tonight and plan on firing it up tomorrow when it's supposed to reach the upper 50's low 60's.

This thread did seem to answer the question I was searching which concerned people storing their machines in non-climate controlled environments. I spoke with a tech at carvewright today and he said it would be fine to store my machine in the garage and let it come up to temp before working on it. I too heat the shop only when I'm out there. Not fortunate enough to have a nice toasty indoor shop :(

I'm actually kinda of surprised that the tech didn't think to mention the condensation issues ( which I did think about and confirmed as a potential problem after reading this thread ).

I'm not crazy about the transporting back and forth between the house and shop idea so I guess I'll have to find a corner of the basement - the farthest corner from where the wife watches TV above - and set up a work area. I still don't have a gauge for how loud it gets but I imagine I'll need to frame a small room which can be sound proofed to avoid the complaining which I anticipate :mrgreen:

You could build a box out of insulation board and put a small light bulb inside that should keep your CW warm and dry through those cold nights..just a thought. Thats how I keep my pump from freezing on those nights that it does get below freezing here in Florida.And yes it does get cold in Florida it just doesn't stay cold..

jgowrie
11-07-2009, 06:56 AM
jgowrie,

It's been mentioned a few times on the forum before, if you do set to carve in the basement, or the like.
Please remember if you have a forced air heating or cooling system, you may want to up-grade the filters on your furnace.
Any make-up air vents in basement or on the furnace itself can pickup any fine carving dust in the air and distribute it through
the entire house, kitchen, bedrooms, or kids rooms.
So be sure to control the dust from the Machine the best you can just to be on the safe side. http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

No worry's here as have hot-water heat, but I do figure the dust will need to be managed properly which is another reason I would frame a small room and add a shop vac for dust collection. The basement is currently where I do my finishing work so dust would be very bad ;)

jgowrie
11-07-2009, 07:17 AM
Another trick I use is a hair dryer to warm the inside of the machine. Once it is warm you can run it all day with temps in the 50's. Well at least it has for me, if you have any kerosen heaters put one or two in the garage and it is a cheap way to warm up your working area.

Ike
Ike, thanks for the tip. I'll be using this one today as it actually dipped down to high 20's last night. Today is the day I plan on firing up the machine and running some tutorials.

I use an LP forced air heater in my garage. Gets it nice and toasty in about 30 minutes.:wink:

I use a radiant LP heater which has served me well in past winters but I might upgrade to the forced air type so I can leave it outside and run some ductwork through the wall.

For over two years I have used my machine summer and winter in my unheated garage. In the winter I use a diesel fuel heater and turn on the dust collection. This draws the warm air through the machine. Warms it and dries it. During the summer I just open the doors to get a breeze blowing through. No problems in two and a half years.

This is the most interesting reply because you're situation is like mine. I really want to avoid having the bring the machine in the house because I just know my spouse will not appreciate the noise. It's also more convenient to have the machine out with the rest of my shop tools. So no problems with condensation and such. I guess the key is to just give the machine the time it needs to warm up before plugging her in?

How cold does it get during the winter where you are? We are good for a couple spells of 10-15 degrees at night in N.Y. and that is the time I'd be nervous to leave the machine outside.

You could build a box out of insulation board and put a small light bulb inside that should keep your CW warm and dry through those cold nights..just a thought. Thats how I keep my pump from freezing on those nights that it does get below freezing here in Florida.And yes it does get cold in Florida it just doesn't stay cold..

Maybe this idea would help me on those really cold nights. Maybe a electric blanket instead of the bulb? Then I don't have to worry about the bulb burning out cause when it gets down to 10 degrees not even I work properly in the shop ;) so I tend to stay in doors till things warm up a bit

TerryT
11-07-2009, 08:40 AM
This is the most interesting reply because you're situation is like mine. I really want to avoid having the bring the machine in the house because I just know my spouse will not appreciate the noise. It's also more convenient to have the machine out with the rest of my shop tools. So no problems with condensation and such. I guess the key is to just give the machine the time it needs to warm up before plugging her in?

How cold does it get during the winter where you are? We are good for a couple spells of 10-15 degrees at night in N.Y. and that is the time I'd be nervous to leave the machine outside.

Generally we are in the 18 to 30 range most of the winter. 20 below happens once in a while but usually only stays for 2 or 3 days.

My heater warms the shop pretty quickly. I run the dust collector to draw warm air through the machine for 10 minutes or so before using it.

Chief
11-08-2009, 09:40 PM

I'm diabetic and my doctor says I have to keep my feet warm. However, I have 2 computers in my computer room and they generate a lot of heat so I usually have a window open, how much depends on the direction the wind is blowing. To keep my feet warm, I have a warming pad. It came with a 2-level switch so that I can crank it up if I need the heat. Because of the weight of the CC, I wouldn't place it directly on the pad but a piece of plywood aerated with a lot of holes would keep it warm at minimal cost. The important thing is to have the frame holding the plywood up doesn't rest on the pad. Just make it slightly oversized. Of course it's going to need to be housed in a small structure. You may find that you actually have to drill a few holes to regulate the heat needed, depending on the temp of your garage. Now, one last thing to consider.... you don't want to keep the pad underneath the CW while it's carving unless you just love vacuuming.

Chief