PDA

View Full Version : carving problem please help

bizbiki
11-25-2007, 12:28 PM
I have recently purchased the complete carving bit set and have gotten my first project set up. When I am promptd to load the correct bit (a 3/16 og in this case) I keep getting propted to load the SAME bit over and over and over again. I have recently replace the rpm chip and have not used the machine since. Any ideas or fixes, (I'm trying to get out a few intialized cutting boards for the holidays.

thanks
Louie

pkunk
11-25-2007, 01:07 PM
A little more info needed. Does the loaded bit move over to the bit arm? Does the bit arm come out all the way so the bit can touch it?

JOHNB
11-25-2007, 01:09 PM
louie; sounds like it's not hitting the swing out bit finder?

bizbiki
11-25-2007, 01:14 PM
thebit does move over to the bit arm but does not come down and contact it

bizbiki
11-25-2007, 01:22 PM
I just checked it again, the bit arm does not swing out to concact the bit

thanks for any and all help

Louie

TurkeyBranch
11-25-2007, 01:24 PM
Mine did that, I had the wrong bit in. Once I put in the right one it went down far enough.

But is your bit plate coming out? and the bit just won't go down that far?

Ed

JOHNB
11-25-2007, 01:25 PM
does the bit go down looking for it?

bizbiki
11-25-2007, 01:42 PM
Yes it does

bizbiki
11-25-2007, 01:45 PM
the bit does go down as if to look for the plate but the plate does not swing out to meet it

Digitalwoodshop
11-25-2007, 01:50 PM
When you replaced the top cover you did not position the Cut Motor Cable in the sweet spot in the corner. Betting the Z Motor fins are hitting the cable and stopping the Y Travel to the bit plate swing out area. Just open the cover and look. With power off push the head right and watch it hit the cable.

AL

bizbiki
11-25-2007, 02:18 PM
Al, JohnB, and pkunk,

Thank you for your help. I finally got to the root of the problem, (as in most cases it was operator error). When I replace the z chip (rpm controller) I did not replace the cable in its sweet spot. Therefore the cable was interfering with the ability of the z truck to get all the way over to the right in order for the arm to swing out.

As I sit here typing this I can hear the sound of my cc working.....as the sweet smell of sawdust

Thank you everyone for your help

Louie

PS

Al were you in my shop while I was on the computer? lol. How could you possibly know about the cable?

Digitalwoodshop
11-25-2007, 03:44 PM
I have done the same with the cable so I took the hint that you had just removed the cover to replace the Cut Motor chip.

In my Navy days as a Mobile Troubleshooter, we had a saying "Go where sailors have been". You walk aboard a ship and the Technician tells you his Radar will not track. You go look and sure enough it's broke. Then you ask.... What did you do before it would not track? They would respond, "O' we did maintenance and adjusted all the power supplies". Then you would know where to look. They had adjusted them wrong.... Or left a plug or wire off.

AL

bizbiki
11-25-2007, 06:14 PM
Al
thanks, I could have easily spent the next several evening figuring that one out (at best).

Louie