PDA

View Full Version : Uneven Carving

alnalley
11-25-2007, 11:46 AM
I started to carve type on a wide board, and the type at one end is deeper than the other. This happens across the width, not length. Any suggestions?:confused:

liquidguitars
11-25-2007, 11:55 AM
WARNING! Make sure your carving bit is not loose in the bit adapter! also if your wood in uneven it will carve flat to the bottom of the cut, showing more wood to one side.

LG

pkunk
11-25-2007, 12:15 PM
I started to carve type on a wide board, and the type at one end is deeper than the other. This happens across the width, not length. Any suggestions?:confused:
If the board is a different thickness from one side to another or is not dead flat this will happen. Most of these problems are the wood. The CW will only work as designed with perfect wood.

alnalley
11-25-2007, 03:20 PM
Thanks for those replies, but the board has been planed prior to use. Is there an adjustment for the head.

Digitalwoodshop
11-25-2007, 03:34 PM
Is the board long enough? Is it popping up?

You can select BOLD to make deeper text.

AL

alnalley
11-25-2007, 03:42 PM
Board is 24" long so it is not too short. It is not popping up or out when carving. Regardless of what font, bold or not, it still carves deeper on one side then the other. Any other suggestions?

Jeff_Birt
11-25-2007, 03:45 PM
Yes, the head can be leveled. Crank the head nearly all the way up until it is close to the 'flat' spots on the top of the vertical guide posts. Measure from the top of the head to the flat spots on the guide posts it should be even all the way around.

Digitalwoodshop
11-25-2007, 03:57 PM
I had a script font that just would not carve right..... Could be the font or to check the level of your system make a box in designer say 2 inches x 1 inch less than the width of your board.

Select Bit and select the 1/8 inch cutting bit and on the same window type in a depth of .20 or a desired depth. Set it to carving, it should outline the box at .20

That will tell you the condition of your alignment and weather it is a bad font.

Let us know.

AL

alnalley
11-25-2007, 04:33 PM
With less than forty hours on the machine, I have had so many problems and am completely frustrated. It started with a broken sandpaper belt, then adjusting head pressure, then broken stage 2 gear, then the carve head wouldn't calibrate on the far side of the machine, then wouldn't carve evenly, and now after trying to fix that, the carve head completely blew apart and I have a broken 60 degree bit. Really disappointed, and frustrated. Can anyone help me?:sad: