PDA

View Full Version : Hello, I'm a new CW owner

Gallaher
11-25-2007, 04:50 AM
I've seen the CW advertised for around $2000 at Sears for almost a year now. The commercial showed some great carvings. $2000 was just a little high for a tool that I wasn't planning on using every day (like my computer).
I wanted to do some custom cabinets and figured it might pay for itself in the savings of doing the panels and trim myself. When it went on sale for $1519.99 and Sears offered to knock another 10% off for getting a Sears card, I had to try it out for $1450.00 (including tax).

I must say reading these forums has me very nervous. I did not realize how many problems this equipment had before I ordered it. $1500 is still quite a bit of money for me. I now wandering if this thing can make 8 to 12 foot sections of custom trim or hold up to making 24 cabinet panels.

It is at Sears now and I pick it up tomorrow. By the way it is described in some of the forums this can not be used out of the box. Great care must be taken in lubing some of the parts and even then some parts may just fall off.

I hope I can get $1500 of work out of this thing.

:confused:

TurkeyBranch
11-25-2007, 07:59 AM
Hello and welcome Gallher,

Glad to have you with us! :D I am sure you will enjoy your new machine.
I took mine out of the box and started using in like 60 minutes. Had to load the software and make something on the 'puter for it to carve.

Main key note: KEEP IT CLEAN, vacuum it out and blow the dust out with a light air pressure between each carving. Also, keep a check on things, making sure screws are tight on the bits, nothing is binding up, no unusual noises, etc. Same as when you buy a new car.

As far as the moulding, yes it will make it, but slowly. I only use mine to make a moulding when I have to match a customers for a window/door or two. It does save me money that way. But any kind of regular production of 8-12 foot moulding, just too slow.

Cabinet doors, 24" wide? No. 24" long, yes. Making the whole door, styles, raised panel, etc? it could, but you are better off with a table saw and shaper.

I hope I answered you questions. The machine is great for doing what it does.

Again, Welcome,
Ed

Jeff_Birt
11-25-2007, 10:24 AM
Welcome! I think you'll find that the great thing about this forum is that it allows machine owners a place to share ideas and discuss problems. Naturally, people will write to ask about a problem they are having but almost never will they just drop a note to say, 'hey, my machine is still working fine'. That's just human nature. I spent quite a bit of time reading the forum before deciding to purchase my own machine and was impressed that I go to find out both the good and bad points of the machine so I could make an informed decision. If you do have troubles CW stands behind their machine and will take care of you.

I spent quite a number of years servicing CNC machines of all price ranges and sizes. Believe me when I say that there is no such things as a plug-and-play CNC machine. No matter how big or expensive the machine is you have to do basic preventative maintenance. This includes keeping the machine clean, lubrication, changing consumable items (like the traction belts and installing new bits in the adapters). It's really no different in concept than taking care of your car (you wash it, change the oil, put on tires, get it aligned, tune ups and other items). Keeping the machine clean is the #1 best thing you can do.

The vast majority of problems that folks have with this machine are due to user error. I will gladly lump myself into that category. Just last week my carving bit came loose during a carve (almost 100 hours on the bit). I should have done a better job at checking that it was tight before installing it into the machine. Luckily, I caught it before it broke the bit. I am not implying that the machine is without problems, I think there are a few folks who have had several. The great part is that CarveWright stands behind their product and is there to provide service after the sale.

The best advise for a new owner is to read, read and read some more. Read the owners manual that comes with the machine (I even made a copy for the shop). Read the Designer 'Help' file to learn about the software. Read over this forum as there is a LOT of great information here. I would HIGHLY suggest becoming familiar with the forums 'Search' feature. When you have a question like, 'Why are all my carving coming out too small', or "Why do the JPGs I imported carve really bad", you'll be able to do a search and probably find the answer.