PDA

View Full Version : Board doesn't stop

Azbear
11-24-2007, 09:44 AM
I started a new project and the unit will measure side to side, then front to back, the board just keeps going. I looked at the board sensor under the z truck. Don't see anythiing obvious. I double checked my board for flatness. Ran it through the planner and also planed the edges thinking the board roller, (brass with oring) was losing contact. ???

I've found "posts" and "threads" in our forum, but when I click to open, I get an error and it states I'm not authorized to open the post.

I do recall a few members having the same issue as I have, but can't get to the resolution.

I am also trying to speak with a tech at LHR but no luck for far this morning. Maybe they are closed?

Any help is always welcomed.

Jeff_Birt
11-24-2007, 10:13 AM
Your right side compression roller switch is probably stuck. Use the sensor test menu (0 then 7, scroll to compression roller screen) to check them. Sometimes sawdust can get packed up in there and stick the switch.

Azbear
11-24-2007, 11:36 AM
what should it read? is there a range?

ok I saw it go to compressed. Tried carve again. same thing. the board just kept going out length wise and did not stop.

LHR still not answering.

Bubbabear
11-24-2007, 02:29 PM
is your board at least 1/2" thick mine did that too me when i tried a board to thin

liquidguitars
11-24-2007, 02:49 PM
what should it read? is there a range?

Just off and on. up= compressed down= released.

LG

Kenm810
11-24-2007, 03:15 PM
Have you tried to read you board sensor while rollers read compressed on a board
Mine at one time always read below 50 even though it looked clean
and occasional pass the project completely through the machine,
plus it would carve projects only 75% of the time, after replacing it,
readings have been staying between 120 and 150 consistently now.
And carves 100% of the time

Azbear
11-25-2007, 08:12 AM
LHR never did return my phone call, 2 of them, nor did they answer when I called numerous times yesterday. Maybe they were closed. Didn't see anything about not being open on the forum or web site.

My board measures .5336" consistantly for the thickness.

After inserting the board and finding the board sensor, about half way up it read 0. All the way compressed it reads 155.

Am am wondering about the board wheel, (brass with oring). How do I check to be sure it's reading the length of the board?

Kenm810
11-25-2007, 08:38 AM
Hey Azbear,

The brass Roller with "O"ring together are part of the tracking sensor,
it tells the machine and board sensor where the project board is,
and when to start looking for the edge of the board.
If the "O" ring is missing, out of its grove, or damaged, the board can and will slip on the sensor
and may continue on its way out the of the end of the machine.

Azbear
11-25-2007, 08:54 AM
I just checked the oring and roller. Seems ok, but is there a way to verify it's working?

Thought it might be my board so I changed it to a piece of walnut with the ends taped so the machine can see the ends. No good. It did the same as the piece of straight pine. While board was moving, I felt both black rollers rotating. Put same piece of pine back in and machine is now carving.

What the heck?

It's a bit cold in my garage these last few days. You don't think...?

Kenm810
11-25-2007, 09:41 AM
Azbear'

There were a few posts and threads about cold weath and cold machines last Winter and this Spring having problems operating properly.
I've already seen a couple this fall already. I really don't know if it would cause a problem with board run out, but it seems possible.
One thing I do know, is that you have to be careful heating or warming your machines in cold weather,
they can and will have condensation collect on the metal parts and mechanisms, and cause rust in short order. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_sad.gif

pkunk
11-25-2007, 10:13 AM
Cold is a factor. The machine will not operate normally if not kept above 55°. I keep mine in my paint room with a small elec. heater set to keep just that space at 60°. You could rig a storage box a little larger than the machine with a light bulb for heat. Keep the bulb away from plastic parts. A warm CW is a happy CW. :D

liquidguitars
11-25-2007, 11:22 AM
If your board is over 1/2 thick, I think the brass roller is not the issue or your board sensor "you are getting good numbers", You must test the rollers first like we said "07" if the rollers sensors are not releasing, your not working hot or cold..

Once dirt gets in the min switch arm "sometimes you can't clean it with a air gun", you will need to remove the side cover and clean. A small screw at the bottom of the sensor can be lossend and you can remove the sensor to clean. repalce, test "07" and back to work...

LG

Azbear
11-25-2007, 06:31 PM
I'm thinking strongly about the temperature thing at the moment. Carved all day with no issues. Seems only when it was cold in my garage.

Will also check out the min arm switch in greater detail.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

It's a "B" when one lives in Arizona and has to deal with the "cold weather" !!!

just a bit of fun'in with you cold weather folks. thanks again.

phoenix02
11-26-2007, 06:20 PM
I was having the same problem with my second and third machine before I took them back. I was able to get it to work- until something else broke- by shining a flashlight in through the cover. My assumption was that there wasn't enough light for the optical sensor to pick up the contrast difference of the edge of the board. The flashlight seemed to solve the issue, but I also only got that one carve out before it crapped out on me, so I don't know if it was a coincidence. Worth a try, at least.

Good luck and have fun!

-Michael