PDA

View Full Version : Something else broke on my machine

PsalteryDreams
11-23-2007, 04:46 PM
I just started carving a a simple pattern that was on the wine rack pattern i found in the forums. When i saw a small piece of plastic fall off my machine and onto the board. I hit the stop button immediately. Can anyone tell me what this piece is? I tried calling LHR but was put on perpetual hold today.

Kenm810
11-23-2007, 05:16 PM
It's part of the old homing sensor which I believe is no long used or activated in the machines,
there was quit a few of them breaking of being damaged several months age,
and with the current 1.120 software they have become redundant and are no longer active.

dustyshp
11-23-2007, 07:13 PM
I had the same thing happen about a month ago
The part also has something to do with probe postion while scanning.
LHR told me that if I did not have a probe I was fine to run without it.
I do have a probe so they sent me the new Z-Bundle.
I was able to carve just fine until the part arrived.

PsalteryDreams
11-26-2007, 11:13 AM
I went ahead and started carving something and the bit took a nose dive into my board and snapped. I am getting a little irritated, I have only had the machine for a little over a week

oldjoe
11-26-2007, 11:36 AM
It sounds like the Z axis went haywire. Call LHR they will probably send you the new and improved Z pack.

scw
11-27-2007, 05:38 AM
the little plastic piece is from the old homing sensor.

your machine will not work without it unless you get the new "Z bundle" AND update the machine firmware to 1.121.

The Z Bundle eliminates this sensor and its flat ribbon connector at the Z motor board. You also must upgrade the machine firmware, (a link is sent to you for that download)....dont be confused, this firmware update is for the operating system of the MACHINE ONLY, it has nothing to do with the Designer Software.

The Z Bundle also includes a new improved main interconnect board.

PsalteryDreams
11-27-2007, 06:54 AM
When I told the guy at LHR about the broken part he did not offer the new z-bundle as a fix. I sent an email this morning to ask about it. I may call again this afternoon

Jeff_Birt
11-27-2007, 08:14 AM
As long as you are running firmware 1.120 then you do not need the homing sensor. As of firmware version 1.119 they switched to a mechanical homing process that eliminated the need for it (and it works quite well).

Open Designer, click on Help->Check for updates and make sure you have the latest version of Designer (also 1.120). Upgrade if you need to. The next time you go to upload a file to your memory card it will check the firmware version on it and ask you to upgrade if needed.

Firmware version 1.121 is only needed IF you have the new Z-bundle installed. This firmware version takes care of the wiring difference for the probe between the original Z-motor design and the new Z-bundle design. It has no effect on homing at all.

pkunk
11-27-2007, 09:50 AM
As long as you are running firmware 1.120 then you do not need the homing sensor. As of firmware version 1.119 they switched to a mechanical homing process that eliminated the need for it (and it works quite well).

Open Designer, click on Help->Check for updates and make sure you have the latest version of Designer (also 1.120). Upgrade if you need to. The next time you go to upload a file to your memory card it will check the firmware version on it and ask you to upgrade if needed.

Firmware version 1.121 is only needed IF you have the new Z-bundle installed. This firmware version takes care of the wiring difference for the probe between the original Z-motor design and the new Z-bundle design. It has no effect on homing at all.
However, if when the homing sensor comes out, it breaks wires inside, then it is inoperative.

PsalteryDreams
11-27-2007, 02:57 PM
I am running version 1.20. I can't really afford to keep buying carving bits so i was worried about starting to carve again. I just bought a new bit if it breaks this one (diving into board) ill have to take the machine back and buy it again later in 2008

Jeff_Birt
11-27-2007, 03:28 PM
If you don't have a probe be safe and unplug the small ribbon cable that runs down from the Z-motor interconnect board to the Z-truck. It carries the signals for the probe and the old home sensor. Even though the home sensor is no longer used by the machine, it's broken state could be causing intermittent shorts confusing the rest of the sensors. I believe that CW is telling folks to just unplug that small ribbon cable to prevent any issues it might cause. If you have a probe they can send you a new cable to hook the probe to its new connector. (Then you'll need to upgrade to firmware 1.121 to use the probe).

PsalteryDreams
11-27-2007, 03:33 PM
Thanks, I haven't really been able to carve anything but a small sign before the machine started goofing up.

Bubbabear
11-27-2007, 03:48 PM
Personally if it is broken I would want them replacing it now while it is still under warranty. if you wait till you have a need for it and it is out then it is all in your hands and out of your pocket. Guess i am funny about things like that it dont matter if i need it or not i paid for it to be right and i want it right

oldjoe
11-27-2007, 08:12 PM
Keep calling LHR they can be hard to get ahold of especially around lunch time. Try another time of day.