PDA

View Full Version : scan scale

TIMCOSBY
11-22-2007, 01:10 AM
you would think as accurate as the machine is the scanned file would be the same size as the original but no they got to throw a monkey wrench into that and make it smaller for some reason that eludes me. also no way to scale it up in pattern editor befor putting it into the library. or am i missing something?

liquidguitars
11-22-2007, 02:03 AM
You could add 4 scaling marks to your sled to make an outside bounding box index for the software to read on the top your sled. Say you are scanning an object that fits inside a 14” x 12” box, drill holes on the sled at your outside marks then scan little bigger than needed ”the marks will show in your scan” import into designer to scale up to 14” x 12” this way you will get 1/1 scale sizing.

LG

TIMCOSBY
11-22-2007, 03:57 AM
yea i scaled it too but it shouldn't be that way looks like they had to go out of there way to scale it down when it came into pattern editor. this was a light switch so it has to be a certain size because of the screw holes. i was just venting cause i was dumb and just assumed they were the same size cause i was careful not to stretch the inserted pattern and copied it 7 times and carved it with 7 switch covers all 1/2" smaller than they needed to be. :D:D::D live and learn...

Jeff_Birt
11-22-2007, 09:43 AM
Tim, not trying to pick on you, but again a search would have saved you a lot of frustration. It's not my intent to sound like a broken record, but rather to help you learn about making use of the the tools the forum has to offer. :D

Searching for "scan scale" and did not find much, so I then searched for "scan size" and found this (yes, I new that this thread was there but I did find it by searching): http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4741&highlight=scan+size

The gist of it is that on 'best' scan quality the resolution is 1/100" and the machine interprets patterns at 1/128". You can scale it in Designer manually or use CBPE's 'Life-Size' tool to do it for you.

TIMCOSBY
11-22-2007, 11:57 PM
i was hoping to help someone else from making the same mistake and if i had just looked at the size boxes i would have seen it. so if anything is scanned at best i should be able to divide the 100 and 128 to get the scale factor after i insert. do you know the numbers for draft and normal?